Sometimes when trying to fix the ‘memory could not be read’ error in Windows , other issues arise. For this reason, through this guide you will learn how to remove ‘COM Surrogate stopped working’ virus error in Windows 10, 8 and 7.
What is COM?
The term a COM refers to Component Object Model (in Spanish, Component Object Model ). COM is part of an interface created by Microsoft Windows, which allows the ability to create COM objects.
The objective of these objects varies from program to program, however, it could be said that it is a way of integrating one program with another and extending their characteristics. Windows makes extensive use of this interface, in fact, it is essential for the correct functioning of the operating system.
Thanks to these characteristics, Windows sub-processes are also carried out. A clear example of this is the creation of thumbnails of the images. As you will see, it specifically refers to processes that are carried out in a “hidden” way.
What is COM Surrogate?
Now that we know what the COM interface is, it’s time to learn about the COM Surrogate process. Certainly the operation of this process is very interesting, in fact, it is essential for the stability of the system.
COM Surrogate is used as a backup object, it starts together with the original process, but externally. The objective of COM Surrogate is that if at any time the original application fails, the process that will be closed will not be the running App but COM Surrogate.
It’s a way to keep applications working properly even after minor glitches. For this reason, the process appears from time to time in the task manager and is rarely a problem for users.
COM Surrogate is included within dllhost.exe, so it appears within this process. Although sometimes it is also shown as “COM Surrogate”. When problems with these characteristics arise, sometimes it is necessary to recover Windows 10 and go back to a previous version , but there are other alternatives that you can try.
Remove ‘COM Surrogate stopped working’ error in Windows 10, 8 and 7
Beyond the basic methods to repair your Windows 10 PC without formatting , one of the usual ways to eliminate the ‘COM Surrogate has stopped working’ error is by using the Data Execution Prevention (DEP) tool .
- To use this method, the first thing to do is open the “Run” program. You can do this by pressing the Windows + R key combination or by looking directly in the start menu.
- Once the “Run” application has been properly opened, you must type “sysdm.cpl” and click on OK. After this, you will be directed to the System Properties.
- Here you should go to “Advanced Options” and locate the “Performance” tab. You will see that there is the option “Settings”, click on it.
- The performance options will be displayed, go to the last tab at the top “Data Execution Prevention”.
- Now you must enable the option “Activate DEP for all programs and services except those I select”.
- Click on the add button and locate the file Dllhost.exe. This file can be found inside the System32 or SysWOW64 folder, depending on your operating system. When finished, simply click on Accept.
Disable thumbnails to remove COM Surrogate virus error
As we noted earlier, one of the functions of COM Surrogate is the creation of thumbnails. Given this, it is convenient to disable this function, which sometimes fixes the problem.
- Go to any folder and locate the “File” tab at the top left of the folder.
- You will see the option “Change folder and search options”, click on it to make the configuration.
- In the folder options, go to the “View” tab. Here you will find the option “Always show icons, never thumbnails”. Make sure the above option is checked and click OK.
If none of the above works, you can try repairing the Windows operating system startup without formatting . Anyway, if even after trying the above, nothing works, don’t be afraid to install Windows from scratch , which is usually the solution to all problems.