Slack stands out for being an instant messaging application that is mainly aimed at work spaces and organizations, so a large number of messages are usually sent through the app.
However, as time goes by, your account may fill up with many messages , so you can exceed the limit of messages and files and thus occupy all your available space there.
Therefore, the main solution for this is to start deleting your messages so that you can free up memory in your workspace . That is why here we are going to explain how to perform this procedure easily.
Why should you delete some messages from your Slack spaces?
Keep in mind that Slack is an application that has different plans and according to each of them its storage capacity. In the case of the free plan, users will be able to have only 10,000 visible messages and which will be the most recent, this means that the old ones will automatically be deleted. Plus, this free plan only has a total of 5GB of available storage space.
This means that the main reason why messages should be deleted from Slack is to be able to get more storage space in the app . So a very good alternative is to start deleting all those messages that no longer have any importance or that are simply very old . In addition, this will not only allow you to get more space, but it will also help you to have a better organization, since you will only have those messages that really have a value for you.
It is important to keep in mind that each of the plans will have its own storage space, the larger the plan this space will be much larger. Finally, it should be mentioned that Slack takes everything that is written in the message field and sent as a message, regardless of whether only an emoji or a single word has been sent, it will be considered in the same way as a message from 975 words .
This is how users who have the free plan of the app must delete some of those messages in order to open space for the new files and thus get memory in the workspace .
Learn step by step how to delete messages from your Slack account quickly and easily
The procedure to delete messages in Slack is very simple, in this case users will have two alternatives to do it, one of them is to delete a message at a time and the other is to delete it en masse , the latter is ideal for when you want to delete a lot of them.
Therefore, here we are going to teach you how to carry out each of these methods, to do this, follow step by step everything that we will teach you below:
Delete one message at a time
- The first thing you should do is open the Slack app on your desktop .
- Then you must click on the “Start session” button located in the upper right corner of your screen, there you must log in to any of your workspaces.
- Now you must select a direct message on the left panel of your screen.
- Here you must hover over the message you want to delete in the conversation.
- To do this, you must click on the “More Actions” icon.
- In the options that appear there you must select “Delete message”.
- In order to complete the entire procedure, you must confirm the action you want to perform, in this case click “Delete” again.
Delete messages in bulk
Your application storage space may already be 100% occupied , so you need to delete a large number of messages to get enough space available there again . The best alternative in this case is to start deleting the messages en masse, as this procedure will be much faster than doing it one by one.
To do this, you just have to follow each of the steps that we are going to indicate below:
- Again you must access the Slack application from your desktop . If you do not have the application installed on your computer, then you can access Slack from the web browser, for this you must type in the address bar
slack.comand press the enter key .
- When you have entered the website you must log in with your access data by clicking on the top right of your screen.
- Once you have entered the app, you must select the menu located in the upper right part and there select the option “Additional options” so that you can access the file menu.
- Now you must choose the option “Set the channel’s message retention policy”.
- Then select “Hold all messages” for a specific number of days. An example of this would be if you set a retention policy of one week, all messages in the channel or direct messages will be deleted after seven days automatically.
- Later you must click and “Save”.
- Now you must select the option “Apply settings” for the entire procedure to be applied.
How many messages can be saved in Slack according to the plan that I have contracted?
Users who have the free version of Slack will be able to use it for as long as they want, since they are not required to purchase the app’s payment plan. In this case, it is necessary to take into account that these users who use the free version do not have a limit on the number of members they can invite.
But they do have some limits regarding the following points:
- They can have a maximum message visibility of 10,000 messages which will be the most recent as well as for their searches.
- It has a storage of 5 GB for both files and messages in your workspace.
In this way, users who make use of this version must be constantly deleting each of their messages . Just like mentioned earlier in the post, Slack takes any written and sent word as a message regardless of whether or not you’ve used all the characters.
In the case of those users who make use of the paid plans they will have the opportunity to have a greater amount of memory, in the case of the members of the standard plan they will be able to enjoy 10 GB of storage, while the users who have the plus plan can enjoy 20 GB of storage, so they can have a greater number of messages there.