The airplane mode in Windows 8 is a pretty useful feature that you can use in different circumstances. But first it is convenient that you know what this tool is and what happens to your computer when you activate it.
This information can be found, in a simple way, in the following paragraphs of this article that we have prepared for you. We will detail the moments in which it is convenient to activate this mode and the step by step to carry out this task successfully .
In addition, we will explain how to fix the error in which airplane mode cannot be disabled and other errors in W8. Let’s get started.
What is airplane or offline mode and what is it for in Windows 8?
Within the functions that your Windows 8 computer performs, these tasks can be divided into two large groups. One is the execution of the programs that you have installed and the other is the emission and reception of WiFi, Bluetooth and mobile data signals .
From this it follows that , if you want to deactivate all the signals that your device receives and emits wirelessly, you will need a tool called Airplane mode, which you can activate quickly and easily . But you must bear in mind that this function does not disable the execution of the programs.
When is it convenient to activate airplane mode in your Windows 8?
We will show you below which are the optimal situations in which it is convenient to disable some functions of your device, this will help you obtain greater benefits.
- We will start with what gave rise to the name of this function and that is when you are in an airplane, especially at the time of takeoff and landing. This way you will not produce interference in the communication between the crew and also with the control tower.
- When your laptop battery is low. You must not forget that Bluetooth and WiFi run in the background and these functions consume more battery than many people think.
- Related to the previous point, every time you need to quickly charge your battery you can activate airplane mode.
- If you want not to be interrupted by IP calls (or video), emails or application messages when you are working on projects that require concentration or are in meetings.
- At night it is also useful to activate the airplane mode, since you will not receive calls, but you can see the time on the device and use the alarm clock without any problem.
Learn step by step how to activate and deactivate the offline mode of Windows 8
So that you can fully enjoy your Windows 8 device , we will explain the step by step you must do to activate and deactivate the offline mode .
To activate airplane mode in Windows 8 you will have to go to the Charm bar, located on the right side of the screen, and continue with these steps:
- Click on the Settings menu . You can also do it at this step by pressing the Windows keys and then I at the same time .
- Find the option Change PC settings and click on it.
- Select the Wireless tool .
- Find the Airplane mode field and enable the Enable option to stop wireless communication .
In case you have the Windows 8.1 version, you will have to do this step by step:
- Once you have opened the Charm bar, you will have to go to Settings and then Change PC settings .
- Choose the Network tool .
- Find the Airplane mode option and activate it .
In case you want to deactivate the airplane mode and it will begin to receive wireless signals on your device, you will have to carry out the reverse steps to those mentioned before:
- Access Settings through the Charms Bar by moving the mouse pointer to the bottom right of the screen. Then the icon of a gear, do not forget you can also enter by pressing Windows + R .
- Select Change PC settings and then Wireless (or Network, if you have Windows 8.1 version).
- Find the Airplane Mode tool and disable it.
An easier way for you to do these steps is to press the Start button and then type airplane mode . This will cause you to see the Search tool , so the Airplane Mode application will appear in a list. Click on it and disable it.
Airplane mode cannot be disabled How to fix this and other errors in Windows 8?
Is likely to airplane mode can not be disabled by an internal error in the operating system . But you should not worry because below we will explain how to solve this error in a simple and fast way.
- The problem may be caused by the shutdown of the network card of your computer. Therefore, it is desirable to press the key Windows and keep it pressed, press the R . This will allow you to access the Run tool .
- Type in the Open: field the command
msc, then hit Enter .
- Click the Yes button if a user warning window appears.
- Select the User interface devices option .
- Find the driver for your network card. In this case, you should take into account the brand of your computer or the supplier of the board, since if you cannot find it, it is likely that this hardware is outdated or has been erased. Therefore, it will be necessary for you to go to the manufacturer’s support and download the device driver for free.
- Right-click on the controller and choose the Disable option. After this repeat this step and select Activate now .
- Choose the Network Adapters feature .
- Find the adapter . You can find this with the word Wireless or wireless and right click on it.
- Next, choose Properties and then click on Power Management .
- Clear the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power check box, click OK, and restart the computer .
In case you have not been able to solve the problem or find other errors, you will have to use the Search tool again (Windows Start button and then type troubleshooter).
Then follow these steps:
- Select the Troubleshooting tool (control panel).
- Choose the Network and Internet option .
- Click on Network Adapter .
- Click the Next button and continue with the troubleshooter prompts.
Another way you have to verify the error is to connect an Ethernet cable to the port and test if you connect to the Internet . After this you will have to verify that the BIOS is up to date (at this step you can do it in the same way as you did with the network card driver). Once all these steps have been verified, you should have no problem deactivating airplane mode .