Most people spend hours in front of the screen of their electronic devices without thinking about the risks that the blue light emitted by these devices can cause; or even many do not even know that their devices emit a blue light. This article will explain what does the blue light emitted by the screen of a device mean? and what dangers this light causes.
What does the blue light emitted from the screen of a device mean?
The sun is the main source of light. Exposure to such light, without excess, is usually beneficial for health. But in this article we will talk about the artificial blue light emitted by electronic devices, such as smartphones, tablets, lamps, laptops, televisions and monitors; which is highly energetic and harmful to health.
The light emitted by these devices may appear white at first glance and this is because it is made up of different colors that give the impression that it is white; but the reality is that this white light is made up of approximately 25% blue light.
So blue light is electromagnetic particles that travel in waves; There are two types of blue light, turquoise and purple. The latter (violet) is the one present in electronic devices, and it is the most harmful because it has a wavelength of 380 to 450 nm.
Because blue light waves are short, they have higher energy; therefore they cause severe damage to the sight. The energy of blue light penetrates directly into the retina because the eye does not have a filter designed to prevent the harmful effects of this light.
Risks produced by the blue light emitted by the screens of electronic devices
- Age-Related Macular Degeneration ( AMD ); disorder that slowly destroys vision. Although this disorder is associated with age, the use of electronic devices increases the risk of suffering from this disorder.
- Fatigue and visual stress that can also cause headaches, dry eyes or watery eyes, red eyes, among others.
- Interrupts the sleep cycle; Being exposed for long hours to blue light at night reduces the production of melatonin, a hormone that is responsible for telling the body that it is time to sleep. When this hormone decreases users suffer from insomnia.
- It produces skin damage ; to the point of causing premature aging or blemishes on the skin.
- Cataract formation
- Accelerates the process of blindness in some individuals.
- Some experts claim that it increases the risk of cancer.
Tips to avoid damage from exposure to this type of light
- Wear glasses designed to block blue light while using your devices. These glasses are available in various stores including Amazon or AliExpress.
- Activate dark mode on your Android , iOS devices and any other screen you use during the day from 7pm. If they are not available, many apps also have a dark version. Also find out if your computer or TV has filters to mitigate this light.
- Reduce the time you spend using these devices, it is recommended to spend a maximum of 6 hours a day in front of these devices.
- Eat foods rich in antioxidants; among them we can mention kiwi, orange, zucchini, pumpkins, melon, mango, among others.
- Reduce the brightness of the screen of all your Android , iOS and any other devices you use, especially at night.
- To reduce eyestrain when using your PC or mobile , try to lubricate your eyes naturally by blinking constantly.
- Many specialists advise the use of sunscreen if you are going to spend many hours in front of the screen of a device such as a PC, laptop or TV.
- If you have a mobile of this brand, you can activate the visual rest mode or night mode in Huawei .
- Use the tablet or smartphone at a safe distance from your face.
Electronic devices are necessary today, that is why we are all exposed daily to the blue light that they emit. Although it is difficult to avoid the use of this equipment, we can take measures to reduce the risk caused by the blue light emitted by a device.