Windows 7 refers to a version of Microsoft Windows that was released in 2009 and, today, is still an operating system managed by a large number of users . Either because they prefer this OS over Windows 10 or simply because their machine can support up to version 7 of Windows.
However, although it is a software with such a long history worldwide and that has been used by countless users, the truth is that certain things of interest about Windows 7 are still unknown . Because, many only handle it to perform common tasks and do not go beyond that.
But, in order to get the most out of Windows 7, it is worth knowing the best tricks, tips, utilities and little-exploited resources of this operating system . Therefore, in this post, we want to point out 30 tricks that you can execute in said operating system to work in a more efficient way.
List of the best 30 Windows 7 tricks that every user should know
As we indicated at the beginning, in order to obtain the maximum performance from Windows 7, it is necessary to know several interesting tricks that will allow you to know little-used functions in this operating system and, also, acquire a much higher quality user experience .
Therefore, if you are still a faithful user of Windows 7 and want to improve your skills on the PC, it is worth trying the following tips that we mention here and do not miss any of them :
Speed up Windows 7 startup (2-core or more micro)
Usually, W7 starts the computer using a single core, but if the machine has a processor with more than one core, it is very important that you choose to take advantage of it so that this operating system starts much faster .
So, if you want to access it, you have to do the following step by step:
- At first, go to the Start menu and type the following word “msconfig”, then ” press Enter” .
- Next, in the window that shows the system, you will have to click on the “boot” tab .
- Subsequently, press the “Advanced Options” button, in order to enter the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Now, check the box that says “Number of processors” and choose how many cores to use at most, and then proceed to check “Amount of memory” and there enter the total of your RAM . Example: If it is 1 GB, enter “1024” .
- Once this is done, press the OK button and then the same button again to be able to exit msconfig. Finally, press the restart button and voila, now you will have a more accelerated system boot.
Start the OS with your favorite music
If you are a music fanatic user, you will surely like Windows 7 to start up with one of your favorite songs and luckily, there is the possibility that your favorite track will be played when the operating system starts . Which, although it may seem complicated, it really is very simple because it is achieved by simply copying the song to the Home folder.
Here are the steps to carry out:
- Directly from Start, type or paste the following: “shell: Startup” and hit the Enter key.
- Next, the Startup folder will open and there, you will have to create an access address to the startup song you want . You do this by right-clicking on the track’s MP3 file to drag and drop it into the Home folder, or by copying and pasting the entire song.
Since then, every time Windows 7 starts up, that song will start playing from the PC’s default player .
Disable team lock
Although it is true, a Windows 7 computer can be locked by pressing the following keys “Windows + L”, and if for any reason you have restricted the PC with this lock function by accident and you want to disable it, there is a simple way to do it ; the process to follow is:
- First of all, go to the search box of the Start menu and enter the word “regedit” there to press the Enter key .
- With the above, the “Registry Editor” will open and from there, on the left side, navigate to the following chain: “HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Policies”.
- Now, in the “Policies” section, click on the “System” folder . If it doesn’t exist yet, you can create it by right-clicking on the “Policies” folder, then selecting “New” and “Password”, in order to have the new folder called “System” .
- Once this is done, you will find the path “HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Policies \ System” and there, on the left side click on “System” and on the right side, look for “DisableLockWorkstation” .
- If it doesn’t exist, do the following: Go to “Edit> New> DWORD Value (32 bits)” and you will call it “DisableLockWorkstation” .
- Next, double-click on “DisableLockWorkstation” and there, modify the value information to “1” to now click on “OK” .
- Finally, restart the computer and if you press “Windows + L”, the lock will no longer be activated.
Create Sticky Notes with Sticky Note
In case you still don’t know, the “Sticky Note” application can be used to jot down phone numbers, write a to-do list or to make any notes you need to set as a reminder. Since, this sticky note application works as a kind of notepad .
Thus, if you are struck by using this tool on your Windows 7 PC, you only have to go to the Start search bar and type “StikyNot” there, and then press the Enter key and that’s it.
