What are the most dangerous places to connect to a Wi-Fi network?
The public Wi-Fi networks can become a real danger to equipment such as tablet, smartphone, laptop. They are even a threat to the security and privacy of users; since they are access points that are manipulated by cybercriminals to attract victims. That is why it is extremely important that you protect yourself from open Wi-Fi networks in the right way.
Attacks on Wi-Fi networks are known as man in the middle ; because there is an intermediary (cyber attacker) between the information we send from our computer and the website we visit. That is why they are effective attacks and difficult to detect.
Cybercriminals mainly use crowded sites to create and configure fake Wi-Fi networks , or configure public networks in order to lure their victims and commit their crimes, such as stealing personal data or infecting computers with malware. The most dangerous places to connect to a Wi-Fi network are:
Airports, train and bus stations
These are very popular places for all kinds of people, including tourists, who usually wait long hours or are eager to communicate with friends, family or other people; the best way to communicate or be distracted is to use the internet and Wi-Fi networks are the best ally, but at the same time it opens the doors of our privacy to criminals.
These are places where you can find a wide variety of stores, offices, banks and a large number of people who come to these places to perform an endless number of tasks; That is why access to Wi-Fi networks is very frequent, therefore attackers frequent these places.
Libraries, museums, hotels, cafes and restaurants
Usually in these places there are many people with tablets, smartphones and laptops who use Wi-Fi networks to perform multiple tasks, thus opening the door of their equipment for cyber attacks.
They are places very frequented by people who go to rest, read, exercise or go for a walk; so they are ideal sites to find fake Wi-Fi networks that seem legitimate, but are really a scam to access our computers.
Cybercriminals or hacker deploy fake networks and replicate the exact name of another authentic network so that users can access them without suspecting that it is a fraudulent network and the aforementioned sites are perfect places to deceive people.
Tips to protect yourself in the most dangerous places to connect to a Wi-Fi network
- Use HTTPS secure encryption or verify that the website has a green lock icon that guarantees that it is a secure page.
- Keep your computer’s operating system updated with the latest version.
- Install antivirus and the best antimalware programs on your computers, and update them frequently. That way you will avoid security holes.
- Update your web browser frequently.
- If it is not necessary, do not access online services where you have personal information, such as email, social networks or bank accounts, it would be ideal to use mobile data to access these sites.
- Use a VPN network to navigate , as they allow a secure connection, an excellent application is Norton WIFI Privacy.
- Use common sense and avoid using Wi-Fi networks with attractive names, such as free Internet, Free Wi-Fi, free network; because these are decoys used by hackers.
- When you finish using a Wi-Fi network, deactivate it on your device .
- If you are in a hotel, cafeteria, museum, library or any other place, ask an employee what the name of the Wi-Fi network is, this will help you make sure that you are entering a legitimate network.
Currently we need to be connected to the internet and the Wi-Fi network is a great advantage; but at the same time it is a great threat to our privacy and security, because many of these networks are created by cybercriminals with the intention of violating the security of users; so use common sense when connecting to a Wi-Fi network.