Blocking users is a very common action on different social interaction platforms, including Instagram. However, for inexperienced people who decide to explore the platform’s options, unlocking an account that was blocked could be a difficult task. Since they do not know the procedure to follow or do not remember how they got to that configuration.
Well, this is a simple task to do, either from the cell phone or from the computer. The only thing you have to take into account are the steps to follow in each of them. These will be useful to block and unblock users on Instagram or any other social network in which you have a profile. In this way you will decide who has access to your information and, above all, to interact with you. Read on to find out more about this.
From the computer
Although Instagram is a platform specially designed for mobile devices and, in general, users run it from their Smartphone. You should know that you can unblock a user who was blocked from their web version. To do this you have to follow the steps described below.
- Enter the web version of Instagram from your browser, doingclick here.
- Enter your access credentials and log into your account.
- Type the username to unlock in the search bar.
Note : In case the account appears as unavailable you will have to unblock the user from the app.
- Select the profile in question to go to its biography.
- Click the blue ” Unlock ” button.
- Press ” Unlock ” in the pop-up window that will appear.
With this you will have unlocked the account you selected and you will be able to reactivate the interaction between both profiles. You should not worry about the other person finding out, because Instagram does not issue any kind of alert or notification about this.
From the phone
If the computer is not your preferred option, you can unblock the user you blocked on Instagram from your Smartphone. For this you have two alternatives, enter the privacy options of your account or do it directly from the other person’s profile, as you would in the web version. Take a look at the step-by-step below and choose the method that best suits you.
The first method to explain will be from the privacy options of your account. Learn how to do it by following these simple steps:
- Login to your Instagram account from the app.
- Click on your profile image.
- Press the icon of the three horizontal bars.
- Select ” Settings.”
- Click ” Privacy ” in the list of options.
- Scroll to the bottom and select ” Blocked Accounts.”
- This will open a list with all the users you have blocked, press ” Unblock ” on the one you want to reactivate.
- Confirm your decision by pressing ” Unlock ” once more.
In this way you will have unlocked the account in question. It is worth mentioning that you can unblock more than one user within this list, you just have to press the corresponding button and everything will be ready.
If you consider that the previous method is too complicated for you, you can try doing it from the other person’s profile. To do this, you must follow the following indications:
- Login to your account on Instagram.
- Press the magnifying glass icon (lower left).
- Press “Search” to display the list of options.
- Click on the icon with the shape of a user to find the account you want to unblock.
- Type the username in the search bar.
- Select the account that corresponds to your search.
- Press the blue ” Unlock ” button.
- Click ” Unblock ” one more time when Instagram asks you.
What happens when you unblock someone
The moment you decide to unblock someone, all restrictions regarding blocking will disappear. Therefore, you can be in contact with that person again. Whether you decide to find her in the Instagram search engine, follow her posts, view her photos and stories, direct messages can be sent to each other and much more. Remember that you will be able to view its content as long as it is visible.
How to block a user
The steps to follow to block an account on Instagram are basically the same as those needed to unblock it. However, there are users who are not very familiar with the platform, which is why the process is explained below.
From the phone
To block an Instagram user from the cell phone you must:
- Login to your Instagram account.
- Use the built-in search engine within the app to search for the account.
- Select the profile in question.
- Press the icon of the three vertical dots.
- Select ” Block “.
- Press ” Block ” in the next window.
- Press ” OK ” to finish the process.
In this way you can block any account you want on Instagram. This, like unblocking, does not issue any notification on the other person’s profile.
To block a user from the PC, you must enter your account from the web version of Instagram and follow the steps described below:
- Type the username to block into the search bar.
- Select the account that corresponds to your search.
- Click on the icon with the three horizontal dots.
- Choose ” Block this user.”
- Press ” Block ” in the window that will appear.
Difference between restrict and block
It is important to clarify that, by restricting an account, it will continue to see your content and comment on your publications. However, these interactions will be visible only to you and the profile in question. On the other hand, restricted users cannot see when you are online or know that you have read their messages.
Whereas if you block a user on Instagram, this will prevent him or her from seeing your stories, posts and even your profile. That is, you will cease to exist for the account you block. In other words, restricting a user is a less drastic option. You can use it if you want to avoid annoying or unwanted comments in your publications, without unfollowing the other person or, worse still, blocking them.
To restrict a profile on Instagram you must follow a procedure similar to that described in this text, either from your cell phone or from your PC. The only difference is that you will have to choose the option corresponding to that action, in the last step.
There are frequent questions that users ask themselves daily, how can I follow accounts that I have blocked on Instagram ? Well, the answer to each of these questions is found below:
Blocked accounts can be followed
The answer is no. You cannot follow any account that you have blocked on Instagram or view its content until you decide to unblock it.
How long does it take to block or unblock someone
The action is almost immediate. By indicating to Instagram that you want to block or unblock said account, the platform will issue a practically instantaneous response to your request. That is, you can follow the user or stop seeing their content as soon as you press the button.
Accounts that do not exist can be unlocked
It is possible that one of the accounts you have blocked ceases to exist or has deleted you, making it impossible to interact with it, even if you try to unblock it. In this type of case, what is recommended is to test the application from different platforms (Web, iOS, Android, Windows).
Well, it is possible that, what it does not allow you to do on iOS, it will let you do it on Android and vice versa. On the other hand, if you want to delete an old blocked account from your blacklist, you can try to report suspicious or inappropriate content by said user, to Instagram.
Finally, after having read all this text, your doubts about how to unblock a user who was blocked on Instagram should be clear. Remember to keep your profile free of spam or unwanted content for other users. This way you will avoid being blocked or restricted.