OneDrive, formally known as Microsoft OneDrive, is a cloud file management and hosting service exclusively for Microsoft users. This service is part of the office suite of the Office suite, in charge of carrying out administration and storage functions on the web, allowing users to upload and edit documents, spreadsheets, presentations, etc. to Microsoft’s cloud and sync to local storage with cloud storage.
|Official Web site||https://onedrive.live.com/|
|Launch||August 1, 2007|
|Platforms||Web, Android, iOS, Windows, MacOS, Xbox|
|See guides about this service|
Although it is an exclusive service for Microsoft users, the software that constitutes it is compatible with any web browser and with the main Operating Systems used today, that is, MacOS, Android, iOS and Windows Phone. It should be noted that the application is only compatible with recent versions of Windows for computers, that is, Windows 8 and Windows 10.
This service was launched in August 2007 by Microsoft, which is why it has been given different names throughout its development. It was previously known as SkyDrive, Microsoft SkyDrive, Windows Live SkyDrive, and Windows Live Folders. Its current version was released in February 2014, as a higher version of SkyDrive. This application is available in 107 languages.
Today, OneDrive is one of the high-end services in the cloud storage services market because it has notable features that Microsoft has been working on for twelve years, since the primitive version of this service was released. Among the main features of OneDrive that make it a top-level competitor to other services such as Google Drive or Dropbox, are the following:
- It offers its users tools from the Microsoft office suite through Office Online. So they can create, edit and share documents, spreadsheets, slides and more within the web browser. It has online versions of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote.
- It allows uploading up to 5 files simultaneously with any web browser on the market. Furthermore, by making it possible to install ActiveX tools, it allows users to upload an unlimited number of files from Windows Explorer.
- It enables users to share hyperlinks and provides a folder in the cloud to store as many as desired.
- It is associated with other web services to operate fully and meet different user requirements in addition to creating and editing documents. Therefore, in addition to interoperating with Outlook and Skype, it is associated with Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn to allow its users to share their work on social networks.
Similarly, it has links to Bing so that users have a search history in the main menu.
- Its free version offers 5 Gb of storage, while in paid versions, depending on the storage plan, there is a storage of 50 Gb, 100 Gb, 200 Gb, 1 Tb and 6 Tb.
- It enables the subscription to RSS (Really Simple Syndication) feeds of the content of public folders, which generate preview images of the added files, as a thumbnail or icon of the file type.
- It allows complete folders to be downloaded as compressed files in ZIP format.
- The download limit for a single file is 15 Gb, while for a set download the limit is 20 Gb.
- It implements a recycling bin, which is responsible for storing files deleted by users for a given interval of time ; keeping them in a storage space other than that available to the user in the cloud.
- Allows viewing of PDF and ODF (Open Document Format) files. The latter is an XML (Extensible Markup Language) based file that is supported by many word processing applications.
- It allows its users to upload photos, giving the possibility of other users to view them through web browsers. Generally, photos are downloaded from Windows Photo Gallery or directly as ZIP files. It uses a geolocation data system to update users’ multimedia files.
- It has a client that works as an application on devices with Android, iOS, Windows 8, Windows 10 and Windows Phone Operating Systems. Currently, this application is a UWP (Universal Windows Platform) that combines the functions of the app version and the web version.
- All files stored in the OneDrive cloud are under monitoring by Microsoft, so any violation of the accepted code of conduct will result in permanent or temporary account suspension. In addition, this service provides a “Personal Store”, a folder with additional security to store sensitive files.
How does it work
The basic architecture of OneDrive is a client-server network, where the application installed on the device acts as an intermediary between the cloud servers and the Microsoft user. Like any service of this nature, it has a web version that eliminates the customer’s intermediation and leads the user directly to the virtual hosting of their files.
Thanks to the link with the Outlook account, the web version of OneDrive is able to load any file or folder from the local disk without the need for synchronizations between devices. As well as creating any document, spreadsheet and slide, differing from the client application that is installed on the devices, depending on the synchronization between devices. Through the same mechanism, it is able to keep track of activities, providing different options in the initial menu.
Although the web version of Outlook allows users to access from devices with operating systems incompatible with the client, it is dependent on the Internet connection. Therefore, the application version turns out to be much more practical and efficient for users, especially if it is a UWP.
How to use
The main requirement to use OneDrive functions is to register as a Microsoft user, this simply involves creating an account in Outlook. With this done, you can directly access the OneDrive website, where you can upload, create, edit and share files. The step-by-step that constitutes the basic actions of OneDrive will be described below :
How to upload a file
- Access the main menu of the OneDrive user account, called “My files”. All this, from theOneDrive official page.
- After that, go to the upper gray bar and press the “Load” button .
- A small menu will be displayed with the options “Files” and “Folder”. Select the “Files” option . If you want to upload a set of files contained in a particular folder, select the other option.
