In the following guide we will discuss how to connect two computers with a USB cable to transfer files, as well as the actions that you must take into account when transferring files between two computers.
How to connect two computers with a USB cable to transfer files
To exchange files between two computers using a USB cable, it is necessary to have a “USB Bridge Cable”. A USB bridge cable is just a cable with two male ports that connect to a computer. It is important to mention that it is possible to transfer files from PC to Android without USB cable . So the procedure differs regarding the use of the accessory.
A USB bridge cable is specifically intended for file transfer. In fact, a conventional cable will not work for this task. Occasionally, the jumper cable has a special driver for file sharing.
- The first thing you should do is install the drivers provided by the manufacturer of the USB bridge cable. You must perform this step on both computers.
- After properly installing the drivers, connect each end of your USB bridge cable to each computer. A new hardware notification should appear on the screen.
- The drivers present in the USB bridge cables also have a program for transferring files. Run this program and start using it to transfer documents between both computers.
With the above process you can transfer files with a USB bridge cable. In any case, this technology is remaining in the past and there are other methods that are more efficient and convenient, such as the transfer through Ethernet cable. However, you can have the option of connecting two PCs to an external hard drive with two USB outputs .
Connect two computers with an Ethernet cable to pass files
File transfer is a functionality that is present on Windows computers. In fact, it is also possible to transfer files between Windows to Mac via Ethernet cable . In this regard, it is not necessary to install any additional drivers. To carry out this process you only need an Ethernet cable.
An Ethernet cable is the most efficient and recommended resource for transferring files between two computers. Therefore, read the steps that we explain below.
- Connect one end of the Ethernet cable to each of the computers on which you want to exchange files.
- The Internet connection icon will be displayed in yellow. Don’t worry because the system will have to properly configure the connection for file sharing.
- Inside the computer where the files you want to share are located, go to the folder where these documents are. Once there, click on “Properties. “
- In the folder properties, press “Share”.
- The file sharing settings window will be displayed. At the top you must select this option in “Reading and writing”.
- A window named “Network Discovery and File Sharing” may appear. Here you must select the option “Yes, allow network discovery and file sharing for all public networks. ” Once the process is finished, click on “Done”.
- Locate the properties again. Go to the “Security” tab and locate the “Everyone” group. Verify that all the options are in “Allow”. If not, click on “Edit” and apply the settings.
- Press the “OK” button for the settings to be saved properly.
Copy the files to the new computer
- Inside the computer on which you want to copy the files, locate the “Network”. You will find this space on the left of your screen when navigating with the explorer.
- Within network, press “sourcecomputer”. Team credentials may be required. Enter the username and password. Afterwards, click on the “Accept” option .
- After the above, the folder that you previously shared will be displayed and you will be able to copy the files properly.