For some years now, Slack has managed to establish itself as one of the best digital solutions that brands, companies or organizations have at hand . Since, it is a multiplatform instant messaging app that helps to optimize the communication of the members of a work team with each other to achieve the objectives set effectively.
In this sense, thanks to the various tools that Slack offers, users also have the possibility of centralizing all the information required to develop the different projects to be executed. In addition to that, it manages to adapt to the requirements of each company, as well as the needs of each member to provide the best possible user experience .
Consequently, it accepts a remarkable level of customization and this, in a certain way, can be evidenced thanks to the states that it allows to modify to improve interaction with other users . Which is why it is interesting to know how to change your statuses in Slack and even learn to enable do not disturb mode when necessary .
Learn step by step how to change and customize your status in Slack easily and quickly
While it is true, specifically, a Slack status is defined as a customizable message through which all other users can find out about what you are doing at a certain moment. Which, in the business and / or professional field, is useful so that your work group can know when you are available and when you are not, as well as, intuit how quickly you will be able to respond to their messages .
Thus, taking into account its operation, we highlight that, when setting a status in Slack, a status emoji will appear that is located right next to your name . So, by means of said emoji that appears in any place where your full name or Slack can be seen, the other members will be able to know if you are available or busy . Also, if you prefer, a text cloud will be displayed by default indicating your situation, instead of the status emoji.
In that sense, without further ado, we proceed to explain how you have to set your new status, as well as how you can edit or delete it:
Steps to create your status
The first step in getting started managing your statuses in Slack, of course, is based on creating your new status .
If you prefer to do this through your computer with the web version of Slack, it is necessary that you carry out the following procedure that we detail here:
- To begin, access your account on the platform through its official website, as you usually do.
- Now, when you are inside, find and select your profile image that is located in the upper right corner.
- Next, click on the button that says “How to update your status . ” Which is located in the first position of the small list.
- After that, in the field that appears, proceed to type your new status and choose an emoji at the bottom (or select one of the suggested options there).
- Next, in the “Delete after:” part, Slack lets you define when your status will be deleted . Either: 30 minutes, one hour, four hours, today, this week or selecting a specific date. You can even put “Do not delete”, if this is what you want.
- To conclude, you just have to click on the “Save” button from the bottom.
On the other hand, if you prefer to manage your Slack account through your smartphone or tablet, you should know that it is also possible to change your statuses through the mobile app .
In this case, you need to complete the following step by step:
- Using the Slack mobile application, start this by opening your account there and entering the indicated workspace.
- Then go to the lower right corner of the screen and select the “You” tab .
- After that, press the button that says “How to update your status” . This is located in the first position of the list.
- Now, it’s time to enter your status or select a suggested alternative at the bottom .
- Next, as in the previous case, you have to choose when your Slack status will be deleted . Which is done in the “Delete after:” section .
- Finally, just tap on “Save” directly in the upper right corner.
Steps to modify or delete your status
If, after you’ve set a status in Slack, you need to edit or delete it, it’s important that you know how to do it correctly.
Therefore, below, we explain what you have to do through your computer specifically:
- Open your Slack account using the web version of the application, from your computer.
- Followed by this, in the upper right corner of the panel, proceed to click on the small square of your profile photo .
- Then select your current state. In the window that appears, you can edit it from the corresponding field, by clicking on the “X” on the right side, to place the new status and click “Save” .
- In case you want to delete this state, you just have to click on the button that says “Delete state” at the bottom.
Fortunately, it’s also easy to change or delete your Slack statuses through its mobile app .
Therefore, to do it from there, keep in mind the following procedure to carry it out as we explained it to you:
- Log into your Slack account, using the app for Android or iOS (depending on your case).
- After that, choose the “You” tab at the bottom of the main window.
- Next, you have to press your current status to edit it . This, just by clicking on the “X” to be able to modify said status and adjust the “Delete after …” parameter . Thus, it only remains to touch Save .
- If you want to delete the status of Slack, you also have to press the “X” next to it to proceed to click Save and a message will appear that says “Status deleted . “
Do not disturb mode in Slack What is it and how to correctly configure it to activate automatically at certain times of the day?
