Right now, Telegram is one of the most important instant messaging services of all . Because, due to the notable advantages it guarantees in terms of security, privacy, productivity and personalization, many prefer this platform .
As a consequence, many users choose to download and install Telegram on all their computers, given that it is a multiplatform solution . That is why Linux or Ubuntu users can use the application from their computer for free .
However, since its installation process is different from that handled in other operating systems such as Windows or MacOS, these users have doubts when doing so . For this reason, here we will explain the steps to follow to install Telegram on Linux or Ubuntu .
Learn step by step how to install Telegram on Linux or Ubuntu quickly and easily
Although Telegram is a multiplatform service, the truth is that there is no application for Telegram within the Ubuntu repositories as a Linux distribution, officially .
Which, basically, is due to the fact that the developers of said instant messaging app preferred to offer a generic binary file for installation . Therefore, all Linux or Ubuntu users have to rely on a third-party repository in order to have the ability to install the application, without getting any errors as a result.
For this, you need to do the following on your machine:
- First of all, start by opening a terminal on your computer that runs under Linux and / or Ubuntu.
- He then proceeds to add the PPA, running the following command:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:atareao/Telegram.
- Then it’s time to update repositories, using the command :
sudo apt update.
- Finally, only subtracts install the application with the help of the command :
sudo apt install Telegram.
On the other hand, if at any given moment for any reason you want to uninstall the Telegram app on your machine, you need to proceed to execute the following command from the terminal: sudo apt remove Telegram .
Now, in addition to the procedure detailed in the previous part to install Telegram, you can also do it in another way that is simple . In this case, it is a question of using the Pidgin plugin which is an instant messaging client for Linux. In this way, you will only have to install the plugin for Telegram and add your account there .
Thus, specifically, the process consists of:
- Initially, adds the repository WebUpd8, through the command described here:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8.
- After that, you have to proceed to update the sources with the command
sudo apt-get update.
- Then install the plugin by simply entering the following command :
sudo apt-get install telegram-purple.
- After that, once you have installed the plugin, you simply have to access by adding your account from the Pidgin Accounts / Manage Accounts settings .
Even Linux and Ubuntu also support the installation of Telegram directly from the website of said service and using the terminal to enter the following commands (without the quotes):
cd ~ wget -O- https://telegram.org/dl/desktop/linux> telegram.tar.xz sudo mkdir -p / opt sudo tar xfv telegram.tar.xz sudo rm telegram.tar.xz cd Telegram ./Telegram
What are the benefits of using Telegram from a Linux computer?
Many Linux users are interested in knowing what are the advantages of accessing their Telegram account and managing it through a Linux computer . Therefore, it is relevant to mention the main benefits of this so that they are safer to carry out any installation process they prefer.
Here, each of the most transcendental pros:
- Thanks to the fact that both Telegram and Linux are open source services, users of this operating system can freely share, modify and study the source code of the platform.
- Although it is true, Telegram is an app that uses its infrastructure with MTProto technology . Which is focused on multiplatform multisession and file transport regardless of its format or capacity; that way, you can ensure a better user experience on Linux.
- People who use Linux and / or Ubuntu can take advantage of the power and efficiency of their machines in conjunction with Telegram to expand its capabilities as an instant messaging app .
- Because Telegram offers great security along with the secret chats function, Linux users can increase the privacy on their computers when establishing conversations online .
- Unlike other operating systems, Telegram accepts different installation methods on Linux machines and any of its distributions . Therefore, users have the power to choose the one they prefer.