Do you need to download and install HEVC video codecs on Windows ? If you are interested in video content, in the following guide you will learn how to convert videos to H.265 and save much more storage space, a very useful topic if you store a large amount of audiovisual content.
What is the H.265 codec?
H.265 which is also known as x265 or HEVC, short for High Efficiency Video Coding. This refers to a compression format of exceptional capacities, which allows to have a very outstanding video quality while reducing the weight of the files.
The H.265 format has become very famous in recent years, mainly after the emergence of resolutions such as 4K, since it is one of the most efficient options when compressing files, being especially useful to save storage space. Therefore, it is important that you know what it is and what are the types of video formats that exist .
Using the HEVC codec it is possible to greatly reduce the size of the videos, obtaining excellent quality. Even so, it should be noted that it is a more demanding option in terms of processing level, which is why older processors could have problems with the codec.
In any case, the benefits that H.265 offers are huge. Therefore, we recommend you try it right now if you want to save space. Next, we will teach you the basic conversion process so that you have your videos in this format.
How to Convert Videos to H.265 and Save Much More Storage Space
This time we will use the HandBrake tool , a very good software with which you can convert to the H.265 format without major problems.
HandBrake is an open source program , with which it is possible to convert files of various formats. In addition, the software is well known for offering advanced options specially designed for more knowledgeable users.
In any case, even a more novice user can use the program, being one of the best options for converting videos to the H.265 format. Another very remarkable aspect is that you can find the software both in the Windows operating system, as well as in Mac and Linux.
You can download the application directly from its official website, but keep in mind that the program works only on 64-bit operating systems. To download the software, you can go to the official handbrake site, once there, just select the appropriate option for your system.
Use HandBrake to convert videos to H.265 format
Once you have successfully installed the HandBrake program, you can use it to convert your videos to the efficient H.265 format, this process can be done very easily in this way:
- The first step is to open the program, as you can see, as soon as you launch it, the system will ask you to drag an audiovisual or a folder in which the video files you want to convert are located.
- Understanding that we will use the H.265 codec to save space, we will not need to make too many changes, however, go to the “Video” tab.
- In this section, locate “Video Codec” here you must select H.265, as you will see there are several options, we recommend selecting H.265 [x265 10 bit], as it represents the ideal balance between quality and weight.
- In “Framerate” select the option “Same as source”.
- We recommend selecting the option “Avg Bitrate (kbps)” as the conversion mode, in the same way it is also highly recommended to activate the “2-Pass Encoding” and “Turbo first pass” options.
The bitrate and final steps
- Regarding the bitrate, this will depend specifically on what you are looking for, in any case, keep in mind that the higher the bitrate, the higher the quality.
- On the other hand, as we pointed out before, this codec is very efficient, so you can use figures lower than those of the source and obtain practically the same quality, reducing its weight. However, if there are problems, you can choose to remove or fix the video codec and test its operation again.
- Certainly, in most circumstances, you will arrive at the ideal figure after several trials of trial and error.
- Understanding the above, the last option you should configure is Encoder Preset, where we recommend Fast or Medium.
- In the audio tab, the same principle is fulfilled, select the Bitrate that seems best to you. Finally, in the “Save As” section, choose the destination of the file and the name of your choice. Finally, you must click on the “Start Encode” option.