If you want to know how to unzip a file with a .tar.gz extension in Windows, then we recommend reading the following information in which we will explain the whole process in a few steps.
What is the .tar.gz file format?
Tar is described as a file format used mainly in UNIX, and it can be recognized very easily since its ending ends in .tar. On the other hand, when we talk about files in the .tar.gz format , we are referring to the compressed version of tar documents.
In short, a file in tar format is nothing more than a repository in which documents are stored, with the advantage of having them in one place. Whereas .tar.gz does just fine compressing the file specified above.
Understanding the above, it could be said that both file types are two variants of the same. Therefore, most programs capable of opening files in tar format can also open .tar.gz documents.
Surely, you have the need to unzip Tar.gz files to a specific folder in Windows . Given this, it is necessary to download software and use it. We will teach you this process below.
How to unzip a file with a tar.gz extension in Windows
The procedure to unzip a file with a tar.gz extension in Windows is becoming easier. In this sense, it is important that you know which are the best programs and applications to open compressed files .
To cite a few examples, the famous 7-Zip is completely compatible with files in the .tar.gz format, allowing them to be created (in tar format) and decompressed without major inconveniences.
Certainly, understanding its status as a free application and multiple functions, 7-Zip becomes the most recommended tool in case you want to unzip .tar.gz files.
Download the 7-Zip app
- The first thing to do is download the application, which you can get directly from the 7-zip official website. Once you are here, all you have to do is click on the appropriate “Download” option for your 32 or 64 bit file system .
- Once you have properly downloaded the application, you just have to start the downloaded executable and proceed with the installation, after which you can start using the program with files in .tar.gz format.
Unzip the file with the tar.gz extension in Windows
- Now that you have downloaded the application, you can proceed with the decompression process of this type of files, to do so locate the compressed file in .tar.gz format.
- Unzipping the file with the tar.gz extension in Windows is very easy. To do so, right-click on it, go to “7-Zip” and select the option “Extract to…”, after which the decompression process will begin and you will be able to access the files stored within your .tar.gz.
Compress a file with a tar extension in Windows
Although we cannot compress files directly with 7-Zip in the .tar.gz format, it is possible to create tar files. In case you want to create an archive in tar format, read the following guide:
- Locate the folder or file that you want to compress and press right click, go to the 7-Zip tab and then click on the option “Add to archive”.
- At the top you will find the tab “File format” here you must select the option “tar”. Configure the compression options to your liking and then click on the “OK” option.
That is how easy it is to create a file in tar format, it should be noted that the previous tutorial is also valid in the event that you want to compress to different file formats. If so, all you have to do is switch from “tar” to any other type of compressed document.
Undoubtedly 7-Zip is a very interesting application that you should install on your computer in the event that you constantly need to access various compressed files. It is even possible to encrypt or password the compressed file with 7-Zip . In this way, you will protect the information that the file contains.