The best way to share files to different devices located in the same place is through the Home Group, or group at home . If you want to know how to set up a home group on your Windows 7 computer, continue reading this handy step-by-step guide .
Previously, specific server systems or programs were required to establish a connection between various devices. Nowadays, it is enough just to do a slight configuration to establish a home network .
Homegroup is a very practical feature that is available in both Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10 . Know all the information regarding this topic!
What is a Homegroup and what is this type of network for in Windows 7?
When you want to play a movie that is on your computer through your laptop, you can take advantage of the advantages offered by the homegroup . That is why it is worth knowing what a Home Group is and what this type of network is for in Windows 7. The homegroup, also known as a Home Group, is a method by which you can configure a home network .
Through the homegroup, all connected devices will be able to share files among themselves, as well as be able to use the printer. For example, you can use the homegroup to send documents, images, videos, or any other file to the rest of the computers that belong to the home network in your environment .
In addition, the home group is a safe environment, as you can provide security by entering a password . In this way, no foreign computer will be able to connect to the network. The password can be changed at any time . Likewise, you can also select the files you want to share and which ones you don’t . However, at any time you can change these settings as required.
What are the benefits of setting up a Home Group?
Often, users need to share resources and information to multiple home computers . The homegroup greatly simplifies the process.
However, we show you that other benefits have to configure a Home Group:
- Easy access to shared resources: Through the home group, you can review any type of file that is configured on the network . For example, you can view the images of your computer from the laptop, as long as it belongs to the home network.
- Always available connectivity : The Internet connection will always be available for all devices that are in the home group.
- Supervised activity: Through the homegroup, you have the opportunity to monitor the interactions of all the devices connected to the home network . This can be seen reflected in the router configuration.
- Device management: Finally, the home group gives you the possibility to remotely manage all the computers that are linked to the network .
Learn step by step how to correctly configure a Home Group in Windows 7
The process to create a Home Group is quite simple . It should be noted that the steps to follow may vary depending on the version of Windows . However, this time we are going to explain the step by step of how to correctly configure a Home Group in Windows 7 . It is necessary to take into account certain aspects before creating a household group in your home. When you configure your computer with Windows 7, a homegroup is automatically created on the computer . In the case that one already exists, you can join it.
It is also necessary to know that all computers connected to the home network must have the Windows 7 operating system so that they can share files between them. Finally, it is essential that for the homegroup to function properly, all computers have Internet Protocol Version 6 (Ipv6) activated.
For this, we will see below the steps to follow:
Create a home group
- Click on the start button . Next, go to the “Control Panel” .
- Type in the search bar, located in the upper right corner, the term “ Home group” .
- On the other hand, you can also click on “Networks and Internet” . On the next screen, the option of “Home group” appears . Click on it.
- At the bottom of the screen, select “Create home group.”
- In the “Create home group” section, you must select the files you want to share with the other computers. To do this, check the boxes that you consider necessary .
- Then click “Next” . The system generates a password, which you can use to provide network access to other devices . Write it down.
- Finally, the home group will be created .
As mentioned above, in the case that there is already a home network, you will be asked if you want to join that homegroup. Keep in mind that if your computer belongs to a domain, you cannot create a new group. You only have the option to join. However, you are only allowed to access files and resources that other computers share over the network, but you cannot share your documents through the home group.
Join a group at home
- Click on the start button. Next, access the control panel .
- Access the “Home Group” section . You can do it from the search bar or from the “Networks and Internet” section .
- At the bottom of the screen, where the “Create Home Group” button previously appeared, the “Join Now” button appears . Press it and follow the instructions.
- You will need to enter the homegroup password to finish the process. In this way, your computer will be linked to the home network.
Access group files
- Click on the start button and click on the username of the session you are currently using.
- In the left panel, click on the “Home Group” button . Next, select the user who owns the files you want to access .
- A list with all available libraries and files will be displayed . Choose the one you require.
You must bear in mind that, if the rest of the computers are turned off or in hibernation mode, their users will not appear in the navigation panel .
Avoid sharing a library
- Open the home group from the control panel.
- Later, uncheck all the boxes of the libraries that you do not want to continue sharing with the rest of the computers.
- Click on “Save Changes” to finish the process.