Gmail is the email platform made by Google . A system available in web format or in the form of an app for phones and tablets with which to manage e-mail, receive, send and organize everything related to emails. Its new version has arrived, full of changes and novelties designed to make it easier to use and offer more comforts.
The latest Gmail update serves to improve both the design and functions of this platform, adding more tools that streamline processes. In turn, this is responsible for making work with emails much easier. Users resort to this Google system for its intuitive use and for the compatibility with emails from different platforms, allowing the use of Outlook, Yahoo! and the like.
You don’t know or you can’t update or activate the new Gmail email interface in its new version? If that’s your case, this step-by-step guide explains everything you need to know to renew. We give you the guidelines to apply the update on both PCs and smartphones and, in addition, we detail all the news that it incorporates and the advantages it brings with all of them.
Steps to update and activate the new version of Gmail email
The steps to update and activate the new version of Google Gmail depend on the device used. In this section we will proceed by explaining what you should do both on PC and if you are using an Android or iOS smartphone.
On PC or computer
If you access on PC, to have the new credentials and change the view to the new version of Gmail, you just have to access its website and login as usual. If the renewed version does not appear, there may be some kind of incident. Follow these steps then:
- Enter your usual web browser and enter the Gmail web by entering the following URL: https://mail.google.com/mail/
- Now, enter the email address or the phone number linked to the account with which you want to sign in. Click on “Next “.
- Similarly, now enter the password, remembering to respect capital letters. Click on “Next ” again.
- If you have activated the 2-step login, now you will have to take the linked smartphone for this. Do so and click on the notification that appears to accept the login.
- Once inside Gmail, go to the upper right and click on the gear-shaped icon .
- Look between the options that appear in the drop-down and click on the one called “Try the new Gmail” or “Activate the new Gmail . ” If it doesn’t appear, you have the newest version available.
On Android and iOS mobile devices
On Android and iOS devices, some special points must be taken into account. IOS terminals, such as iPhone, are not compatible with the Gmail app, so it is not possible to update, it can only be accessed from the browser or by synchronizing accounts.
On the other hand, Android does use the app, and here we explain what to do to update it:
- Open Google Play Store, the application store, by clicking on the icon on the phone.
- Now, click on the three horizontal lines in the search bar to open the options menu.
- Inside the drop-down, press the option “My applications and games.”
- Scroll down as many as there are until you find “Gmail . ” If there is a new version available, a button will appear next to the name with the text “ Update ”. Click on it.
- Wait for the procedure to finish and when it is finished, open the application . You already have the newest version.
If you have had to follow these steps on your phone, it is because you do not have automatic updates activated . To avoid having to repeat it for future occasions, do the following:
- Go back into the “Play Store”.
- Go to the same options menu by clicking on the icon with three lines.
- Now, scroll down to “Settings” and press there to enter.
- Access the “Update applications automatically” section that is in the list that has now appeared.
- On the screen that now appears, choose “On any network” or “Only over Wi-Fi.”
- With this, the automatic updates are already activated and Gmail will renew itself .
What news and advantages does the new Gmail update offer us?
The email platform has been revamped, offering a very different design from the original. Curved and much clearer elements predominate in the new interface, but what news and advantages does the new update offer us? What are the exact changes that have come with this review?
The objective of this change is that more things can be done from the inbox, without having to enter other menus. As a result of this, usability has been improved and more extra functions have been implemented. We will explain all that below:
- Sidebar redistribution: in addition to having the traditional bar on the left, a new one appears on the right. In the first one are the different mail trays, the Google Hangouts chat and the usual. In the second there are Google Keep, Google Calendar and the Google Tasks section ; plus the option to add more plugins. You can incorporate tools here.
- Organization of emails: when you move the mouse over any email in the inbox or outbox, several icons appear that serve to perform different functions. These are all those that are directly accessible, without having to enter other submenus or mark:
- “Get rid of”
- “Mark as unread”
- Overview: when you first access the new Gmail layout, you are given the option to choose between compact, default and convenient view. They all differ in the amount of information they reflect on the screen, having both advantages and disadvantages depending on the type of user. The first one leaves only information such as sender or recipient, subject and time; Crowd everything on the tray to show the most. The second also shows the attachments and allows access to them without opening the email, leaving more space. The third one looks like the compact one, but it doesn’t show as many emails at the same time.
- Secret and expired emails : among the new options available when sending emails, you have the option of marking them as confidential. If you do this, only the recipient will be able to open it and will not be able to forward it, preventing it from spreading further where it should. On the other hand, expiration means that an email cannot be read when it exceeds a certain date, even if it is still in the inbox or in the outbox.
- Automatic and intelligent responses: Leveraging AI, Gmail now provides a series of automated responses based on the type of email received. When you open it, several options to respond are displayed below, being able to choose the most appropriate one by clicking on it, sending an immediate response without having to write anything.
- Postpone emails: if you have several emails that you cannot pay attention to at the moment and you do not want them to be buried by others that may arrive, you just have to click or tap on the clock-shaped icon that appears at the side. In this way, you can reschedule the time and date you want them to reappear so that, this time, you can read them carefully. This tool helps not to miss any mail.
- Full integration with Google plugins: through the taskbar, as we have already indicated, there are a number of plugins available and expandable. Using this, you can take greater control and organization for your emails, taking advantage of tools such as Trello or Dropbox, in addition to Calendar or Keep . This way you can avoid making appointments on busy dates, for example.
With all these new features, Gmail offers many more advantages with its new version . A better tailored design, a good set of tools and a reoriented interface for easy access and straightforward completion of tasks. The main advantage, which stands out above the others, is the time saving that all this brings once it is mastered. Managing tasks and emails is much faster with the new Google email .