While it is true, Windows 10 is the latest version released around Microsoft’s operating system. Which, with only 5 years of experience, has managed to consider itself as one of the best OS in the world . Taking into account that, by default, it is a lightweight system that reveals little resource consumption, provides a better experience thanks to Cortana and supports virtual desktops .
In addition to this, W10 also stands out from the rest for its remarkable security and reliability, given that it has higher levels of encryption, a powerful password manager and a seamless source code. However, when browsing the Internet, users are not exempt from presenting certain vulnerabilities that it is appropriate to take into consideration.
Therefore, because of the latent dangers in the online world, it is essential that users know what the greatest dangers are . Like, how you can safely browse from your Windows 10 PC and some tips that will help you acquire much more privacy. Which, we will explain throughout this post .
What are the main risks to which we expose ourselves when browsing the Internet?
It is no secret to anyone that the Internet has been an excellent tool for humanity and thanks to its different strengths, it has managed to facilitate people’s day-to-day lives, in addition to speeding up the flow of information exponentially .
However, despite simplifying many human activities and contributing to the personal development of Internet users, the truth is that these advantages also reveal some cons . In this sense, today, a large number of risks to which Internet users are exposed when browsing in this environment are distinguished .
This being the case, the main disadvantages that produce vulnerabilities and can bring serious consequences, if the pertinent actions are not taken to protect yourself and increase your privacy on the Internet . Therefore, to reduce these vulnerabilities and be aware of what is happening in this world, it is valuable to know the main risks to which you expose yourself when browsing online .
Therefore, here we will introduce you to the most relevant of all:
This is a problem that Internet users are facing more and more. Which, basically, it is a malicious action by an individual who decides to be done for another person with malicious purposes (obtaining data illegally, committing some type of fraud, etc.). In other words, it occurs once a perverse person improperly appropriates another digital identity .
In this way, it acts under your name and apart from acquiring confidential information, it is also possible that it uses it to publish it in order to blackmail, extort or discredit the victim online . Even on the Internet, identity theft is also generated when a person creates a profile with the data of another user and acts on their behalf .
That is why, when an attack of this type is created, the victim in question will have consequences such as: threats, insults, ridicule, a distorted image of himself on the Internet and even financial losses . Taking into account that the most pertinent solution in such cases is to report the perpetrator by all possible means .
In recent years, this has been one of the most used methods by untrustworthy Internet users to fraudulently obtain confidential information from users, especially data based on their bank accounts, credit cards and / or account passwords. Thus, it consists of a type of online scam that uses deception to generate the acquisition of funds illegally .
For its part, this term comes from the words “password harvesting fishing” which, in Spanish, means “password harvesting and fishing” . Among other details, phishers make use of social engineering techniques to obtain the information they need. For this, they generally pose as a trusted company through SMS / MMS systems, phone calls, instant messages, emails and social networks.
In this way, they cause the economic loss of the victim from their bank accounts or credit cards . Therefore, to avoid this, it is best to stop delivering confidential data via email, verify the veracity of the company in question, not click on any link received by strangers, stop responding to messages that seem suspicious, etc.
Also known as “cyberbullying”, cyberbullying is defined as a risk present in the digital world that produces abuse, at a psychological level, of minors and is caused by another minor using technologies such as the Internet, mobile devices, networks social and video games .
In general, the perpetrators focus on threatening, harassing, humiliating, tormenting and annoying other minors (or even adults) . Consequently, cyberbullying is characterized by posting or sharing harmful, negative and cruel content about another person . Valuing that, in many cases, it can include private information to cause embarrassment and humiliation in front of other Internet users.
Reason why, this is classified as criminal behavior on the Internet . Thus, cyberbullying generates serious consequences that have a great impact, even leading to the death of the victim . Thus, a more serious risk than bullying because its spread is faster and has more coverage, apart from the fact that it can include attacks by more malicious people .
It is also very common to find computer viruses when browsing the Internet. These are defined as digital threats that have the ability to hijack the resources of the computer used in order to spread and perform illegitimate and harmful actions for the user .
Viruses of this class can generally be contracted through e-mail by opening attachments (executable program files or macro files) that seem harmless, but are not. Likewise, these threats are also distributed through instant messaging platforms to spread more quickly by simply getting more contacts to click on an added link.
