Dropbox is a computer application dedicated to offering file hosting services in the cloud, that is, it allows its users to store, share and synchronize different types of files and folders online, from any device, whether it is a computer. desktop, laptop, smartphone, tablet, etc.
Specifically, Dropbox is a cross – platform cloud storage application, which is why it is available for Windows, Mac OS, Linux, iOS, Android, among other operating systems. This application has both free and paid versions; each of them offering particular services. According to recent counts, Dropbox has more than 500 million users from around the world, being available in English, Spanish, French, German, etc.
|Creators||Drew Houston and Arash Ferdowsi|
|Platforms||Web, Windows, MacOs, Android, iOS, Linux|
|Official Web site||https://www.dropbox.com|
|Create Account Log in|
Dropbox is developed by the North American company Dropbox Inc., being the work of programmers Drew Houston and Arash Ferdowsi, who launched it on the market in June 2007, thanks to the financing they received from Y Combinator. Despite being a highly valued application worldwide, it has been criticized and has caused controversy due to breaches in its security system and due to privacy issues of its users.
Dropbox has gained huge popularity in a short period of time. The concept of Dropbox is that you can simply access your files from anywhere and share them with others. The best part about Dropbox is its syncing. Any file you save to Dropbox will also be instantly mirrored on your Dropbox computers, phones, iPad, and websites.
Dropbox has unique characteristics in this type of platform, for example, it allows us to backup files and it is not difficult to access them. If for some reason you deleted important files, Dropbox gives you the opportunity to recover them. The files never close or are no longer available to you, and you can share them with whoever you want through a personal link.
Dropbox is an online service application that consists of multiple features, due to its continuous evolution. Of all the characteristics that it has acquired throughout its history, among the most outstanding we must name the following:
- It has a client-server network, in which the Dropbox client is responsible for storing users’ files in defined folders, as well as synchronizing these files with the cloud and other devices that use the client.
- The files stored by Dropbox in addition to being shared through the official website of the app, accessing the respective user account; they can be shared using direct access links.
- Allows file transfer and synchronization via USB devices. The files can even be stored manually through web browsers.
- Dropbox’s revision history makes it possible to recover files deleted from the cloud and old versions of such files. In free accounts, the revision history is cleaned every 30 days, while in paid accounts, there are no pre-established cleaning periods.
- Dropbox’s history is based on delta encoding technology, which saves bandwidth and time, since only the parts of the files that have been changed during synchronization will be uploaded.
- Dropbox offers three types of accounts. The first is a free account known as “Free” or “Basic”, which offers an initial storage capacity of 2 Gb, and can go up to 16 Gb if the user makes new people join the service. The second is a paid account called “Pro”, which provides 1 Tb of storage. Finally, the third is a paid business account called “Business”, which offers 5 Tb of storage and administration tools.
- In terms of security, Dropbox uses SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) transfers and uses the AES-256 (Advanced Encryption Standard) encryption protocol to store files.
- Dropbox is collaborating with other web applications through the REST (Representational State Transfer) API (Application Programming Interface), so there are plugins for Drupal, WordPress and Joomla !. In addition, it allows you to synchronize with accounts in Slack, Zoom, among others.
- One of the best known Dropbox services is Dropbox Paper, which is one of the most notable competitors to Google Docs, as it allows you to work collectively on editing shared documents.
How does it work
To experience first-hand all the features that we have reported about Dropbox, it is necessary to register on the official website of the application, selecting from the three types of accounts it offers. Once the account is made, it is possible to access the application through the official website, or by downloading the installer that the same website offers. If you want to install the application on a smartphone or tablet, it can be downloaded from Google Play, App Store, etc.
When the application is executed, it makes use of the network and activates the client, which mainly enables the user to upload any file in a specific folder. During the transfer of files, these are automatically updated in the Dropbox cloud, making them available to the recipient users. This automatic update system, which is part of delta encoding, makes Dropbox update only those parts of the file that have changed.
Synchronization between the client and Dropbox servers keeps the respective cloud storage space up to date. This interconnected network based on cloud storage allows different users to work collectively on a document, as well as other forms of work collaboration interaction through additional computing tools.
How to use
To use the Dropbox cloud file hosting service, either to share files or to work collectively, it is necessary to register as a user on the official website. Therefore, the following will describe the steps of the registration process and the main functions of Dropbox.
How to create a free account and install Dropbox
- Enter in the Dropbox official website to fill out the form located on the right side, accept the Dropbox conditions and press the “Create an account” button. Or simply, use the “Register with Google” button to avoid filling in the form.
- Choose the desired plan to get started on Dropbox, either the free or paid version.
- Authorize the browser to download the application installer, when requested by dropbox.com.
- Run the Dropbox installer and wait until the installer automatically installs.
- At the end of the installation, a browser pop-up window will appear in which Dropbox provides the possibility to install the application also on mobile devices. To do this, you will only have to enter the respective telephone number, although the download link can also be sent to the user’s email.
- Simultaneously, the initial application window will appear, in which the user email and password must be entered to access Dropbox, or simply click on “Sign in with Google” or “Sign in with Apple”.
