What is a WiFi Hotspot?
In short, we can define a Wi-Fi hotspot as an internet access point that is available for users to connect to it wirelessly.
Initially these access points became famous in places where many people usually congregate, such as libraries, coffee shops, universities, airports, hotels and food places.
In this way, any user with a mobile device, laptop or tablet can connect to these access points to surf the Internet completely free of charge.
It should be noted that there are certain differences between Wi-Fi, Wi-Fi Direct and Mobile Hotspot , so they are not the same.
How does a Wi-Fi hotspot work?
This device is connected to an internet network and generates a Wi – Fi radio field of at least 15 meters. In other words, all devices within this distance will be able to access the internet by simply connecting to the Wi-Fi Hotspot wirelessly.
In other words, we will not have to configure or connect a lot of cables to establish an internet connection. Currently there are Wi-Fi devices that have a greater range due to the fact that they have a greater number of antennas, so it will not be necessary to stay very close to these devices to be able to access the internet wirelessly.
You can even buy a personal one and take it with you wherever you want so that in this way you can connect to the internet from almost anywhere. And you can also create a wifi access point from the pc to share the internet.
Types of Wi-Fi Hotspot currently available
Next, in this new section, we will talk in great detail about the types of access points that currently exist. In some cases we will explain how to configure them so that you can use them without problems.
This type of device is generally not completely free, since to have access you will have to be staying in a hotel or having lunch in a restaurant. Therefore it is a service, since access will be guaranteed as long as you consume a specific service.
Even, sometimes we will have to enter our email, telephone number or our credit card details to be able to access the connection that this device offers us.
Currently there are devices that we can buy in any electronic device store whose function is to serve as a wifi router antenna that we can always have by our side so as not to be left without an internet connection wherever we go.
Once you buy it, you simply have to subscribe to an internet service for this Hotspot to have a data plan. In this way we can be connected to this device at all times wirelessly either through our mobile, tablet or laptop.
Mobile device such as Wi-Fi hotspot
We will also have the possibility of turning our mobile into a Wi-Fi hotspot to allow other devices to connect and have access to the internet. Later we will explain how this process works.
To use your smartphone as an access point you simply have to follow the following steps:
- First of all you must go to the menu and select the option “settings”
- Then you have to press the option “Wireless connections “
- Once there you will see a list of options, among them you must select one that says “access points ” or “portable wifi zone”
- In the case that it is the first time that you are going to enable this function, then you must make some initial adjustments so that you can turn your mobile device into a Wi-Fi antenna.
- Basically you will have to add a name to your Android mobile to differentiate it from other devices. We recommend giving it a name that you can easily remember.
- You also have to add a new passkey, since the other devices that want to connect will have to enter it correctly.
- It is advisable to create a secure and easy-to-remember password that has numbers, letters and some special characters, in this way we will ensure that no one can guess this password to access our mobile without permission.