One of the safest ways that exist to protect our Facebook profile is through two-step authentication that the platform will ask us along with the password. This verification consists of giving our account greater security so that no person can access it without our authorization.
Thanks to the activation of this tool, Facebook will be able to inform us every time you enter from a device that does not recognize it or from a place that is not the usual one where we generally do it.
In order to know all the benefits and the steps that are needed to protect our profile, we have made this post, with which you can also know how to recover your Facebook account if you lose your phone.
Why should I protect my profile with two-factor verification? Profits
As we mentioned in the previous paragraphs, the two-factor verification helps us protect our Facebook account by giving us the ability to log in with two log parameters. That is, we will not only need the password but also an access code or the function of a third-party application.
When we activate this tool we obtain a greater layer in our security, therefore, we will obtain the following benefits:
- No person will be able to log in from our account if they do not have the second step, even if they know our password.
- You will not be able to log in from any device that does not recognize Facebook since it will send us an alert for which we have to approve it, if it is not us, you will not be able to access our profile.
- By increasing the security level, no hacker will be able to intercept our account and impersonate us since they will need the second verification step
- We will be sure that our data will be protected since no one will be able to access without being able to verify the steps.
- The configuration is very simple, and you can also use very secure third-party apps.
Keep in mind that, if we have not saved, on Facebook, our computer or the mobile from which we have accessed, we will be asked to do so when we perform the two-factor verification, therefore, we will always have known devices.
We recommend not saving the browser when we are using a public computer, since the security measures are considerably reduced because Facebook understands that this device is ours and when a hacker enters through that device the alerts from the social network will not work.
When our computer has functions activated such as VPN, private browsing or deleting the data once we leave it, the device with which we are accessing will not be recognized . This is why we recommend keeping these settings in mind, as the two-step verification tool will not be effective.
The phone number to which Facebook will send us an SMS, we have to consider the possibility of accessing it, otherwise we will not be able to enter the account.
Steps to activate two-step validation on your Facebook account
When we decide to activate the two-process verification function we have to bear in mind that starting our Facebook profile will be a bit more cumbersome, because we will not only have to put our access code, but also the second registration factor.
Therefore, we have to assess whether the additional work we will have will be more beneficial than safeguarding our privacy. Without a doubt, we recommend that we should have these two verification steps activated.
We will then show you the necessary steps that we will need to do in order to activate the tool that Facebook proposes to us and thus, each time we log in, we will have to verify two parameters to register.
From the computer
The procedure to activate the two-step verification option is as follows from a PC:
- We open the application
- We go to “Login”
- We click on our name
- We choose the option “More”
- We choose “Security Settings”
- We look for the option “Configuration”
- We select “Security and login”
- We look for the alternative “Use two-step authentication”
- We click on “Edit”
- At this point we choose the method we need for authentication and then we follow the configuration instructions.
- Finally, we click on “Activate”
These methods can be sending SMS or a third-party application, being able to add also start the session from a device that already recognizes Facebook, use recovery codes or also Touch security key
To use a third-party app, we recommend LastPass .
With this app installed on our computer, we can enjoy emergency access as well as the password generator. This application can not only be used on a computer, but also on our mobile and on a smart watch.
To use this application we have to follow these instructions:
- We install the app on the device we use to access Facebook
- We log in to Facebook
- We select “Configuration”
- We choose the option “Security”
- We look for the option “Use two-step authentication”
- Click on “Start”
- We write our password
- We choose “Authentication application”
- We follow the configuration steps
From the phone
To configure the two-step verification on our mobile device, we will follow this guide:
- We enter the application
- We look for the option “Configuration”
- We click on “Security”
- We look for “Two-Step Verification”
- We select “Sending a code via SMS” or “Facebook mobile application”
We continue with the configuration instructions according to what we choose.
If we choose the SMS alternative:
- We select “Login approval”
- Next, we enter the number of our mobile device
- We will get a text message
- We enter the SMS code
- We click on “Finish”
When we have chosen the option through Facebook application, we will do these steps:
- We look for the option “Code generator”
- We select “Edit”
- We click on “Accept”
In this way, Facebook will give us a list of 10 codes of 8 digits each, which will ask us to enter one of them through the code generator that is in the last part of the menu . This code is valid for 30 seconds, so once that time is used or exceeded, it is canceled.
The other alternative that exists is through a third-party application, in this case we will use Google Authenticator .
- Installation is very simple, once we have chosen the option “Authentication application” on our device
- We select “Next”
- We will see a QR code which we will have to use in the application to confirm the login
What happens if I lose my phone? Will I not be able to access my Facebook account?
When we lose our mobile device we can enter our Facebook account through our recovery email and immediately change the password.
In order to carry out this alternative, we will have to follow the following guide:
- We go to the home page
- Under the “Password” option you will find “Have you forgotten your account details?” , we click on it
- We write the recovery email
- We click on “Search”
- A dialog box will appear that will tell us “How do you want us to send you the code to change the password?” , and it will give us two options where to send; the first, “Send code by email” ; the second, “Send code by SMS”
- We activate the first alternative
- We choose “You no longer have access?”
- Next, Facebook will ask us how we want it to contact us and we choose an email or phone number to send us the access code to Facebook.
When we have chosen to recover the login through codes, we can access our account as long as we have saved the 10 codes in a different place on our phone.
We recommend entering through the browser and immediately changing the access password so that we can prevent the person who is holding our mobile device from accessing our Facebook profile.