- Subsequently, a window will appear where Dropbox will present two options to store the files, either to store the downloads on the hard drive (Dropbox Basic) or to continue with the cloud storage (Dropbox Plus).
- Next, a window will appear to configure the backup copies of the hard disk, showing the folders that can be backed up and choosing which of them will definitely be.
After this, Dropbox will be ready to use. It should be noted that these last two steps are optional, that is, they can be omitted, since these settings can be established at any time through the main menu of the application.
How to upload files
- Access dropbox.com through the desktop assistant, by pressing the second icon after the “+”, or through the official Dropbox website.
- Once on dropbox.com, go to the right side of the online site, in the “Create” section, and select the “Upload files” option .
- A pop-up window will appear in which you must select the file you want to upload to the Dropbox cloud
- After selecting the file, a window will appear on dropbox.com where you must select the cloud hosting folder that will contain the file. If none have been created, Dropbox provides a “Create New Folder” option . To create this new folder it will only be necessary to give it a name.
- Once the hosting folder has been chosen, you will only have to wait until the file is loaded by the software.
How to share files
- On the dropbox.com page, go to the right margin of the site and in the options displayed under “Create”, click on the “New shared folder” option .
- If you click on the “Files” button located on the left side of the dropbox.com home page, you can also access the “New Shared Folder” option , located on the right side of the screen. The same happens if the “Shared” button located to the right of the “Files” menu is pressed , although it will appear as “Create new shared folder”.
- Whatever the path followed, a window will pop up on dropbox.com in which the application will provide two options for sharing folders. The first option is to create a new folder to share, while the second is to share an existing folder. If you want to share a new folder, only it must be named in the process, but it must be loaded with files.
- Once the folder has been selected, a new window will appear where the email addresses of the people who will have shared access will be placed, as well as there will be a field to write an optional message. Next to the email box there is a button with which you can specify whether the recipients will be able to edit the file, or only view it.
An alternative to sending links by email is at the bottom of the same window, which consists of the “Create link” button. Once the link has been created, the “Copy link” button must be clicked , in order to share the folder link with the respective people.
How to use Dropbox Paper
- On the dropbox.com home page, click on the “Paper” option located on the right side of the screen.
- In the Paper menu, press the “Create Paper Document” button .
- A new portal will appear, which will be the Paper document that can be shared with anyone by copying the link from the browser, or by pressing the “Share” button located at the top of the screen.
- In the field of writing of Paper there are multiple options to complement the lines of text that are written, which allow the incorporation of images, videos, among other multimedia elements from different social networks and those that have been hosted in Dropbox.
- Additionally, this text editing bar allows you to add tables, timelines, tasks and bulleted and / or numbered lists, by pressing the corresponding icon.
- Also, at the bottom is the keyboard icon, which shows shortcuts that can be made to speed up the editing of the text. This icon is next to the question mark icon, used for help, suggestions, and comments.
- With the bottom bar of Paper it is also possible to introduce section breaks and add lines of code.
- Next to each line of text and in images and videos, or when selected, there is the comments icon (dialog box), which allows you to add any observation to the collective work that is being carried out.
- When selecting text, a bar with different editing options appears, allowing you to apply bold, strike out words, highlight them, create hyperlinks, modify the font size, place numbered or bulleted lists, and add comments.
- By pressing the “+” button on the top bar you can create a new Paper document.
Sign in or go to Dropbox
Through the Web
The common way to log in to Dropbox is through its website, you will only need your email and password to do so.
- Go to Dropbox.com and in the upper right corner click on ” Sign in “.
- Now, in the corresponding fields, enter your email and your password; then, if you are on a secure computer and you do not want to re-enter the data, check the ” Remember my account ” box, finally click on ” Sign in “.
That’s how easy it is to log into Dropbox through the web, if you don’t fill in a field wrongly, then you won’t have any problems.
There is another option to log into Dropbox through the web and that is using your Google account. This option is faster than the conventional one, because after associating your account with Dropbox, you only have to press once on the login button with Google to enter.
- Go to the web, Dropbox.com, and click the ” Sign in ” option located in the upper right corner.
- Below the button with a blue background and white letters that says ” Sign in “, there is ” Sign in with Google “, you must press it.
- Next, a pop-up window will open, asking you to choose one of the Google accounts you are signed in to. If you want to enter with an account that is not listed, you must click on ” Use another account “.
- After having selected a Google account to log into Dropbox, in the same window you will have to confirm the action by clicking on the ” Allow ” button .
With these simple steps you will be able to log in quickly, intuitively and smoothly using the ” Log in with Google ” button.
Because it is a service that is available on various platforms that are synchronized with each other, the desktop application that millions of users often use could not be missing so as not to exhaust the limited space on their hard drives. To successfully log into this program, please follow the steps below.
- You must download and install the Dropbox app from this link.
- Open the program and in the corresponding fields enter your email and password, then click on the blue button that says ” Login ” in white .
After that, you will have already logged in and depending on the configuration you have, every time your computer’s operating system starts, Dropbox will do so as well and you will not need to log in again.
