Today, TikTok is one of the most influential social networks in the world . Thanks to the fact that, in a short time, it surpassed platforms such as Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat in numbers of downloads. In addition, due to its innovative video format, it managed to capture the attention of different audiences ranging from teenagers to people 40 years of age or older.
Thus, the expansion of the social media app has been enormous and as a consequence, most Internet users have chosen to register on the platform of Chinese origin . Mainly, in order to create an online presence, gain visibility and attract your target audience in a more entertaining and fun way .
However, in terms of security, TikTok has been a criticized service and that is why many users active there prefer to protect their integrity by improving the privacy of the content they publish . Indeed, it is valuable to know how to place a private video or only for friends on this social network and that, we will teach you below. Like, several recommendations to optimize your privacy within TikTok .
What are the benefits of putting private videos on TikTok?
While it is true, many members of the wide TikTok community make use of the social network to unleash their creativity, gain popularity and socialize with other people around the world, in an entertaining way. However, as it is an online channel with great recognition, it is also a service that houses haters or users who send spam and thus minimize the tranquility of others.
Therefore, to protect your TikTok profile against possible threats or illegal actions in online terms, it is valuable to place the videos you share as private . Taking into account that, thanks to that, they will only be seen by you or by the users you decide .
Unlike public videos that are viewed by any member of the application and are kept hosted on the TikTok server , by nature. In this sense, putting private videos on TikTok is a functionality that the platform supports in order to provide benefits to its users in terms of security, privacy and protection .
Among these pros, we find the following:
- You will enjoy greater control over the content you make and thus, you will avoid dealing with the public that you do not want to see your TikTok clips .
- You can take advantage of this to test the app’s filters and effects to create new content, but no one else will be able to see it.
- You will prevent haters or malicious users from stalking you with greater simplicity when watching the types of videos you make.
- It allows you to improve the results of your videos when they are not ready to be published . Thus, you will be able to tweak it soon with the tools offered by TikTok and, in the meantime, it will be visible to you and / or your friends.
- It is an option that is used to create videos that you want only to be recorded as a personal memory .
Learn step by step how to put a video private or just for your friends on TikTok
If you want to take advantage of this functionality of the social media app to acquire greater privacy, it is valuable that you know step by step how you can do it to avoid making mistakes during the process .
As a consequence, here we will show you what you have to do to make private both a new video and a clip that has already been shared on your profile:
In a new video
First of all, open the “+” section from the bottom of the screen to create your video, as well as adjust it with the help of the platform editor to obtain the desired result.
Next, you must do the following:
- Once you optimize the appearance of the video in question, click on the “Next” button located in the lower right corner of the screen.
- With the above, you will access the Publish section. There, you have to tap on the option “Who can see this video” .
- Subsequently, they will show you three available options and among them, you must click on “Private” (if you want the audiovisual element to be only visible to you). In addition, you will have to “Accept” the conditions indicated by the social network at that point.
- In case you want your friends to be able to see the video, it will be necessary to choose the option “Friends”, instead of “Private” .
- After selecting the required option, it only remains to press the “Publish” button at the bottom.
In a video already published
It is likely that for privacy or because you want to optimize a certain clip on your TikTok profile , you decide to put a private video when it has already been shared in the community .
Fortunately, the platform allows you to do it easily, by doing the following:
- Login to your TikTok account and enter your profile, selecting the “Me” icon at the bottom right of the feed.
- Next, on your profile page, find and access the video that you want to make private now.
- When it opens, you have to press the icon with three dots that are located on the lower right side.
- Once this is done, it is time to choose the “Privacy Settings” option .
- Next, click on “Who can see this video” and there, you have to select “Private” or “Friends” (depending on what you prefer, as in the previous case).
Tips to improve your privacy on TikTok to make your profile more intimate
In addition to the option available on TikTok to make a video private, the platform also offers other settings, solutions or possibilities so that each person can optimize their privacy and protect their integrity within the service, according to their requirements or expectations.
That is why, in this part of the post, we offer you some tips that will help you get a more intimate and secure TikTok profile:
Block offensive comments and spam
Although some tiktokers have good intentions, the truth is that others only access to annoy others with insults, advertisements and / or spam . If you want to avoid this to obtain a more private profile that does not allow access by malicious users, you will need to establish certain restrictions based on the comments . In this case, before sharing your clips, you can deactivate the function that indicates “Allow comments” and thus, your publications will not be saturated with unwanted comments.
In addition to this, you can also set who can comment on your videos, carrying out the following procedure:
- Directly from your TikTok profile , access the Settings and privacy menu by selecting the three dots located in the upper right corner.
- Now, in the Account section , it is time to click on “Privacy” .
- After that, they will show you several options and among those, you have to press “Who can comment on your videos” in the Security section .
- Now, it only remains to choose the option you prefer . In general, to have a better protection of your videos, it is recommended to choose “Friends” .
On the other hand, for a greater blocking of offensive comments, it is also possible to filter the comments manually, in order to optimize your privacy and have a more personalized user experience.
This filter is configured through keywords, through the following steps:
- Through your profile page, enter the Settings and privacy menu to select the “Privacy” option within the Account section .
- Later, go to the bottom and, in Security, click on “Comments Filters” .
- Followed by that, you are presented with two options which are: Filter spam and offensive comments, filter by keywords. The first one, by default, is activated and works as an automatic moderator for TikTok .
- In case you prefer to activate the “Filter by keywords” function, you must slide the switch to the right and specify these terms in the “Add keywords” option to prevent them from being shown in your clips.
Avoid theft of your videos
Typically, TikTok allows users to download other people’s videos without any restrictions. Which, despite its convenience to download content, has been criticized for the theft of videos that is generated in a simple way and that affects the exclusivity of users in the online environment.
But, luckily, it is possible to avoid it by doing what we indicate here:
- From your profile page, select the three dots located in the upper right corner to see the options available in Settings and privacy .
- After that, select “Privacy” in the Account section in this menu.
- Now, through the Security section, tap on the option that says “Allow the download of your videos . “
- Finally, proceed to click on “Deactivated” and thus, the social network will stop supporting it in your videos.
Block users on TikTok
If someone is annoying you on the platform or has even attacked you in some way and you prefer to avoid future problems, as well as optimize your privacy by not seeing it, it is best to block it on TikTok . Thanks to this, you will no longer be able to see their comments in your videos or know absolutely anything about their movements there.
To do this, you need to do the following:
- Through your Followers list or even through the “Trends” section , search for the user you want to block from your account .
- Next, enter your profile and touch the three dots located in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Next, you will be presented with several options and among them, you must click on “Block” and then confirm the action. That’s all.
Deactivate the famous Duets with anyone
One of the functionalities that has been most innovative in TikTok, are the Duets that it allows to do . Which consist of combining the videos of other users with yours to create reactions that are fun, entertaining and attractive .
But, having this option enabled, any other TikTok user will be able to use your video in this way, even to attack you . This, given that there are many untrustworthy users who choose to use this functionality to intimidate you or generate a bad reputation, for example. This is why it is recommended to block strangers from Duetting your clips .
To achieve this, it is valuable to execute the following step by step:
- Open your TikTok account and click on “Me” at the bottom to enter your profile page.
- After that, tap on the three dots in the upper right corner to access the Settings and privacy menu .
- Third, choose the “Privacy” option in the Account section.
- Next, in Security, select the option that says “Who can do a Duet with your videos” and choose to choose “Friends” .
- In addition to this, it is also recommended to choose “Friends” in the part of “Who can paste your videos in others” so that unknown users do not have the possibility of reacting to your clips.