Kodi is a multimedia center with configurations that are as useful as they are complicated, the same goes for updating this software. The process to follow can vary greatly from one device to another. Therefore, in this guide to update Kodi, you will find the step by step for any device where you can use this media player.
This cross-platform software is available on Android, Microsoft, iOS, MacOS, Linux, and Raspberry Pi. It is a free and open source project, so it is constantly updated depending on the activity of its developers. In this post you will learn how to get the latest version of Kodi for any of the aforementioned devices, and to keep up to date with the program’s updates.
The Kodi update process on Android is the simplest of all, only if you download the application through the Play Store. Simply enter the location of the app (if you wish, you can follow thislink and access directly). If there are updates available, you will see the ” Update ” button, press it and the update will start automatically.
In case you cannot carry out this process through the Google Play Store, since some devices do not have it, you will have to follow another procedure. It will be necessary to download Kodi again from the official website.
Whether you use Android or Android TV, you will have to previously activate the permissions to download files from unknown sources, then follow these steps to complete the process:
- Find the Settings menu on your device.
- Enter the ” Security ” section.
- Enable the ” Unknown sources ” option .
- Once this is done, simply enter the official Kodi site using this link:https://kodi.tv/download.
- Then, you must click on the Android icon.
- Select the download option that corresponds to your device.
Once you have completed these steps, you just have to click on the downloaded file to open it and reinstall Kodi in its most current version.
Jailbreak is required to install and update Kodi on devices with iOS Operating System. This process is not approved by Apple and may cause you to lose both technical support and warranty for your computer.
The update of this Software in iOS is achieved by installing it again. To get the latest available version of Kodi, go to the download center using this link:https://kodi.tv/download. Then click on the ” iOS ” button and, finally, select the corresponding file according to your Operating System. This will be downloaded and you will only have to run it to install.
Another available alternative is the update through Cydia. If you installed Kodi using this alternative virtual store, you will be able to find it in the latest version and thus be able to update Kodi on your device.
The Kodi update process on MacOS is similar to the installation, please use the following guide to get the latest version of this software:
- Click next link to go to the Kodi download site.
- Click on the Apple apple where the ” MacOS ” device is indicated .
- Press ” 64-bit Installer ” to start the installer download.
- You just have to wait for it to download and run it to start the installer.
Later, you will only have to drag the Kodi icon to the applications icon on MacOS. Upon completion, you will have replaced the previously installed Kodi with the updated version.
One of the simplest procedures for updating Kodi is the one you must follow in Windows. If you have installedKodi from the official store, the updates will be done automatically. The system will notify you when a new version is available and you just have to confirm the update. In the same way you can update Kodi on Xbox One.
Another installation method is manual, if you installed the application from the web, you must update it in the same way. In this case, go to the official site by following thislink and press the Windows symbol to enter the download options. Click on the alternative that corresponds to your OS. Finally, you must wait for the process to finish and execute the file.
Updating Kodi on Linux must be done manually. Although the process is slightly similar to installing the software, it will be much easier. You will simply have to use the following commands in the terminal :
- ” Sudo apt-get update “.
- ” Sudo apt-get upgrade “.
In some cases, the installation of additional packages may be required when upgrading. To install these packages enter the following command. ” Sudo apt-get dist-upgrade “.
On Raspberry Pi
For the Kodi update on Raspberry Pi, you will have more than one alternative depending on whether you use OpenELEC or LibreELEC on your device. In this case it is possible:
- Have automatic updates enabled s: So it will not be necessary to carry out any additional procedure.
- Update easily in LibreElec : This system has a simple Kodi update procedure, you just have to follow this path: ” Settings> Librelec> System> Updates “.
Next, you will have the procedure to follow to update Kodi in both LibreELEC and OpenELEC :
- Go to the Kodi settings on your OpenELEC or LibreELEC system.
- Go to ” System> Updates “
- Then follow the following option path: ” Update channel> Main version> Available versions “.
- Simply select the latest version and confirm the operation to update.
Additionally, you will find a simple step-by-step for updating Kodi in OpenELEC using an SSH client :
- Enter the KODI information to get the IP address and write it down somewhere to save it.
- If you don’t have it, download and install the SSH client by following thislink.
- Enter the download page using thislink.
- Look for the section where it says ” Raspberry Pi Builds ” and download the most recent version.
- After the download is complete, run the previously installed SSH.
- Log in with the default IP address and password which is ” openlec “. You will be able to see the directory of your device, open the Updates folder.
- Go back to the desktop and copy the downloaded .tar file.
- Paste the .tar file into the Updates folder.
- Restart the System. Once turned on, the corresponding updates will start.
If you want to always be informed of the new Kodi updates available, follow the official social networks, which they are.Twitter andFacebook. Every time a new update is announced, you can use this guide to update Kodi on any of your devices.