With Google from the desktop
Another alternative to logging into the desktop application, as well as the website, is by connecting through a Google account.
- Open the Dropbox desktop application and click the ” Sign in with Google ” button.
- By pressing the button, it will redirect you to a web page where you must confirm that you want to continue with the process.
- When you press the button, a pop-up window will open in which you have to choose a Google account to continue. If the email you have chosen does not yet have the accepted permissions, another window will appear in which you have to press the ” Allow ” button . If you have them, the session will start directly.
This way, as on the web, is the fastest way to log in. Anyway, the desktop app automatically logs you in after you log in for the first time.
From the application (Android and iOS)
The Dropbox mobile app is available on all major mobile operating systems; its function is magnificent, since the planning of this service is perfectly adapted to the utilities provided by mobile devices. To enjoy it, you must log in, fortunately it is a simple task that we will explain below.
- Download the Dropbox application on your mobile device from one of the following links: download application for Android,download app for iOS.
- Enter the application, below the blue ” Register ” button, there is an option that says ” Login ” in small letters.
- After you have pressed the button, you will be taken to a page where you have to enter your email and password, then press the blue button that says ” Login “.
After completing these steps, if you entered the data correctly, you will have already logged in.
With Google from the application
Google is the default alternative for logging into Dropbox from any platform, which is why it is important that you know how to do it.
- Open the Dropbox app and hit the first button that says ” Sign in with Google.”
- A window will appear in which you must choose a Google account, if any is listed or log in with one.
- After having chosen one or having logged in, another window will appear in which you must confirm that you want to continue. To do this, you must go to the end and click on the blue button that says ” Allow “.
Ready, without inconvenience, with these steps you can log in with Google in the Dropbox mobile application.
You may have forgotten your password, email or have some other problem. Don’t worry, in InfoCuentas we will provide you with some solutions for the most common problems when you log in.
- Password forgotten or changed.
It is possible that you have forgotten your password due to the time you have not logged in or that it has been changed by a third party due to carelessness on your part. The simplest solution is to enterthis link, enter the email address of your account and click on the “Send” button. Dropbox will send you an email to reset your password.
- E-mail not accessed or forgotten.
Without access to your email address, it is impossible to recover your account. You can try to remember it on a device that is associated, a folder that has been shared a long time ago but which you have access to today, or some payment information. In the event that you have not forgotten, but have lost access, you should contact your email provider to request support.
- Account access denied.
You may have tried to log in in all the ways and have not had any success, or that any of the automated options that Dropbox offers you to recover some of your data is not enough. What you should do is contact the company’s support directly by pressinghere.
These three indications are enough to recover an account whose access has been denied due to common problems; In the case of extraordinary questions, the support of the company will always be able to help you.
Advantages and disadvantages of Dropbox
Dropbox is an application whose service is currently valuable to carry out work activities together, providing its users with tools to improve efficiency and performance in the office or at home. Nonetheless, Dropbox is not exempt from flaws, being fiercely criticized on privacy and security issues. Therefore, the main advantages and disadvantages of Dropbox will be highlighted below :
- It allows files, folders and documents to be shared through links, facilitating the dissemination of said link through instant messaging.
- Capable of uploading and storing files in any format.
- Access to files, folders and documents from different devices.
- Provides an indefinite backup of files uploaded to the cloud.
- It offers specialized computer tools in administration to business organizations, allowing to optimize the execution of the program and work schedule.
- Provides little storage for free accounts.
- Only the files that are in the main folder of the application on the hard disk will be synchronized .
- When sharing files, users with editing access should not work simultaneously, as a conflict occurs and the file may be duplicated.
- In its free version, Dropbox only offers 2 GB of storage, something that is little when compared to other alternatives such as Google Drive.
Dropbox is not the only online data storage service, there is a lot of variety that we want to share with you.
- Sync: It is proclaimed as one of the competencies that Dropbox has. What makes it stand out is web security, large storage capacity, and all at a low cost.
- pCloud : This company has gained popularity today, has encryption security from the client and brings the option of a one-time payment to subscribe for life.
- Google Drive : It has a range of options intertwined with all Google services, it gives us the possibility to synchronize everything with our email and it gives us 15 GB of storage for free.
- MediaFire : This alternative is one of the most sought after for being free, unlike Dropbox, MediaFire offers us 10 Gb totally free to store information. With a few steps, we can expand this amount to 50 GB and thus access the information from any device.
As the lack of space on our hard drives increases and each time we need more space to store information, Dropbox was born and was postulated as a great alternative in mid-2007. Its creators were Drew Houston and Arash Ferdowsi, MIT students ( Massachusetts Institute of Technology).
They saw the opportunity, by analyzing that people were using email as a way to share files, without simply having a backup or linking. It is for this reason that they created a platform not only to save or store information, but also gave it the ability to share files and synchronize them between various users.
Today, Dropbox is a global platform with more than 100 million users. It is used in more than 170 countries and since 2011, it has languages such as German, French, Japanese and Spanish.