By default, Windows has always been characterized as an optimal environment for multitasking, which is why many people prefer to use this operating system to execute several actions simultaneously. Especially if it is Windows 10, which is the most recent version of Microsoft’s OS and has significantly strengthened its functionality .
In this sense, to optimize the user experience of all the people who work through a PC with W10, the OS focused on providing the necessary configuration to order windows side by side and thus, work in two different applications to the same time, without having to switch from one to the other. In this way, it is committed to taking advantage of its support for higher resolution screens to a great extent .
But, although it is an option that is so useful, the truth is that at this moment there are still many W10 users who do not know how they can divide the screen in two to simplify their work . Reason why, we want to publicize the process to follow to be able to segment the PC screen in this way and what its advantages, as well as how to configure two or more monitors .
Learn how to split screen in Windows 10 and get the most out of this feature
Luckily, the fact of being able to section the Windows 10 screen into two parts allows you to use both programs and applications, as well as web pages and documents or files simultaneously . Thanks to this, people will have the possibility of having a panoramic monitor from which it will be much easier to execute several tasks at the same time . Now, although it is a utility that was implemented since Windows 7, certainly, in Windows 10 this functionality is considered much more advanced .
Therefore, it allows this division to be carried out in three different ways that users can freely choose and then we explain each one of them step by step:
Using the Windows key
It is considered the easiest alternative of all, since it is based on a keyboard shortcut that manages to significantly simplify the process in question.
Therefore, to have two windows on the same desktop in this way, it will be necessary to carry out the following procedure:
- First of all, it is essential that you have open the two windows that you want to see in this way. Thus, start by locating the first application, program or document that you need .
- After finalizing the first window, you have to press the Windows key and the left arrow key, simultaneously. Thus, the first window will be located on the left side.
- Next, go to the second window that you want to place next to the previous one and in it, press the Windows key and the right arrow key at the same time . In order to place it on the other side.
- Just by doing this, you will already have your Windows 10 screen divided into two parts .
From the start bar
Since all the applications that you are running at a given moment are located on the start bar, this is another of the techniques that exist to segment the screen in two from W10 .
In this case, focus on using the launch bar starting from the following steps:
- Through your computer desktop, right-click on an empty space within the launch bar . Which is a horizontal bar that is located at the bottom of the screen.
- After that, a menu will be displayed in which you can see different options. In this case, to divide the screen, the ones that are used are: Cascading windows, Show stacked windows and Show windows in parallel .
- To see a window next to the other, you have to click on “Show windows in parallel” and thus, each one of them will be presented from the middle to the right or left side, correspondingly.
- Finally, just by clicking on the indicated option, the screen will have been successfully divided and thus, you will be able to work with both windows simultaneously and without restrictions.
Dragging the two windows to use
In Windows 10, to section the screen into two parts, it is also useful to use the “Drag” function provided by the operating system and based on the mouse.
To do it this way, it is important to perform the following procedure correctly:
- First of all, choose the window to place on the side of the screen and proceed to drag it with the mouse cursor, from its title bar . Depending on your preference, you can do it to the left or to the right.
- Once it is on one side of the screen, you have to release it and in this way, it will adjust to the indicated space.
- Then, on the other side of the panel, the system will show you the other remaining applications that are running. Therefore, it only remains to choose the second window to place on the split screen and click on its title bar to place it where you want. That’s all.
- In case you want to enlarge or reduce the size of each window, you can do it from its edges with just using the mouse cursor.
Steps to configure two or more monitors on my Windows 10 PC
Just as Windows 10 supports the possibility of dividing the screen into two parts to show different programs, applications or files; This operating system also allows you to fit two or more monitors to a single PC .
In this way, users can have more screen space to organize their work on a single computer. Given its effectiveness, it is worth knowing how it is fit . For this reason, below, we explain each step to follow to connect the two monitors (or more), change the different screen modes that Windows 10 offers and customize each one from the system settings .
Here, the details of all this:
Connect the two monitors to your PC
To begin with, it is important to be sure that the two monitors that you want to use to enlarge your screen, are well connected or plugged into the PC . Otherwise, the link will not be possible and as a result, the relevant configuration will not be possible . So, first of all, verify that you have the necessary HDMI, VGA, DVI or DisplayPort cables to make the connection .
Taking into account that, it is essential that the monitors are correctly connected to the audio. If you have doubts about how to do it, it is best to refer to the instructions for your type of computer or its manufacturer . Generally, the secondary monitor has to be linked to the main monitor from the rear which is where the corresponding input for the HDMI, VGA, DVI cable, etc. is located.
On the other hand, if your computer is a tower computer, the two screens will have to be connected to the graphics card through the corresponding slots . Once you make the indicated connection, the second monitor will be located to the left or right of the main screen . Thus, to access the second, it is as easy as sliding the mouse to the extreme left or right of the panel (depending on where you are).
With this, the mouse cursor will disappear from the current monitor and will go to the secondary monitor or vice versa . That is, as if the two were just one because Windows 10 is responsible for uniting the two monitors in a single continuous desktop (respecting the resolutions of each one).
