Have you ever wondered how to change the letter of a storage drive in Windows? So we recommend you read the following guide, in which we will teach you everything you need to know about it and in this way assign the letter you want to each of your hard drives.
What are the letters of a storage unit?
It is very possible that you have noticed that the different hard drives and partitions that are on your computer have letters of the alphabet for their names . For example, the main drive, on which the operating system is installed, is usually named “C”.
This has a purpose, and it is effectively to give a name to the units without major inconveniences, for which the system assigns letters to each of the storage units that are or are connected to our computer.
By default, storage units, whether hard drives or pen drives, usually have names starting with the letter “C”, and can be D, E, F, G, following in most cases a sequential order (in relation to the alphabet ). Either way, the names can officially be changed, that is, you can change the drive letter with tools like AOMEI Partition Assistant or through the same operating system.
How to change the letter of a storage drive in Windows?
The process to change the letter of the storage units in the Windows operating system is quite simple. In fact, there is a space designed precisely to change this type of configuration related to our hard drives.
- To perform this procedure, you must go to the “Create and format hard disk partitions” tool.
- If you want to go to these configuration options, you just have to go to the start menu and search for “Create and format hard disk partitions”, immediately carry out the search, this option should appear on the screen, just click on it.
- After the previous steps, the system will take you to the hard disk configuration section. This is where you can modify or change labels to partitions and other aspects related to storage units
- Now, you must select the drive for which you want to change the letter, press the right click and go to the option “Change drive letter and paths”.
- A new menu will appear in which the drive letter appears, select it and then click on the “Change” option. All you have to do now is click OK and you will have the drive letter changed.
What you should consider about the change of letter of the storage unit
It is possible to find some benefits to changing the letter of a drive. The truth is that there may be several inconveniences when performing this procedure, so we recommend doing it taking into account the aspects that we will comment on below.
You can pin a disk access to the taskbar in Windows 10. However, this shortcut to the drive may stop working. Therefore, you will have to recreate them for those programs and locations that you had in the drive to which you changed the letter.
Similarly, certain system and application related issues can also occur. This can be caused by the fact that if you used the unit to install programs and other applications, access is interrupted in many cases. Therefore, you may need to reinstall these programs.
Understanding the above, we recommend that you carry out the process of changing the letter of the storage unit, only if you are fully aware that there are none of these drawbacks. For this reason, it is best to change the drive letter in which you only store personal files.