Most of the applications and Internet sites that protect personal information, request a password. There are so many data that must be taken into account, that it becomes impossible to remember them mentally. Some browsers have the option to save passwords and access data, but if we need to update it or if for some reason we must uninstall it, how can we do to protect said information?
Google Chrome has the option to import or export your stored passwords. In this way, you will not have to worry about losing your keys due to a system failure. It will also not be a problem to transfer the passwords from one device to another since, following the steps mentioned, you will be able to achieve it.
How to export and import passwords from PC
Here’s how to export your Google passwords through Chrome settings. Some of these methods can also be used in other browsers.
The function to import passwords to Chrome is disabled by default. This activity cannot be enabled from the settings panel, unless you correctly follow the following steps:
- To activate this function, you must go to the “Flags” section, for this, enter the following address in the Google Chrome navigation bar: chrome: // flags / # PasswordImport
- Chrome’s advanced settings will open, highlighting in yellow an option called “Password import”. Note: You will notice that on the right there are a series of drop-downs that by default are marked by “Default”.
- Click on the drop-down menu under “Password import” and choose the “Enabled” option .
- The browser will ask you to restart, for this you must click on the “Relaunch” option .
Once the “Flags” option is activated, you can proceed normally.
Note: Once you grant the permissions to Chrome, you must follow the following steps to import your passwords already saved in the browser.
- Click on the three dots icon in the upper right corner of the screen.
- In the drop-down menu, locate and press the “Settings” option .
- Inside the tab, locate the “Autocomplete” category and click on the “Passwords” option .
- In this settings window, you must click on the icon with three dots located to the right of “Saved passwords”.
- Select the “Import” option .
- The browser will open a pop-up window in which you must locate the file “.csv” which is the extension in which Google Chrome saves the passwords.
- When you select it, press the “Open” button to complete the process.
To export keys or passwords from any browser to Chrome, previously it could be done from the Flags section. But in recent versions this option has been disabled. Now it’s a simpler task, which will take you no more than a few minutes to complete. For this, you just have to follow the steps below:
- Click on the icon with the three dots located in the upper right corner of the screen.
- In that menu, locate the option ” Settings” and click.
- Inside the tab, locate the “Autocomplete” category and click on the “Saved Passwords” option .
- Once you are at this address, click on the
font style=”vertical-align: inherit;”>icon with the three dots located to the right of “Saved passwords” and select the option “Export passwords …”
- Click on the option “Export passwords …” as shown in the image.
- Choose in which folder you want to save the “.csv” file that will be generated with all the Google Chrome passwords. After that, press “Save”.
It is important that you be careful, since the file can be seen by any user because it will not be encrypted.
Import and export passwords from the cell phone
Just like you do from the browser, you can also manage your passwords through your mobile device. Although there are programs that help you with the management of your keys, currently they do not import or export passwords in the appropriate way as the same Chrome browser does. Next, it will be detailed how to export your passwords from the mobile version.
Through the settings of the Chrome application you can manage all your passwords. It should be noted that this is only possible to export your keys.
- Select in the upper right part the three points and then the option ” Configuration”.
- Click on the settings symbol .
- Then select the ” Export ” button. Note: A message will open that will notify you that your passwords will be downloaded in a text file and, everyone who has access to it, will be able to see your passwords or passwords.
- If you agree, press the Export option .
- To finish the process you must enter your email and personal access code.
Reasons to import and export passwords
Without a doubt, there are several reasons why exporting and importing your passwords are very useful. Some of the most common reasons are as follows:
- You can store your passwords in different browsers and use them without worrying about remembering your password.
- This type of procedure is compatible with various browsers.
- It can help you in case you uninstall your preferred browser by mistake.
- It will be useful if you have to manage multiple accounts and have a bad memory.