A very common error that appears in Windows 7, 8 and 10 when trying to use a WiFi network, is that the message “ It is not possible to connect to this network ” appears. This error can have many causes, but in general, it prevents you from being able to use all the connectivity functions related to your internet or local network.
If this is happening to you on a recurring basis, then it is best to find an effective solution. To do this, below we are going to explain all the possible causes that cause the error “It is not possible to connect to this network” in Windows and how to solve it.
How to fix the “Cannot connect to this network” error in Windows
This annoying problem, as we have mentioned, can be related to something as simple as incorrectly typing the password to access the network, or it can be caused by something more complex such as a router configuration problem or internal operating system conflict. However, now we will explain several methods that will help you to solve this error effectively:
Disable the network driver
In many cases, connectivity problems with your network are due to the fact that Windows 10 has not updated the network driver of your system, thus causing compatibility problems to access a WiFi connection. For this reason, we must disable the network driver, as by doing so, Windows detects the latest update for this driver and installs it. To do this, follow the instructions below:
- Go to Control Panel> Device Manager.
- Next, head over to Network Adapters and right-click on it.
- Select the Uninstall device option .
- Now a new tab will open where you just have to confirm the operation by clicking Uninstall.
- Once this process is finished, restart your computer.
When the computer starts, if there is an update pending to be installed on your PC, Windows will install it automatically and the problem will disappear.
Change the channel of the WiFi network
If the WiFi network of your home, business or office throws the error of “It is not possible to connect to this network” when there are many people using it, then you can choose to change the channel of the network in order to prevent it from saturate and cause these kinds of mishaps. The steps to follow to carry out this procedure are these:
- Go to Control Panel> Network and Internet>> Network and Sharing Center.
- Once there, go to Change adapter settings.
- Here you must right click on the WiFi adapter you are using and select Properties.
- In this new tab, go to Networking and click Configure.
- When you’re here, select Advanced options and hit 802.11n Channel Width.
- By doing this, you can change the preset width to a larger one.
- Finally press Save changes and try to connect again.
Disable IPv6 settings on the controller
Many times our equipment can be configured automatically to use the IPv6 protocol. This is because if we connect to a network whose protocol is IPv4, it is likely that a connection conflict will be caused that results in us being unable to connect to the network, and therefore, the error “It is not possible to connect to network”. Luckily, solving this is quite simple, so here we explain the steps to follow:
- Go to Control Panel> Network and Internet> Network Connections.
- Once here, right click on the network you are using and select Properties.
- In this new tab, locate Internet Protocol version 6 and make sure to uncheck its box.
- Now press accept to save the changes.
- Finally, restart your computer and check if the error has been fixed.
Check router and control security types
All networks use a type of security that protects the privacy of users connected to the network, these are generally WPA-PSK (AES) and WPA2-PSK (AES). In this sense, there are times when the router works under a particular security protocol and our computer is configured to use a different protocol. For this reason, it is necessary to check the types of control security of our router and PC. Here we tell you what you should do:
- The first thing you should do is access your router’s settings. To do this, go to your browser and go to this address:http://192.168.0.1/.
- Once there, access the router, go to WiFi and locate the WLAND SSID Settings section.
- Here, in Encryption Type you must choose the type of security you want to use on your router (or check which one it uses by default.
- Next, from Windows go to Control Panel> Networks and internet> Network connections.
- Right click on your WiFi network adapter and select Properties.
- In the new tab, go to Configure> Advanced Options and verify that the type of security you are using is the same as the router.
Configure the network manually
Another thing that we can try to solve the error of “It is not possible to connect to this network”, is to carry out the manual configuration of the network. Here we explain what you should do:
- Go to Control Panel> Network and Internet> Network Connections.
- Once here, click Set up a new connection or network.
- Then a new tab will be displayed, choose Manually connect to a wireless network and click Next.
- Now you must fill in the requested information and click Next.
- Once this is done, wait for your PC to recognize the wireless network and establish a connection.
Forget the network and re-enter password
Every time we enter the data to connect to a new network, Windows stores the connection data to automatically reconnect the next time you are within range of the WiFi. However, if the configuration of that network is changed, the password or something similar is changed, your PC will not be able to connect to the network and will throw the connection error. For this reason, we recommend that you forget the network and try to connect again by entering the password. If you don’t know how to do it, just follow these steps:
- Go to the Windows start menu and select Settings> Network & Internet and select the WiFi option .
- Once here, select Manage known networks.
- Now you will see a list with all the networks that you have connected to before and for which Windows stores information. Choose the desired network and press Stop remembering.
- Once this is done, simply reconnect by entering the password again.
Activate and deactivate the WiFi network
Many times this error is due to something as simple as a temporary conflict with the operating system itself or your local network. For this reason, we can try to fix the error by simply disconnecting from the WiFi network and waiting to connect again. To do this, these are the instructions you must follow:
- Access Control Panel> Network and Internet> Network Connections.
- Once here, right-click on your WiFi adapter and select Disable.
- Wait for a period of between 1 and 5 minutes and right-click on the WiFi adapter to activate it again.
Manually install network drivers
If you have Windows 10, you should know that Windows Update takes care of automatically updating all the drivers on your computer. However, sometimes there may be compatibility issues between the manufacturer of your PC’s network card and Windows, so this update may not be carried out completely. For this reason, it is recommended to try manually installing network drivers. To do so, these are the steps you must follow:
- Start by downloading the drivers for your router from the manufacturer’s website. Here we leave you the links of the most common.
- Head to Control Panel> Device Manager.
- In this tab, display the Network adapters option and right-click on the corresponding network driver.
- Choose Update Driver and a new tab will open.
- Here you must choose Browse my computer for driver software.
- Doing so will open a tab to choose the path where the driver you downloaded from the manufacturer’s page is located.
- Choose the appropriate driver and click Install.
- Once the process is finished, test if the error has disappeared.
Reset your IP address
Sometimes the error “It is not possible to connect to this network” can derive from a problem with the IP address of your network. To reset your IP address and reconnect, you must use the ipcondig command. Doing this is very simple and here we explain how to do it:
- From the start menu of your PC, press Windows + R.
- In the new search tab you will have to type cmd and this will open the command prompt.
- Here, enter the following command: ipconfig / release and hit Enter.
- Once this is done, to renew your IP address type: ipconfig / renew and hit Enter again.
Once this is done, you will have a new IP address, so if the error was caused by a conflict related to it, it should disappear.
Reset your Router to factory settings
If none of the solutions that we have mentioned in this post has worked for you, it is possible that the error is not directly related to your equipment, but rather to your home router. You can check this by just trying to connect to your network from another device. If the same error appears, then you can try resetting your router to factory settings. Doing this is very simple and here we tell you how to do it:
- Locate the Restore the Default option on your modem.
- With the help of a needle or pin, press the reset button for 10 seconds and your router will factory reset.
- Reconnect your equipment and see if the error has disappeared.
With all these alternatives, we hope that you will have success to reestablish the connection of your Windows PC to the WiFi network that has brought you problems.