In the same way, there are software download viruses that are one of the most common to infect computers, since illegitimate Internet users use ads or pop-up windows to have greater opportunities to infect others while browsing the Internet. . In other words, these threats can be attached to a file or document, as well as to a link or a program.
It corresponds to a practice that describes the sending of sexual, erotic or pornographic content through the Internet, based on suggestive texts, images and videos . Which, in most cases, are created by the sender himself. Being this, a threat carried out by adolescents who usually send said content as proof of affection to someone, on their own initiative .
In this way, the perpetrators take advantage of the victims to use those images or videos with the aim of blackmailing and extorting them to obtain as a result, what they want (almost always, it is money). Because of this, sexting is also known as “sextortion” on the Internet and so far, it has affected millions of Internet users around the world. Which, without a doubt, marks the victims for life and damages their reputations in a remarkable way .
As a consequence, erotic content may be distributed to everyone, without apparent control. With this, the perpetrators achieve their mission, by making the affected people feel humiliated . Which can end with loss of self-esteem, depression, anxiety problems, psychological trauma, exclusion from society and, sadly, can even lead to suicide .
Another of the greatest dangers of the Internet is harmful hosting. Which, basically, is one that exhibits negative particularities in the Internet browsing experience, such as: information theft, infected servers, adult-themed web hosting, low-quality support and SQL injections. In this sense, this type of problem sets aside the protection of user data, given that they are not treated properly .
It is likely that malicious third parties can store this information to use it for malicious purposes in order to achieve their tasks . Which, mainly, ends in unwanted advertising and even identity theft. Thus, in terms of security, harmful hosting reveals notable gaps for users. Taking into account that, the reliability is completely null in these environments and as a consequence, there is no type of privacy. It is a practice that even carries legal consequences and sanctions .
Learn step by step how to browse the Internet from your Windows 10 PC
Fortunately, to surf the Internet safely in Windows 10, users have several solutions that allow them to acquire a higher level of privacy in the face of so many vulnerabilities and prying eyes . Which means that this operating system allows you to implement several alternatives to be able to have more security on the Internet, from a PC with W10.
We detail these solutions below:
To enjoy an optimal browsing experience on the Internet, it is essential to use a web browser that has the relevant characteristics to guarantee this . For this reason, in Windows 10, it is advisable to install a browser that allows you to access all the information on websites safely and privately . In this sense, when choosing your ideal browser, it is best that you value its level of security, verifying if it manages to identify fraudulent websites through certain filters.
For example; or if there is any risk of identity theft, such as the presence of a computer virus . Also, look at the privacy it allows to obtain, either by browsing incognito or avoiding tracking by web pages . Additionally, we advise you to check the speed it delivers, its compatibility, its functionality and its design.
Thus, under all these characteristics, it is appropriate to install some of the following web browsers in Windows 10:
- Google Chrome : At the security level, it is highly competitive. Since it is free of threats, it allows browsing in incognito mode, its updates are automatic and it adds extra protection with a sandboxing function.
- Mozilla Firefox : By nature, this web browser has optimized security functions, among which Linux Sandboxing stands out. Added to that, it has an improved control center and provides tracking protection.
- Microsoft Edge : It is characterized by offering private and secure browsing in a relevant way. Assessing that, it is capable of detecting malicious web pages and does not have economic income from selling ads to third parties.
- Opera : Luckily, it has a built-in ad blocker that increases user privacy. Apart from that, it offers a great quality VPN at no cost.
- Tor : Without a doubt, it is another of the most secure and private web browsers that exist so far. Since it allows users to remain anonymous while browsing the Internet and thus does not put their identity at risk.
On the other hand, if you want to download any of these solutions on your computer, it is best to proceed to download the installation file on your PC through the official website . Then, click on “Run” to start the installation and once the process is complete, you can proceed to set it as the default browser .
Another element of great relevance to acquire greater protection in Windows 10, refers to the VPN. Which are defined as a service that is responsible for protecting the data of its users online, against unreliable Internet users and even government surveillance. So, mainly, they manage to hide your identity online and encrypt your traffic so that your fingerprints cannot be traced on the network, thanks to the fact that they do not show the IP address of the users .
