At times, the right-click menu can become large or disorganized due to options that are added over time. Therefore, in this post I will show you how to edit or modify the context menu in Windows 10, 8 and 7.
The context menu is the one that appears when you right-click on the desktop, on a folder, or on a file in Windows. It provides different additional functions or actions that you can carry out, and many programs that tend to add some of their options to it. This can be useful, but the problem is that even uninstalling these programs sometimes fails to remove their menu entries. This can clutter the menu, disorganize it, and slow it down.
Edit the Windows 10 context menu
You can modify the contextual menu, organize it better and reduce the number of options, eliminating elements that are not useful to you. Many programs integrate in their configuration options to manage the integration to the browser. If you are looking for this option, you can deactivate the integration to the contextual menu from the same program. If not, then you will have to do it through the Windows Registry or using a third-party application.
Using the Registry editor
You can modify or remove options from the Windows context menu by editing the Registry (remember to make a backup before manipulating the registry). Here’s how to do it:
- You must first open the Registry Editor. To do this, open the Run tool (Windows + R), type the command regedit, and click OK.
- Then, navigate to the following route:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \ * \ shellex \ ContextMenuHandlers
- Finally, identify the application entries you want to remove, right-click on them and choose Delete.
To tell the truth this method is a bit complicated and somewhat confusing. An erroneous modification of the registry can affect the functioning of the system. That is why it is sometimes better to delegate this function to third-party applications, context menu editors.
Using a menu editor
The easiest way to edit the context menu is by using an editor program. In this case, they are third-party programs designed to be able to add, delete or edit the items on this menu. Next I will present a couple of applications of these, so that you can modify the options with ease.
- Context Menu Editor. This is a free application for Windows that allows you to edit the contextual menu, add or remove entries from it.
- softpedia.. This little tool allows you to control the elements that appear in the context menu with great ease.
- ShellExtView. Small utility that displays the list of menu items and allows you to disable or edit unwanted entries.
- softpedia.. A simple application that comes with the necessary utility to clean or remove items from the context menu of Windows and Internet Explorer.
Add, remove, and edit context menu options
With this short guide you can debug the context menu in Windows 10, Windows 8 and Windows 7. It is very easy to add or remove menu options from the registry or with a third-party application. I hope this information has been useful to you to modify the context menu in a satisfactory and safe way. Also, if you want, you can disable the context menu completely.