Create a system repair disc
In case, unfortunately, you have lost the Windows 7 repair disc and want to recover it, or you have bought a computer with the OS already installed and you do not have that very important disc, there is a trick that allows you to create it easily .
For that, you need to use a blank CD or DVD. Next, you will have to perform the following procedure:
- Start by accessing the Start menu of the computer and type “recdisc” in the search bar, to press Enter.
- With the above, you will be redirected to the “Create a system repair disc” window and once you are there, you must insert the blank CD or DVD into the machine’s drive.
- To conclude, click on the “Create disc” button and now you just have to wait for the process to finish.
Recover Sticky Notes
In case you need to recover the W7 sticky notes or want to create a backup of them, it is required to have access to the hard disk partition where the operating system is installed. For which, mainly, you will have to go to the path: c: \ Users \ username \ AppData \ Roaming \ Microsoft \ Sticky Notes \.
In this case, the letter “c” will correspond to the letter of the disk drive that is linked to the OS ( if it is not “c”, of course you must replace it ) and, in addition, followed by “Users”, you will have to enter the Windows username from which you want to retrieve the sticky notes in question. After this, the steps to be specified are:
- At this point, it is time to copy the StickyNotes.snt file, since this is where all the post-its are stored.
- Later, you have to go to the new Windows, to find the path that corresponds to the user to whom we want to restore these notes .
- Finally, you must replace the StickyNotes.snt file with the old Windows and thus, you will be able to open these post-its in the new OS just as if you were in the old one.
Generally, this trick is used when the user wants to downgrade from Windows 7 to a newer version .
Accelerate computer shutdown
Just as a faster boot can be achieved in Windows 7, it can also be done by shutting down the PC. Thus, the trick is to decrease the time it takes to close each open process, to either 6 or 8 seconds to speed up the shutdown (by default, it takes about 12 seconds).
Here is the step by step to follow to achieve this speed:
- Access the Start menu and in the search box, enter the word “regedit” to press the Enter key.
- With the above, the registry editor will open and on the left side, you will have to find the following path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Control. To do so, keep the Control folder selected .
- Then, inside the Control folder, look for “WaitToKillServiceTimeout” and there, you will see that it shows a value of “12000” . Which refers to the 12 seconds delay to close all processes.
- Next, in the window they show you, proceed to modify this value to “8000” (that is, 8 seconds). Thus, the waiting time to kill a service when you turn off the PC will be 8 seconds and not 12.
Record audio with the sound recorder
If you want to record any audio or sound directly from your computer, without having to use your mobile phone, there is a trick for this in W7. For this, you will have to use the famous system sound recorder that allows you to make quality recordings and save them on your computer as any audio file.
In this way, you will have to make use of a microphone connected to the sound card of your PC to emit the sounds or from any audio device. Once you make sure of this, it only remains to start the W7 sound recorder, just type in the start bar “soundrecorder” and press the Enter key .
Disable search history
For all Windows 7 users, the search offered by this OS is usually very useful. But, once the search history is filled, privacy could be affected and well, show the rest of the people all the searches that are carried out. Therefore, many people choose to deactivate this function through the following procedure :
- In the Start menu, specifically in the search box, you have to enter “gpedit.msc” and press Enter.
- Thus, a window that belongs to the Local Group Policy Editor will open and there, from the left side of the panel, you must access “User Configuration” .
- After the above, go to “Administrative Templates”, now to “Windows Components” and later, to “Windows Explorer” .
- Next, in the right section, find “Disable recent search entries from displaying in Windows Explorer’s search box” and right-click on this entry.
- In the available options, choose “Edit” and in the window that is displayed at that point, click on “Enabled” . Then click “OK” and close the local group policy editor.
Once all of the above is done, Windows 7 will stop storing the search history on the system.
Use Clipping to take screenshots
Although it consists of a very simple W7 hack, it can certainly be of great help to users who need to constantly take screenshots. Thus, a ruse that relies on the Snipping Tool or “Spinning Tool” of the operating system .
In this sense, to make a screenshot or a cut of any existing object on the screen and then edit, save or share the image; You will have to enter the Start menu and type in the search bar “snippingtool” to press Enter and thus start using the tool.
