What is a CAN Network?
CAN network or campus network (Campus Area Network) is a network LAN dispersed in a given area or geographic location. It is encoded or programmed using various protocols where the methods known as “broadcast series” are used.
The area in which this network is encoded is larger than a local area LAN , but smaller than a wider area network such as a metropolitan one. In addition, components such as cabling, routers, switches, among others, are used. This CAN network is also known as a type of multiplexed network. This means that it avoids point-to-point connection except at hooks, thus reducing the use of cabling.
What is this Campus Area Network for?
This CAN network is used for many things, but its main use is to maintain the connection in various buildings within a certain area, which can even extend to kilometers of distances from each other and from the main server depending on the reason for which it is used. .
This network allows to have a robust system in terms of data consistency, which guarantees a higher quality in the transfer of information and the ease of doing it remotely; Furthermore, there are different advantages when using this type of network, such as:
- Better flexibility in configuration, connection and special administrator permissions.
- A multi master system.
- Fast response guarantee in terms of latency time.
Thanks to these advantages we can have a better administration of the area for which this network was created. This facilitates quick bug fixes, as well as increased server support.
How does a CAN Network work?
The CAN network, as already mentioned, is mainly used to keep different types of buildings connected. This feature makes it very useful to use in places such as: universities, military bases, medical centers, government offices, among others, where its use is varied.
Its usage method includes common technologies such as FDDI and Gigabyte Ethernet, and to achieve communication plus information transfer efficiently. The recommended connectivity to create this network is fiber optic, taking into account that it covers different types .
Additional information about the CAN Network
Although it seems incredible; programming, computing and the use of networks continues to advance more and more. It is for this reason the CAN network has undergone changes that are perfectly adapted to different tasks and uses. For example:
- The can network and the use in railways, trains or trams, allows the activation of brakes, doors, alarms and many other functions.
- In health areas this network is a very useful tool, such as in laboratories, allowing the connection between test machines and computers, as well as in operating rooms, x-ray rooms and even patient beds.
- BUS use this network; It is an adaptation of the CAN network system for automobile services. Which allows you to carry out a complete diagnosis of the vehicle and digitally see any fault that may present. In this field, the CAN network is very advanced, exceeding the expectations of many.
As we saw in this article, the CAN network is the best option to create connections in a certain space or area and thanks to its operation, it is possible to have better administration and control in that area. So if you have a business or want to use this network elsewhere, this information will help you.