Navigating Google Chrome can become a nightmare due to the presence of aggressive and malicious advertising, with pop-ups that cannot be closed or ads that consume time and resources. Although many web pages are financed through advertising, invasive ones are a nuisance.
This is where the need arises to remove advertising in Google Chrome, to ensure a more enjoyable browsing experience. Next, you will learn how to configure your computer and Android device to block irritating ads.
There are two basic methods to remove Chrome ads on PC. One is by configuring the browser and the other by installing an ad blocker as a plug-in.
One way to remove ads from Google Chrome is by installing an ad blocker. The Chrome Web Store offers several extensions for handling pop-ups and unwanted ads. Among which are: Adblock, Adblock Plus, AdGuard, AdLock, Ghostery, AdtBlocker, among other options.
To install any of these extensions, follow the steps below:
- Open Google Chrome.
- Go to the Chrome Web Store page.
- On the Chrome Web Store page, in the “Search in store” box, type: ad blocker and press the enter key. You can also use thislink for it.
- Locate AdBlock and select ” Add to Chrome.”
- Confirm the installation by selecting the ” Add extension ” button, and wait for the installation to be carried out.
- A notice appears stating that the extension is installed.
- AdBlock will automatically start blocking annoying ads.
From the Chrome extensions page you can deactivate / activate it, get installation details and remove it.
Performing these actions from settings consists of disabling the option that allows pop-ups and redirects, as well as disabling the option that allows ads. This will help to control the content that the pages visited can show you. You can configure your equipment as follows:
- Open Google Chrome and select the three vertical dots on the top right.
- From the drop down menu, select the “Configuration” option .
- In the Chrome Settings window, select the category “Privacy and security” in the column on the left.
- In the right pane, select the “Website Settings” option .
- In the displayed list, select “Pop-ups and redirects.”
- Repeat the step in the “Ads” categories.
- In both, it disables the button to change from ” Allowed” to “Blocked (recommended)”.
- In this way, through the Chrome settings, the ads are blocked.
In the windows of both options, it is possible to include the exceptions of the blocking. Thus, you can manage the list of websites on which pop-up windows are allowed to appear, without being taken as ads by Chrome.
From the cellphone
Eliminating annoying advertising or those invasive ads that alter navigation from your mobile device is possible. The steps explained below apply to Android and iOS devices.
Setting up Chrome
To remove ads by setting up Chrome from your mobile, disable Pop-ups and Ads. To do this, follow the steps below:
- Open the Google Chrome app on your device.
- At the top right, locate the menu (represented by the three vertical dots) and press it.
- Select the “Settings” option from the drop down menu.
- Scroll down to “Advanced Settings” and select the “Site Settings” option from the drop down menu.
- Select the option “Pop-ups and redirects.”
- Block pop-ups by deactivating the button on the right to change from “Allowed” to ” Block pop-ups and redirects on sites (recommended)”.
- Returns to the previous menu.
- Select the ” Ads ” option .
- Block ads by deactivating the button on the right to change from “Allowed” to ” Block ads from sites displaying intrusive or deceptive ads.”
- Your settings should be like this so that pop-ups and ads are blocked.
Installing Ad Blocker
Another alternative to removing ads is to install an ad blocker as a Chrome plug-in. There are several installable options from the Play Store or the App Store, among them the most popular are: Adblocker Browser, Adblock, AdGuard, Adblock Browser, among other applications. For this you must:
- Open the Store app.
- In the app search, write: “block advertising. “
- Select the ad blocker compatible with Chrome.
- Press ” Install ” to download the application.
- Press ” Open ” to run the program.
- Accept the proposed changes.
- The notice that the application is active appears.
Some of the most recommended ad blockers are: