Edmodo is a freemium, educational and social LMS (learning management) platform intended for use in online teaching . This was launched in 2008 and offers the possibility of creating three types of user profiles such as teachers, students, and parents of the student.
Edmodo is currently one of the preferred websites for e-learning , that is, electronic learning. Thus, the platform is used through its web portal, although its use has recently been extended to devices with Android OS, IOS and Windows Phone.
The popularity of this learning method is largely intended to replace classroom-style teaching. This is something that is increasingly used by institutions, courses and universities. Following this trend, Edmodo has emerged as one of the most used LMS / e-learning by both teachers and students in today’s generation.
The Edmodo platform has outstanding features in its operation that are mentioned below:
- It is an e-learning / LMS platform, that is , e-learning and learning management system.
- Edmodo implements communication between student and teacher in a digital and personalized way.
- Edmodo’s learning system allows students to be evaluated taking into account different aspects depending on the subjects or fields of study for which it applies.
- Edmodo’s capabilities include the option of creating a user for parents or student representatives . In this way, they can access information regarding the student’s academic progress.
- The most important and attractive feature of using Edmodo is that it is a free platform .
How does it work?
Edmodo functions as an academic online learning link that enables interaction between teachers, students, and parents. In this sense, the platform allows users to be created under different roles, where each one presents unique functionalities such as those outlined below:
- Teachers: When creating a user as a teacher in Edmodo, it is possible to create a virtual room through which to add content related to academic training, assessments, determine interaction parameters between student users and more. In this sense, a teacher operates as Administrator of a virtual classroom.
- Students: Student users have the ability to join virtual classrooms created by teachers through an invitation or access code. Students can also access all academic content provided by the teacher, access assessments, and interact with other students as allowed by the teacher.
- Parents: Through an account of this type, parents or representatives of a student can access academic information and supervise the activities carried out by students.
To make use of Edmodo and all its virtual learning functions, it is essential to register on its platform by creating a user. To do this, the following explains step by step, how to create a user in Edmodo and log in.
- To create an account on Edmodo, the first step is to access its official page at Edmodo.com.
- Once you are at the Edmodo home page, you need to click on the button that is written “ sign up for a free account ”.
- Then there will be three user options ” teacher account “, ” student account ” and ” family account “, so depending on the type of user you want to create, choose the desired option.
- To create an account as a teacher, you must add an email account and a password. After doing so, press the ” create your free account ” button.
- Following the above, it will be necessary to enter the name and surname for the registration, press ” next ” and that’s it, an account for teachers will have been created.
- In case you need an account as a student, you must enter your personal information and the class code (a code provided by the teacher). In addition, it is necessary to enter an email, a username and a password. Once this is done, simply click on ” create free account ” and that’s it.
- Finally, to create an account as a family member or representative, Edmodo requests that you provide an email account, a telephone number, and a user password. With this, you simply click ” create free account .”
- To log in to this platform, you need to access Edmodo.com.
- Next, press ” Enter “, the button that is located in the upper right part of the screen.
- Then it will be enough to fill in the login form with the username and password.
- Finally, you must click on the ” Enter ” button , and voila, you will have entered the Edmodo platform.
Advantages and disadvantages
As a learning tool, Edmodo is an extremely useful resource for thousands of teachers and students of all academic ranks, which is due to all its strengths and functionalities. However, there are certain limitations that can be quite restrictive for the particular needs of some people. To clarify the picture, here are the main advantages and disadvantages of Edmodo:
- It is a very comfortable and easy-to-use tool for all types of users.
- Being an online tool that can be accessed from the browser, it eliminates the need to download any type of software.
- It offers tools for gamification and educational didactics that allow students to be stimulated.
- It allows creating all kinds of virtual environments focused on learning.
- Unlike other tools, Edmodo seeks to preserve collective education, thus making interaction between students possible.
- It is available in more than 10 languages, so the language barrier is not a limitation for using Edmodo.
- It enables parents to closely monitor the educational growth of their children.
- It offers free use modalities, which are quite complete and do not imply capital limitations.
- It has privacy options that allow keeping a classroom isolated from users outside the educational environment.
- Despite being a useful tool for learning, it does not have the most important functions of the LMS.
- It does not have features such as video conferencing, which is a valuable resource for many types of classes.
- Most of the users and communities that use Edmodo are Anglo-Saxon, which makes it difficult to find guides and information on how to take advantage of the platform in Spanish.
- It does not allow the migration of content between one virtual classroom and another.
- A teacher cannot view the connectivity status of their students.
- There is no instant messaging or private messages for users to communicate with each other.
- If a person does not have internet access, they cannot access or use Edmodo.
Edmodo ranks as one of the best E-learning platforms today. However, there are also other attractive and widely used alternatives that are worth knowing. Here are what they are:
Google Classroom is a tool developed by Google for online education. It was launched in 2014 and provides different functionalities that include email, documents and space in the platform’s cloud. To access it, you only need to click on this direct link to the official page ofGoogleclassroom.com.
Moodle is a platform to manage online learning created in 2001, this system offers personalized environments. Moodle is used for both courses and training. Now, to access it, just click on the following link to the official page ofMoodle.org.
Chamilo is a free software for online learning management developed in 2010. This has the option of monitoring different courses or users through detailed reports of their activity. To use this learning system it is necessary to access this direct link to the official website ofCampus.Chamilo.com.
Sakai is an educational system that was made available in 2005, this educational platform offers the use of it in more than 20 languages and dialects. To use this online educational program it is necessary to access this link to the official website ofsakailms.org.
Swad is better known as the appropriate support platform for teaching created in 2016. Swad is shown as a student learning management system or for teachers in charge of teaching one or more institutions, to access it you just have to click in this link to Swad.ugr.es.