To delete WhatsApp messages you just have to press and hold the comment and select the trash can icon that you will see in a top bar of the screen. Once you click on this icon, you must select if you want to delete the message for yourself or for everyone. This is an option that WhatsApp has implemented in its new updates, because before it was not possible to delete the messages in case of having the wrong recipient.
The process is simple and practical, but deleting messages on WhatsApp has a time limit. After this period, you can delete the comment for yourself, but not for the other person or members of a group. However, there is a legal trick that you can take to delete messages for everyone after the time limit offered by WhatsApp. You will see this procedure and others in detail throughout this post.
Time limit to delete a message
It is important to mention that to delete WhatsApp messages for all members of a group or for a particular person, there is a time limit of 68 minutes or one hour and 8 minutes. During this time, you can safely delete the comment even if the person has read the message. After this time, the option will be disabled.
Steps to follow
In the following sections you will observe the process to delete a message for everyone or just for you. In the same way, you will detail the steps you must follow in case you want to delete a message for everyone but after the time limit stipulated by WhatsApp.
Delete message for everyone
As mentioned above, if the time limit has not expired, you can delete a message for everyone on WhatsApp in case you have sent it by a group or a particular person in the following way:
- Open WhatsApp and enter any recent conversation.
- Press and hold the message you sent until an action bar appears at the top of the screen. Press the trash can icon that will be enabled.
- Choose ” Delete for all.”
Note: Once you have done these steps, you will see that the message you sent will be replaced with a comment that says ” This message has been deleted.” This notice can be seen by all members of the group or by the person to whom you sent the message.
Delete message for me
If you want to delete a message just for yourself, you must follow the steps that have been explained above, that is, follow the path: ” WhatsApp> Press the message> Press the trash icon> Delete for me “. In the menu you will see that the option will be in the first place. Likewise, if you do these steps after the time limit, you will only find this alternative as the ” Delete for all ” option will be disabled.
Delete messages after the time limit
If for some reason you want to delete a message for everyone but the time limit has passed and the other person has not yet read the message or has already read it, there is a trick you can use to achieve this goal. You just have to follow the steps that will be described below:
- Activate airplane mode on your phone, turn off Wi-Fi, or turn off mobile data.
- Enter ” Configuration ” or ” Settings “.
- Go to ” Applications “.
- Locate ” WhatsApp.”
- Press ” Force stop “.
- Now, go back to ” Settings ” and look for ” Date and time.”
- Open ” Automatic date and time.”
- Press ” Deactivate “. Steps 7 and 8 can be skipped in case you do not have the option ” Use time provided by the network ” activated .
- If several days have passed, go to ” Set date ” and choose the date you sent the message. Then, go to ” Set time ” and select a time that is minutes before the sent message that you want to delete.
- Now, open WhatsApp and search for the conversation.
- Press and hold the message and press the trash can icon that will appear at the top of the screen.
- You will see that the option to ” Delete for everyone ” will appear in the menu .
Delete all messages in a chat
If you are looking to delete all messages in a WhatsApp conversation, the process is really simple. The steps you must take to comply with this action will be mentioned below:
- Open WhatsApp and press and hold the chat you want to delete.
- Press the trash can icon that will appear at the top of the screen.
- Choose if you want to delete all files from that chat. If not, uncheck the option. Then press ” Delete.”
Now that you know how to delete WhatsApp messages for yourself or for everyone, you will avoid the awkward moment of explaining that the sent comment was not directed to the person who received it. Remember that you can do these steps even if the other person or members of a group have read the message.