There are several versions of Windows 10 , the Microsoft operating system that we all know by now. They are all very efficient and have a user-friendly interface, but they are not without problems. One of the most common problems is that it does not open the search bar and start menu in Windows 10. But don’t worry, in this post we will explain how you can solve it.
Why won’t the search bar and start menu open in Windows 10?
We are all familiar with the arrangement of items on the screen of a computer running Windows. In this, the taskbar at the bottom of the screen contains the Windows or ‘Start’ icon and a search bar, in addition to the applications or websites that you have pinned . So if you can’t see the search bar or the start menu, the taskbar is most likely hidden.
Solving this problem is really simple, and you will see that it is also done quite quickly. All you have to do is follow the steps below:
- Look on your keyboard for the key with the Windows logo, and press it while pressing the key with the letter ‘I’. This will open the ‘Settings’ menu window on your computer.
- Once in this menu, look for the option ‘Personalization’ and, within this, look for ‘Taskbar’ and click on that option. You will see several options appear with an indicator that tells you if they are on or off.
- Look through the options ‘Lock the taskbar’ and make sure it is activated. If it isn’t, slide the indicator to turn it on.
- Then, find the options ‘Automatically hide the taskbar in desktop mode’ and ‘Automatically hide the taskbar in tablet mode’, and disable them. That is, slide the indicator to turn them off.
That’s all you need to do in order to see the search bar and start menu in Windows 10! As you can see, they are very easy steps to follow, and they will not take you any time. If the problem persists despite following the steps to the letter, don’t worry. In the next section we will leave you some things that you can try in that case to find a solution.
Other ways to open the search bar and start menu in Windows 10
Although having the taskbar hidden is the most common cause of not being able to open the start menu and the search bar in Windows 10, it is not the only thing that can explain this problem. On the Microsoft support page there is a section with more options to help you solve this annoying problem. Here we will leave you a summary of the solutions to the most likely problems.
- Restart your computer by pressing the keys’ Ctrl ‘,’ Alt ‘and’ Delete ‘at the same time, then you must choose the option’ Start / Shutdown and, finally, ‘Restart’. It’s not that it’s a magic action that solves all problems, but you might see it as a simple step that could save you work by preventing you from taking other actions.
- Restart Windows Explorer by pressing the ‘Ctrl’, ‘Shift’ and ‘Esc’ keys to open the task manager. Then select the ‘Processes’ tab and look for ‘Windows Explorer’. Next, choose the ‘Restart’ option and wait a few minutes while your action is processed.
- Check if there are updates for your computer by going back to the ‘Settings’ window as indicated in the first section, but this time choose ‘Update and security’, and then ‘WindowsUpdate’. Then click on the ‘Check for updates’ button, install the updates that appear and, if necessary, restart your computer.
It is unlikely that with these steps you have not been able to find a solution, but if this is the case you can also try updating the drivers, creating a new local administrator account or resetting Windows 10 on your PC to factory settings. We hope that the simple solutions in this post have helped you open the search bar and start menu in Windows 10 on your computer.