When we use a computer it is common to have it connected to the internet network, but you may want to change the public network to a private network . Well, in this article we will talk about how to change your network with a few simple steps, this will not affect your computer system at all.
What types of networks are used and are there in Windows 10?
When you choose a network for your PC, the system configures firewall and security parameters according to the type of network in the area where you are. Following this order of idea, if you are going to connect to a local or work or public network, the parameters must change. In Windows 10 there are only two types of networks that we can access, private networks and public networks.
- Private networks in Windows
This type of network is the one that is recommended to use if we are at home or in our workplace when we use Wi-Fi signal or we are connected by Ethernet. In this network no one can access or connect without the authorization of the Internet network administrator, Windows activates the functions by default.
- Public networks in Windows
This network configuration is very similar to what we can find in public centers with internet access through Wi-Fi networks. Windows 10 makes this network configuration of our computer invisible by default, since security is a priority against possible attempts to access it.
What network do you have on your Windows 10 PC?
If you want to change the network of your computer, first you must find out which one you have active, in a brief and simple way we show you how to find out.
- Enter the control panel.
- To do this, go to the Windows search engine and type “Control Panel”.
- This will open a window where the application appears at the top of the search engine.
- Once you access it, you will see a window called “Adjust the configuration of the Equipment”.
- Press the “Network and Internet” option, once you select the option “Network and Sharing Center”.
- When you open the network center, you will see basic network information and connection settings.
- Notice where it says “Network”, it will tell you if it is private or public.
If the network you have is public then you must follow the steps that we will indicate below in the next section on how to change the public network to private.
How to change my public network to private network in Windows 10?
The Windows 10 operating system allows you to make a network change very easily, if you want to change it to be able to share files. If you want to share the folders you want with other computers, you will have to have a private network, so let’s get to it.
- Press the “Windows Start” logo at the bottom left.
- Then press the gear image, this will take you to Windows “Settings”.
- Among the options that appear on the screen select the one that says “Network and Internet”.
- When you open the new window you will find on the left side the different settings, you will select Ethernet if it is connected by cable or Wifi if it is by wireless network.
- Once you select the one you are using, click on it.
- Later in the new window the configuration called “Network” will appear with a section called “Network profile”.
- As you will notice there are two options “Public” and “Private”. You will select the one you want or in this case the private one, and that’s it.
As I already notice, it is totally easy to change the public network to private with these simple steps that we have described in this article. If you want to change it again, you just have to follow the same procedure, but this time with a different objective that is <private network to public network>. As a last suggestion, we recommend maintaining a security of your Internet connection by Wifi , to take care of your privacy, and protect the network.
We hope this article helped you change the network of your Windows 10 computer and has increased the knowledge you have. In addition, at miracomosehace.com you will find more information regarding networks and internet use in the Windows operating system.