Although many people are unaware of this method, you can track your cell phone using Google Maps or Gmail. It is a very simple process, you just have to log in with your email address to find your Android with its location function (iOS has its own method). Similarly, you can log in with your Gmail account and access Google Maps on your computer to track the device with the application’s location history.
When losing a cell phone, users’ concerns are many. First of all it is important to locate the mobile, but it is also crucial to protect the information it contains. With Google Maps you will be able to know the location of your phone, as well as you can use the Android “ Find my device ” feature to locate it and additionally block or delete the information synchronized with Google, among other functions.
Requirements to meet
There are certain conditions to track a stolen cell phone with Google Maps or your email address. Below is a list of the main conditions, although it should be noted that there is no order of relevance in this list, since they are all essential to locate the mobile successfully:
- Be connected to the Internet, either through a data connection or WiFi.
- Have the location active.
- That the mobile is turned on preferably. Otherwise, you would only get the last recorded location before it was shut down.
The following requirements may only apply to some of the two methods. So if one of them is not met, you should know that you can still use the other option:
- To track with Gmail : the phone must be synced to your Google account and have the “ Find my device ” function active .
- On the other hand, you will have to have the Google Maps application installed to find the location of your Smartphone with this application.
To activate the location, on most newer smartphones, just press the Widget at the top of the screen, along with Airplane mode, Bluetooth and other functions. In case you do not have this option, you can activate this feature by entering ” Settings ” or ” Configuration “.
Using Google Maps
You can track a stolen cell phone using Google Maps from your computer. This application keeps a record of the different locations through which you have passed with your smartphone. In case of loss, this location history will be very useful to locate your mobile.
To know the last registered location of your Smartphone, enter from the following link to access Google Maps. If you have not logged in to your browser you will have to do it (make sure to enter the account linked to the application on your phone). Then follow these steps:
- Once in Google Maps, open the drop-down menu by clicking on the icon in the upper left corner.
- Look for the option ” Your routes ” and click on it.
- After pressing it, you will see a new tab open. In case you enter the history for the first time, some welcome messages will appear that you will have the possibility to skip.
- Later, you will be able to use the tool by selecting a date in the box indicated with the word “ Routes ”. To know the location of the day, press TODAY.
- Once this is done, the location will appear on the on-screen map.
By following these simple steps you will be able to know the location of your stolen phone with Google Maps. It is important to note that this method also works for iPhone, as long as you have the application installed. If you use iOS and want to download Google Maps, follow thislink to the App Store.