The way the internet works is a real wonder, and those who try to understand each and every one of the components that are created, formed and established on any device, are entering something very interesting. Knowing the IP address , and identifying it in dynamic or static, is essential to filter connections and improve the user experience.
If you are that type of curious, you are reading the correct article, since here you will know the elements that are on your device every time you connect to a home, work or university network.
The issue of IPs
Surely you have heard about the IP before, but … how much is known about them? A system or device that provides internet to your desktop computer, laptop, tablets and smartphones in your home, needs to have information related to each of these devices .
So that? In addition to being important information for devices responsible for providing internet connection to all this variety of equipment, it can be very useful for you when implementing some security measures, such as filtering connections.
However, that is another issue … the point is that the IP is an important data set for the correct functioning of the connection to the network established with other devices and that are of vital help for its identification.
The types of IP
In this sense, it is important to note that there are different types of IP, which, surely, most people are unaware of. That is why, as it was said at the beginning … it is a much more extensive and interesting world than anyone could imagine.
- On the one hand, you find the public IP, which belongs to each and every one of the devices connected to a network.
- On the other hand, there is the private IP, which, unlike the first, is assigned by the device in charge of distributing the signal (a router, for example) at the exact moment the connection is established.
Quick question: do you think there are only these two types of IP? If the answer is no, you are correct, since two more classifications of these elements arise from these two types of IP, which are known as:
- Static IP : it has a permanent character in terms of its identification when it is connected to a router (to cite an example).
- Dynamic IP – Device identification may vary as it connects and disconnects from the network.
What type of IP do I have?
Given all this information, it is likely that curiosity has aroused and you are interested in knowing the type of IP that your computer has. For your fortune, finding out is an extremely simple task, you just have to follow these instructions:
- Enter your computer’s settings.
- Click on the “Network and internet” section.
- Select the option that corresponds to your connection type (WiFi or Ethernet).
- Click on “Change adapter options”.
- A window will open in which you must select again the type of connection established on your computer and right-click and then click on the “Properties” option .
The moment of the truth!
Once you have followed all these steps, the moment you press the “Properties” option . A new window will open with all the information that you have wanted to know so much.
In this new box, more specifically in the “General” tab, you will see a series of options related to the IP address of your computer. Knowing if your IP is static or dynamic is very simple: if the option marked is “Obtain an IP address automatically”. It means that the address of your computer is dynamic.
Therefore, every time your computer (especially a laptop) connects to the Wi-Fi network of your home or office, the router will assign a different address .
Didn’t you imagine it would be so easy?
As you have already seen, maintaining an internet connection has interesting elements like these, and accessing this type of information in Windows is extremely simple, information that, without a doubt, will never hurt. Knowing if your IP address is dynamic or static has never been so easy. What are you waiting for?