What is it for? Among other things, you can test your website without publishing it, verify that a site works before changing DNS, perform DNS-related tasks, block different DNS accesses to your computer , etc.
When modifying the host file it is necessary to add two entries. Each of these entries has an IP address and a domain. It is quite simple in all and can be considerably useful in many situations.
The best of all is that it is so easy to make these changes, that it does not hurt to know how to enter and modify the host file in Windows 10 just in case we need to do it one day.
How to modify host file in Windows 8 and Windows 10
If you have Windows 8 or 10 installed and you want to be able to modify the host file, you must follow the steps that you will see below. It is not complicated at all and in a short time you will be able to modify said file to your liking.
- The first thing you will have to do is press the Windows key or go to start.
- Type “Notepad ” or just search for it in applications.
- Once you find notepad you will have to open it as an administrator. For this you must right click on the app and “Run as administrator “.
- In the notepad you will have to open the following address “c: \ Windows \ System32 \ Drivers \ etc \ hosts”.
- Proceed to make the changes you need to make and once you are done simply save the file from the “File ” menu found at the top left of the notepad.
How to change host file in Windows 7 and Windows Vista
- You have to go to start and look for the “Notepad ” you can write it or access it from “Accessories “.
- Whatever the case, you must open it as an administrator. For this you will simply have to right click on “Notepad” and click on “Run as administrator “.
- A confirmation message appears to give permissions. You just have to press continue.
- In the notepad you should go to the top left of the “File ” screen and then you should open the following file: “c: \ Windows \ System32 \ Drivers \ etc \ hosts”.
- Modify the file in question and then you will simply have to save it. For this you will have to go back to “File” in the upper left.
How to modify host file in Linux
- You have to open a “Terminal ” window .
- Next, you are going to have to type the host command in the text editor. This command is: “sudo nano / etc / hosts “.
- You have to enter the user password .
- After this, you will have to make the changes that you think are necessary in said file.
- Now you have to press Ctrl + X.
- A pop-up window will appear asking if you want to save the changes. Just press “Y” and you’re done.
In almost all operating systems, the way to open the host file in order to modify it is considerably similar and, as you can see, it is not complicated at all. In a matter of a few seconds you will be able to learn how to enter and modify host file in Windows 10.
If you have any kind of doubt about it or about another related topic, we recommend you browse through Miracomosehace where you will find countless tutorials, guides and very detailed tricks for Windows, Mac OS and Linux that will facilitate many tasks that you thought were complicated.
In turn, if you have any kind of problem to enter and modify the host file in Windows, you can leave us a comment with your question a little below.