Do you have a file in Tar.gz format that you cannot open? Then we recommend reading the following guide in which we will teach you how to unzip Tar.gz files in a specific folder in Windows. In this way, you will be able to properly save the information contained in a document that contains these attributes.
What are Tar.gz files?
The Tar base file format gets its name from “Tape Archivers”, as it was originally designed specifically to store various files on magnetic tapes. On many occasions, this type of file integrates programs, which is why it is relatively common in the Linux operating system.
On the other hand, the file in Tar.gz format is the compressed version of Tar, since originally tar does not have any type of compression. Fortunately, it is possible to unzip Tar.gz files in Windows using the process that we will teach you below.
How to unzip Tar.gz files to a specific folder in Windows
Certain programs are capable of opening and decompressing files in the Tar.gz format and in the tar format. In any case, the most recommended option is 7-Zip, a well-known decompression software that has full compatibility with the type of files in Tar.gz format.
In the event that you have a file in Tar.gz format, don’t worry because the 7-Zip application is one of the best applications to decompress files of this type. If you have questions regarding this process, please read the following information carefully.
Configure 7-Zip to be able to use it
To change the language of 7-Zip, open the application, directly from the 7zFM executable file. Once the program is open, go to the “Tools” section and click on “Options”. Finally, select the “Language” tab and choose the Spanish language which will show as “Spanish”. After the above, just press the “Accept” button.
On the other hand, in case the contextual menu is not displayed when pressing “the secondary click”, you will have to open 7zFM, locate the “Tools” section, then choose the “7-Zip” option and enable the “Contextual menu” options cascade “,” Integrate 7-Zip into the Windows context menu “,” Integrate 7-Zip into the Windows context menu (32-bit) “. After that, press “OK” and this menu will appear properly.
We recommend that you perform all the configuration options by opening the program in administrator mode, for this, just right-click on the 7zFM file and choose the option “Run as administrator”.
Use 7-Zip to unzip files in Tar.gz format
- By default, the 7-Zip application shows a context menu when we right-click, this being the option we will use on this occasion. Go to the file in Tar.gz format and right click on it.
- Now you should go to 7-Zip, after which the context menu will appear. It should be noted that this menu is often displayed in English, but don’t worry as we will show you the options in both English and Spanish.
- In this menu you must click on the option “Extract Files … / Extract files …”
- After the previous step, the extraction menu will be displayed on the screen, you just have to press on the three dots (…) that appear in the upper right part.
- Now choose the folder in which you want to unzip the file in Tar.gz format and click on the “OK” option.
- After the above, click “accept” again; This action will start the decompression of the file in Tar.gz format.
It is important to note that many times the files in Tar.gz format include documents with the “tar” extension, a type of file that is also compatible with 7-Zip, so it is possible to decompress it without major inconveniences. Also, you can put a password to the file using 7-Zip in order to give it a higher level of security.