Sometimes, it is necessary to factory reset Ubuntu without losing information . However, if you cannot boot your computer, then we recommend reading the following guide in which we will talk about How to Recover Grub on Ubuntu Linux using Boot Repair easily?
The GRUB is the boot manager of the Linux operating system, when it is damaged there may be problems related to the system boot. It is for this reason that we have prepared a guide through which you can solve this annoying problem.
How to Recover Grub on Ubuntu Linux using Boot Repair easily?
As its name indicates, Boot Repair is a tool designed to repair the startup of Linux-based operating systems, such as Ubuntu. Using this popular tool it is possible to repair the so-called “GRUB” and thus be able to access the OS again.
You can obtain this very useful tool very easily through conventional methods, that is, using the Ubuntu terminal. To carry out this process it is necessary that you learn to install packages or programs in Ubuntu from the terminal as we explain in the following guide.
Get the Boot Repair app
- The first thing you should do is open a terminal, this can be done very easily by pressing the Ctrl + Alt + T key configuration .
- Once you have successfully started the terminal, you need to apply the following codes one by one: “sudo add-apt-repository ppa: yannubuntu / boot-repair”, “sudo apt-get update “, “sudo apt-get install boot -repair “.
- When you have completed the above procedure, the download and installation process for the Boot Repair tool is complete, which means that you can now start using it to repair startup-related problems.
Use Boot Repair to repair or recover GRUB on Ubuntu
Once the Boot Repair tool is fully downloaded, you can start using it to repair GRUB on Ubuntu. If you have any doubts regarding this process, read the following carefully:
- Using the application is quite simple, you just have to go to the Ubuntu applications section and locate the “Boot Repair” tool .
- Once you have properly opened the application, just click on the option “Recommended repair (repairs the most frequent problems)”, which as its name suggests is the ideal option, since it solves most of the problems.
- In the event that this option does not solve your problems, you can also choose the “Advanced Options” that the application presents, in any case, this option requires knowledge, so act with caution.
- It is also necessary that you bear in mind that you can perform this action through the Live CD method , something especially useful in the event that you cannot boot in any way on your computer.
Perform the GRUB recovery procedure with a USB
Performing the operation using a pendrive can be very convenient, understanding that you cannot boot the system. To carry out this process it is recommended to access a computer with Ubuntu that boots correctly, read the following guide to start the process:
- The first thing to do is download the application, for this you can go to the sourceforge website through which the Boot Repair ISO will be downloaded.
- Once you have successfully downloaded the CD image, it is time to install the USB tool known as usb-creator-gtk. You will be able to get this app through terminal, you can enter it by pressing Ctrl + Alt + T.
- When you are inside the terminal type the following code “sudo apt-get install usb-creator-gtk” and press “Enter”.
- When the process is finished, insert a USB stick into the computer, launch the USB-Creator application and finally select the previously downloaded ISO.
- After this process, boot from the USB drive on the system with the damaged GRUB and repair it using the application. After booting with the USB drive, the software will guide you through the steps to follow. Finally, if you want to optimize PC performance, you can speed up Ubuntu startup time by changing the Grub timeout.