Basically, Do Not Disturb mode is a kind of status in Slack that can help you take a break from work and / or focus on something specific without getting distracted by the platform . Since, with it, you can pause notifications in order to have much more peace of mind. In that sense, the Do Not Disturb mode offers you the possibility of setting a specific time for the hours in which you prefer not to receive notifications .
Since, by default, all alerts (notifications or mentions) will be stopped. In addition, to avoid misunderstandings, other members of your workspace will see the “Do not disturb” icon next to your name . Now, to learn how to use Slack’s Do Not Disturb mode, here is how you can activate it to make sure you pause notifications.
In addition to that, we will teach you how to add a default schedule for do not disturb mode so that it is enabled at certain times of the day, automatically:
Steps to activate Do not disturb mode
First of all, we show you how to enable this Slack function through your computer and well, using the web version of the application:
- Login to your account and in the main window, go to the top right to click on your profile image .
- After that, look for the option that says “Pause notifications” and hover your mouse cursor over it.
- Next, you have to select an available time period from the menu .
- If you want to set a custom time period, just click on the “Customize …” option to be able to choose the specific date and time.
Now, if you choose to do it from your Android or iOS mobile device, the procedure to be completed is different.
Here are the steps to follow to activate Slack’s Do Not Disturb mode on a smartphone:
- Using the Slack mobile app, log into your account .
- After that, go to the bottom of the screen and click on the “You” tab .
- Among all the available options, proceed to click on “Do not disturb” .
- To conclude, it simply remains to choose a period of time from the available list or set a custom period by clicking on the “Custom” box .
- Once this is done, tap on “Save” from the upper right corner.
Steps to set a default time for Do not disturb mode
In Slack, only workspace and organization owners and administrators have the power to set a default schedule for this role . Which, practically, will stop sending activity notifications to all members, that is, it will affect all participants in a workspace or organization .
For its part, in order to carry out this configuration, the process must be carried out through a computer and here, we show you what you have to do specifically:
- Starting with the web version for Slack, log into your account and select the name of your workspace (in the upper left corner).
- Subsequently, among the available options, click on “Administration” and then choose “Workspace settings” .
- Next, look for the option “Do not disturb” and within it, select the button that says “Expand . “
- At this point, it is time to choose the time in which you want no notification to be sent to the members of the workspace in question.
- Finally, you just have to click on “Save” and that’s it.
Steps to set a notification schedule
Luckily, members of a certain workspace also have the ability to set a specific notification schedule for their Slack experience . Which, only, will affect your activity in the application and will not influence that of other users .
In this sense, by setting up a notification schedule for the hours when you want to take a break, you will ensure that you receive notifications only on the days that you are fully available to work together with Slack . So, automatically, alerts will be paused outside of those hours .
Next, we explain each step to be taken to establish a notification schedule through your computer:
- Start by accessing your Slack account through the web version and choose your profile image using the upper right corner of the panel.
- After that, hover your mouse over “Pause Notifications” and when the options menu pops up, click “Set a schedule for notifications” (it’s at the bottom).
- Once you do the above, the Preferences window will open and there, you have to go down until you find the “Hours in which you will receive notifications” section .
- Later, in the part of “Allow notifications”, you can choose between: Every day, Business days or Custom (to be much more specific).
- In addition, they allow you to select a start time and an end time for notifications, that is, a limited time interval.
- Finally, click on the close icon once you are done and these settings will be saved automatically.
On the other hand, if you want to do this using the Slack mobile application with your Android or iOS device, you must do what we indicate below:
- First of all, access your Slack account with the service’s mobile app.
- Now, directly from the main window, locate the “You” tab at the bottom and select it.
- Then, in the options menu that appears, click on “Notifications” .
- Once this is done, go to the “General settings” section and click on “Notification hours” .
- Then, it is time to select the option “Allow notifications” and in the box that appears, choose between: Every day, Weekday or Custom (to disable the button that appears next to any day in order to disable notifications specifically) .
- After that, proceed to choose a start time and an end time for notifications, in the corresponding options.
- Then press the arrow to go back and thus, your settings will be stored in the system automatically.