- Next, a local disk storage window will pop up to select the file or files to upload to the cloud.
- OneDrive will notify you that the files are being uploaded with a message on the top bar.
- An additional button will be added to the bar called “Loading X elements”, by pressing this button you can view the progress of loading the selected files.
- To open the documents, just click on its icon in the menu, and OneDrive will update the portal to show the pages of the file.
- If you want to copy the file from the main menu of “My files” into a folder, press the button on the top bar “Copy to”. You can select the folder that will also have the document.
- Also, taking advantage of this displayed menu, you can create a new folder to contain the document by clicking on “New folder”.
- Write the name of the new folder and click “Create. ” Then select created folder.
- Alternatively, functions such as copy, move and delete can be applied from the main menu “My files”, selecting the white circle in the upper corner of the box of the file or files to be modified.
- If you want to upload the files directly to the desired folder, you only have to access the cloud folder and press the “Upload” button , repeating the first four steps described.
How to share files
- Select the file or files that you want to share to update the top bar of the main menu “My files” and press the “Share” button on the bar.
- Write the name of the recipients or their emails in the text space of the box and press the blue “Send” button. If desired, omit writing a descriptive message.
- If you want to create a link hyperlink to the files, click on the gray circle of the “Copy link” option .
- Press the “Copy” button to share the hyperlink to the files directly to the recipients through instant messaging applications, or any other tool.
- To establish restrictions on the edition and visualization of the hyperlink, click on the lower box that contains “Anyone who has the link can edit”.
- Finish the configuration by clicking “Apply” and disseminate the link among the target users.
How to create a document
- Access the main menu “My files” again and go to the top bar to press the “New” button .
- Select the type of Office document you want to create, be it a Word document, an Excel spreadsheet, or a PowerPoint presentation, etc.
- The user will be redirected to a new tab that will consist of the Office portal of the chosen document. In this case, you have opted for a Word doc, thus displaying the essential Office interface for creating and editing the document.
- The name of the document can be changed by clicking the button “Document1 – Saved in OneDrive” located in the top blue bar.
The document has been automatically saved in the main menu “My files” and can be edited or modified whenever desired.
- OneDrive is fully integrated with Microsoft’s office suite and other services, allowing the user to multitask while in the cloud, as well as upload and share documents.
- The OneDrive client allows you to keep your local computer and mobile phone storage synchronized. In addition, it allows you to do without Internet connections to access files stored in the cloud.
- The files are protected by a robust security system, so they will be kept safe from malware and cyber criminals.
- It provides tools to work collectively on the same document and to simplify communication with each member of the team.
- Provides a mechanism to generate hyperlinks to the files that you want to share.
- Free storage : OneDrive grants 5GB of free storage to all registered users on the platform. This will help to test said service to see if it meets the requested quality standards.
- Synchronization capacity between devices: you can synchronize as many devices as you want to have any data stored in the cloud almost instantly. In this way, you can enjoy comfort and excellence at all times.
- Security: Microsoft provides layers of security that prevent access to your information stored in the cloud, unless third parties have the access credentials. Therefore, you can feel safe to save all your files on this virtual platform.
- Share files: you will be able to spread files over the Internet and send them to other people almost instantly. If they are extremely large files, then it can be a great alternative to use this type of platform.
- Teamwork: You can upload your files to the cloud and then work on them with other people. This is useful in professional activities that
require constant modification of a file until the final results are reached.
- Files stored in the OneDrive cloud can be accidentally corrupted.
- The free storage it offers is considerably reduced compared to the paid versions, and even the free storage offered by the competition. Also, configuration tools available in other cloud storage services are restricted in OneDrive.
- It is absolutely dependent on the Internet when activating its various functions, especially during synchronization.
- Only one account per user: this platform detects accounts created with false data, therefore, there would be a risk if trying to create more than one. OneDrive is very strict about this, which is why it usually removes a large number of accounts from your website.
- Requires constant Internet access – This is a problem for any cloud service. Therefore, OneDrive would not be the exception at this point. It is essential to have internet when using this type of service.
- Risk of information theft: by being able to access it through a username and password on all types of devices, there is a risk that third parties may access this information despite all types of security measures implemented.
Despite the fact that OneDrive is one of the main options when it comes to storing files in the cloud, there may be the occasion that this service is not to the liking of a person for a variety of reasons. Therefore, it is always necessary to mention other alternatives for use.
Mega, has established itself as one of the main storage options in the cloud. This platform is easy to use and allows you to protect all kinds of data at fairly affordable prices. One of its disadvantages may be the security risks it represents for the Internet community. If you want to access this service, follow thislink.
In addition, Mega has applications for both Android and iOS. Each of these can be downloaded from the store itself or using the following buttons: