Over the years, technological advances have given us a more assorted digital world, where we find many elements that we have in the physical world reflected in the digital one. One of these elements are maps, which are these scale representations of the earth or a part of it.
Maps for many years were put on paper, but with the use of technology they can be on the screen of any device. When we speak of a digital map we refer to a set of data, which is supplied in a spatial way. Some digital maps are pulled directly from satellites, giving a realistic representation. We can get two main types of digital maps, the raster type and the vector type.
- Vector-type maps are represented in geometric shapes, they are used mostly for navigation as they provide more specific data.
- Raster-type maps, generally satellite images, offer a more elaborate audiovisual quality so they take up more space on devices
Taking a context of what digital maps are, in today’s article we will talk about Apple Maps, which is a map service provided by the American company Apple, at first it was driven by Google Maps , to become its competition today .
We will also see the functions it offers us and what alternatives to this digital map service exist. Next, we will develop each of these points.
What features does Apple Maps offer?
Apple Maps offers us more than the view for its digital maps, but it has other functions that are useful in different opportunities, so it is important that if you are an iPhone user, you know that other functions offer the Apple digital maps service.
- One of the first functions that Apple Maps has, is the ability to show our current location, helping us better orient ourselves where we are or even send it to another person, in case giving directions is not our strength. All the information that Apple Maps gives is accurate, but in case you want to deactivate it, it can be done through configuration, showing instead an approximate of your current location.
- It points out the streets and public transport, this information helps to better orient yourself with respect to public transport stations.
- Create a specific route and destinations, thanks to this we know which route to take to get from a point “A” to a point “B” marked in the most efficient way. In addition to this, there is the option to save through the App, the destinations that we use frequently, making it easier to locate them by Apple Maps.
What other digital map services are there besides Apple Maps?
Having seen the functions that Apple Maps offers us, we have to know that there are more digital map services in addition to Apple Maps. Each digital map service has one area better developed than another, but for that, we will mention and explain some of the digital map services that exist in addition to Apple Maps.
It is the map service that comes with most devices that work with the Android operating system . It has a large amount of information of all kinds, so it is unlikely that a user of this digital map service will think of switching to another.
This alternative is a project where there is collaboration to create free maps that can be edited. These maps are created by those who use the application, this using free tools for the collection of geographic data, giving it its own content from the map service.
Finally, Here We go, is another of the alternatives that we can use, this application in addition to providing maps digitally, in them it indicates traffic information or the option of ordering a taxi. This multifaceted face makes it an important alternative to Apple Maps.
We hope this article about Apple Maps has been helpful to you , in addition to this we leave you other online map services for you to decide, using the one that best suits your needs.