Switch between W10 screen modes
After linking the two monitors on your PC, you have to open the display mode selector . Which, you can do it using the keyboard shortcut “Windows + P” . With this, this selector will be displayed in pop-up column mode on the right side of the main desktop screen. Now, by default, the Windows 10 screen mode selector provides users with four options with which they can adjust their two monitors as they wish .
In other words, through the following alternatives, you can configure your monitors based on what you prefer:
- PC screen only : By means of this option, the system will proceed to disconnect the second monitor and you will only be able to view the content from the main screen. Thus, you can activate the second monitor whenever you want, while it is still connected.
- Duplicate : If you want the secondary screen to work as a mirror effect, you must choose this option. Since this way, the second monitor will present exactly the same as you see on the first .
- Expand : By default, this is the option that is activated when that connection is made. In this case, the two monitors may have two different desktops and thus, it will be possible to observe different content to make the most of each one. In addition, it supports the ability to drag windows from one screen to the other.
- Second screen only : It works like the “PC screen only” option , unlike that it deals with presenting the secondary monitor, only. This means that when you activate this utility, the system will turn off the main monitor.
As you already know what each of the options provided by the screen display mode selector is for, just choose the one that best suits what you need to do with your two monitors . Assessing that, at any time, you can change the screen mode by just pressing the Windows key and the P key at the same time, in order to select a different option.
Configure the two screens to your liking
By nature, Windows 10 generates a layout for your two monitors to start using after selecting the display mode. However, you can customize this configuration to your liking, in case you want to improve it or simply because you are not satisfied.
To do this, you will have to access the Windows settings as follows:
- First of all, from the Start search bar, enter the term “Configuration” to be able to enter that window.
- Next, among the options that it shows you, you have to click on “System” which, in general, is located in the first position.
- Now, through the left sidebar, click on “Display” which also appears in the first place. In this way, you will get the settings dedicated to the screen in order to reorganize your monitors.
For example, in the section that says “Multiple displays”, the system allows you to configure the way you want your monitors to be viewed, again. In addition, from there, it is possible to access the “Advanced screen configuration” from a textual link located at the bottom. In Advanced screen configuration, you will be able to observe all the characteristics of the screens that you have linked to your PC.
Be it its resolution, its frequency, its color format, its exact model, etc. Therefore, from this window, you will be able to identify the screens in case you are not sure about the number that has been set for each one . On the other hand, if you want to visually modify your dual-screen configuration, you need to enter the “Personalization” category found in the menu on the main “Windows Settings” screen .
Through this option, you can do the following:
- Modify the background : From the left column, the Background option offers you the possibility to change the wallpaper for each monitor and, in addition, you can adjust it with “Extend” . If you use this option, the background will be distributed in both windows.
- Adapt the taskbar : Either choosing “all taskbars” to see them duplicated with their elements on both monitors. However, you can also select “taskbar and main taskbar where the window opens” to see the application icons separately (in each of them). In addition, they allow you to use the “task bar where the window opens” and with this, you will only see the icons of the applications you have open.
What is screen splitting good for in Windows 10? Advantages and utility
Of course, the dual-screen function in Windows 10 offers several benefits to users that mainly lie in the productivity it manages to generate . Since, this will avoid to be changing of window in window and thus, it helps to carry out several tasks of simultaneous form .
Which guarantees great speed and increases performance; in a nutshell. However, beyond this, users are interested in knowing what are the main advantages provided by the possibility of segmenting the PC screen in two .
Therefore, below, we point out these points in a more detailed way:
- Comfort : Thanks to the fact that the double screen function provides more productivity and speed, it also generates comfort . This, thanks to the fact that they should not be jumping from one application to another to carry out their tasks. But rather, they will put two different applications synchronizing in a pleasant way.
- Economy : In view of the fact that dividing the screen in two in W10 avoids having to buy or use two different monitors, it is a utility that offers a remarkable economy . Well, with a single monitor, you can bet on optimal productivity and performance, without spending money.
- Ease : Apart from everything, it is also very easy to divide the screen in Windows 10 because it only requires “drag and drop” or use a keyboard shortcut, for example. Which means that saying that this is complicated is not an excuse.
- Better user experience : As well as producing more performance and comfort, the W10’s dual-screen function also benefits the user experience by having the absence of frames between two monitors, even when they have an “extended” screen .
Now, with regard to the uses that can be given to this optimal functionality, they are actually varied.
However, here we will mention the most common and important:
- Transcribing texts : It is an ideal tool to write writings in a more comfortable, fast and effective way . Since, you can adapt your favorite word processor on one side and look up the information in a PDF or in the web browser on the other side; in order to paraphrase and transcribe at the same time.
- Transfer files : Useful for transferring files from one application to another without having to make several clicks of the mouse.
- Copy and paste elements : With a monitor divided into two parts, it is much easier and faster to copy and paste elements from one program to another.
- Gaming and Chat : On computers with better hardware features, W10 users can use this feature to play and chat at the same time . Thus, they will have the possibility to talk virtually with their opponents and create strategies with their allies, for example.
- Work well from home without extra hardware : In most business environments, workers have two monitors to increase their productivity. However, you can take advantage of this tool from home to work effectively with a single monitor without having to invest in additional hardware .