Get Energy Efficiency Report (for Laptops)
In Windows 7, you can use a command that generates a report about the energy efficiency of your computer. Which allows you to know if there are errors or dangers and more details of interest . To do this, before proceeding, you will have to make sure to close all open documents and applications on the laptop.
Thus, do the following:
- From the Start menu, go to “All Programs . “
- Now, click on “Accessories” and then select “Command Prompt” to right click there and then you have to press “Run as administrator” .
- Next, in the cmd, copy this “Powercfg -energy -output trucoswindows.com.html” and hit the Enter key.
- After one minute to complete the monitoring, you will get a complete report based on energy efficiency problems .
It should be noted that the “powercfg” command has many other useful utilities and if you want to know what they are, simply type “Powercfg /?” in the cmd to know them one by one .
Using the magnifying glass of W7
For many users who have vision problems or prefer to adjust the screen size according to their preferences, there is a trick that they can easily use for this in Windows 7. Which is based on activating the magnifying glass that the system contains and thus , zoom in or out of the entire desktop and certain parts of the screen.
In this sense, in order to enable the magnifying glass, you will have to press the Windows key together with the “plus” or “minus” key to open a rectangular magnifying glass to zoom in or out of the panel as much as you want. In other words, by pressing “Windows + (+)” you can zoom in and pressing “Windows + (-)”, you can zoom out. Additionally, they allow you to customize the magnifying glass ; either to follow the keyboard cursor or the mouse point.
Disable automatic restart
In case of errors, it is helpful to disable the automatic restart of a Windows 7 PC . In view of the fact that, in this version of Windows, whenever a failure occurs, the system proceeds to show a blue screen with white letters indicating all the details of the error that has occurred, but as the OS restarts automatically, it does not it is possible to read it well .
So, in order to view this information in detail, do the following:
- In the Start menu, access the Control Panel .
- Second, click on “System and security”, then enter “System” .
- Now, in the left panel, click where it says “Advanced system settings” .
- Later, go to the tab that indicates “Advanced options” and in “Startup and recovery”, click on the “Settings …” button .
- In the new window that opens, specifically within the system error, proceed to uncheck the “Automatically restart” option .
- Finally, click “OK” twice, and from now on, the system will not reboot every time it shows a blue error screen.
Track all actions with Troubled Step Recorder
Through a diagnostic tool known as the “Steps Recorder Problem” that was developed by some Microsoft engineers, it is possible to track all the actions carried out on the computer. Since, this tool combines screenshots with mouse tracking in order to record all the tasks that are executed.
In that sense, if you lend your PC to anyone and you want to know what it does during the experience, you can start the program directly from the Start menu. Through the following procedure:
- In the Start search bar, type “psr.exe” and hit the Enter key .
- Next, you have to press the “Record” button so that the tool begins its tracking around the mouse and keyboard input, at the same time that it takes screenshots based on each new action.
- Once you stop recording, the session will be saved on the computer through an HTML slideshow that recreates all the steps performed on the machine and even allows you to add annotations and comments.
Speed up Internet Explorer 8
If, before any web browser you prefer to use Internet Explorer, this trick can be very helpful. Since, it is based on the registration of a DLL file that is responsible for speeding up your Internet Explore 8 . Being that file, a module that contains the functions used to form the ActiveX COM interfaces.
Therefore, if the idea of accelerating said browser catches your attention, before proceeding you will have to make sure to close Internet Explorer 8 . Then complete the following steps:
- In the Start part of the computer, go to “All programs” and then to “Accessories” .
- Then, selecting and right-clicking on “Command Prompt”, proceed to press “Run as administrator” .
- After that, they will show you a User Account Control window and there, you simply have to click on the “Yes” button .
- At this point, type “regsvr32 actxprxy.dll” directly into the Command Prompt window and hit Enter.
- Thus, you will get a window that indicates that the actxprxy.dll DLL has been registered and with that, you just have to press OK.
- Finally, proceed to open Internet Explorer and verify that it now works much faster than in the past.