Google Maps is a super useful application that allows you to use various functions, including measuring the distance between two or more points. The latter is ideal to know the route of the route in which you do sports, to know how many kilometers is the nearest service station or restaurant, etc. That is why, the following post explains how to use this feature in the most used location app in the world, on different devices.
Continuing with the above, you will learn how to measure the distance between two points on Google Maps, from Smartphones and computers. It is worth mentioning that the process that is described throughout this text applies to different Operating Systems. However, you must bear in mind that, in order to use the application, you must have an Internet connection, otherwise you must have the previously downloaded map of that city.
From the cellphone
The most common thing for many users is to find the location of a specific point or place on the map, through the application on the cell phone. Therefore, the first method that will be explained in this post is how to measure the distance between two points in the Google Maps mobile app.
It is important to clarify that this is installed by default in Smartphones with Android Operating System. However, in case your cell phone does not have it, you can download it through theGoogle Play orApp Store. With this in mind, follow the steps outlined below:
- Open Google Maps on your cell phone.
- Tap on the starting point for a few seconds, until a red indicator appears over it.
- Open the site information tab and tap on the ” Measure distance ” option .
- Drag the map in the direction of the end point.
- At the bottom you can see the distance in miles or km.
This way you can measure the distance between two points. Now, in case you want to add another point on the route, tap on the button with the “+” icon and drag it again to the next location.
On the other hand, if you want to delete the last marked point, press the icon of the three vertical points and select ” Delete “. While, to eliminate the entire route, you must click on the “x” located at the top of the screen.
From the computer
Measuring the distance between two points on Google Maps from the browser requires a different process. Now, it is important to note that, if you use the basic version of the app, you will see a lightning bolt at the bottom and you will not be able to perform this task. See what are the steps you should follow, below:
- Login to Google Maps from your computer.
- Right click on the point from where you want to start the measurement.
- Select ” Measure distance.”
- Click on the arrival point.
- At the bottom you can see the measurements in meters or feet.
By following these simple steps you can calculate the distance between two points using Google Maps on your computer.
Another alternative you have to know the distance between two points is to use the ” How to get there ” function of Google Maps. Which you can use from your cell phone and computer, without any problem and that, in addition, gives you approximate data on the amount of time it takes you to get there through different routes. It should be noted that the steps to follow are very similar on both computers, but for this particular case the mobile version will be used. Learn how, below:
- Open Google Maps on your mobile.
- Press the ” < ont>Go ” button . Note : to know the distance between your location and a point on the map, you just have to press the place in question. Later, you will have to press the option ” Directions ” in the information tab of the place.
- Write the place of departure and the point of arrival in the corresponding field for each one. You can use Google Maps navigation suggestions to be more precise.
- Select between the different means of transport available (motorcycle, on foot, private vehicle, public transport).
- Wait while Google Maps calculates the distance and arrival time between the two points.
In this way you will be able to know how long it will take you to get from one place to another and, above all, the distance you must travel to do so.
As you can see, calculating or measuring the distance between two or more points on Google Maps is a very simple task. However, you should not forget that this is an application that works with an Internet connection, although it allows you to download maps to view without access to the network. In addition, it uses a large battery consumption by the multiple tasks that it performs in the background, while it is running, such as GPS location.