In this post we will see the steps to compress files in Windows 10 using the utility built into the system. In addition to compressing, you can also decompress files without installing third-party programs.
Although you can use third-party file compressors, you can also compress and decompress files with Windows 10’s built-in function. It allows you to compress files in ZIP format without installing anything additional. This is what we will see next.
How to zip and unzip files in Windows 10
Next let’s see the steps to compress files in Windows 10 with the built-in function:
1. Open File Explorer and find the file (s) or folders you want to compress to the.ZIP format.
2. Now select the files or folders.
3. Right click on your selection and choose the Send to option > Compressed (zipped) folder.
4. The zip file will be created and you will have to name it whatever you want.
This way you will have finished compressing the selected files. You can simply leave it in the hard drive storage, send it by mail or by another method.
Unzip files in Windows 10
You can unzip files in Windows 10 like this:
1. Find the compressed file you want to unzip.
2. Right click on it and choose the Extract all option .
3. By default, the files would be extracted to the same location as the compressed file. But you can change the destination folder by clicking the Browse button .
4. Now click the Extract button and the files will be unzipped to the selected location.
That way you can compress and decompress files in Windows 10 in zip format. It is used to compress large files and save disk space or store rarely used files. They are also used to send documents and images by email or transfer them through the network, among others.
For more flexibility and features, use third-party file compression software.