Apart from that, VPN services take care of securing your online connections so that they cannot strip your data based on bank accounts, credit cards and login credentials. They can also bypass firewalls and offer secure torrenting . Luckily, from your Windows 10 computer, it is possible to connect to a Virtual Private Network (VPN) for free, either for personal use or for work purposes.
For which, it will be necessary that you create your VPN profile correctly and proceed to connect to one of them, as follows:
Create VPN profile on W10
- Choose the Start button and click “Settings” (the gear icon located on the left side).
- Next, select the option “Internet and network”, where you will find the option “VPN” in the left sidebar.
- Next, click on “Add a VPN connection” to start selecting “Windows (integrated)” in the VPN Provider section.
- After that, in Connection name, enter a name that you can easily recognize. Which will be the identification of your VPN connection when you connect to it.
- Then proceed to write the address of the VPN server, through the box “Server name or address” .
- In “VPN type”, you have to choose the kind of VPN connection you want to create. For this, it is valuable that I research what type of VPN connection you need to use personally or in your company.
- Now, it’s time to select the type of login information or credentials that you prefer to use. This, through “Type of login information” .
- Done all of the above, you can click on “Save” .
Connect to a VPN
- After having your VPN profile, go to the taskbar and click on the Network icon .
- Second, proceed to choose the VPN connection you want to use.
- Next, if the Connect button is at the bottom of the VPN in question, just click on it .
- If the VPN section opens in configuration, you just have to select said VPN and then click on “Connect” .
- On the other hand, if instead of the above, you are asked for your login username and password, you must enter these details .
- When you carry out any of the actions mentioned above, the VPN will be shown in the “Connected” state and thus, it only remains to start using it.
After installing your preferred secure web browser and activating a VPN in Windows 10, it is time to proceed to open the websites you need to start your browsing experience .
Which, thanks to the tools detailed above, will be much more secure and will avoid endangering your integrity due to the different vulnerabilities that are known. In this case, said operating system gives you the possibility to schedule the opening of your web page automatically, in order to acquire the highest possible productivity.
If you want to make use of this functionality, it is best to proceed through the famous Windows 10 Task Scheduler and here, we show you how:
- First of all, from the OS search engine, type “Task Scheduler” and enter that application where you will find several options.
- After that, in the application window, go to the section that says “Actions” and in the menu it contains, click on “Create task …” .
- Third, from the next window, you have to define several parameters such as : Name and description of the task to be scheduled, security options to set the time to execute the task and compatibility settings.
- Now, click on the “Triggers” tab and choose the “New” button to set the frequency with which you want to execute the action. So, click OK.
- Next, click on the “Actions” tab . There, click on “New” and choose “Start a program” to enter the path of the browser to run in the “Program or script” field . To click on OK.
- In the “Conditions” tab , you have the possibility to define parameters related to the state of the computer. That way, you can customize the task.
- Next, from the “Configuration” tab , proceed to adjust values associated with the action to be executed.
- Finally, click “OK” to apply and save all the changes made. Thus, it is time to check its correct operation and open the website.
Finally, in case you need to download content through a website, you can do so freely as long as you use your trusted web browser and have activated the VPN that you configured on your PC, prior to this. Taking into account that, with both elements, you can obtain an extra layer of security to avoid contracting viruses or computer threats when downloading any content (images, videos, documents, applications, etc.).
At this point, it is recommended to use a web browser that has the ability to verify whether the download in question is based on malicious software or, indeed, will be harmful to both the PC and the user . Taking into account that, most of the browsers recommended above, manage to identify any suspicious download to warn the user with notifications .
Tips for browsing the Internet safely and taking care of your privacy
In addition to implementing the solutions that Windows 10 supports, it is also valuable to put into practice other recommendations that will help you obtain much more security, privacy and confidentiality on the Internet when navigating in the online environment .
These recommendations, we explain them below, by way of advice:
Use strong passwords
In order to avoid phishing or any threat based on phishing, it is essential to create strong passwords and take care of them at all times . Since, during the online experience, one of the most vulnerable points of all consists of passwords and, therefore, experts recommend using keys with an optimal level of encryption .
To do this, choose to create a unique and compl