As users of a shared computer, on many occasions it is necessary to block pages or portals on the Internet to protect children and even young people from certain types of content, such as adult sites. However, how can access to websites be restricted? Well, there are many ways to do it.
You can block pages or websites from the options menu of Google Chrome or using the computer settings with the control panel. In the same way, you can use some free license software on your computer that allows you to carry out these types of actions.
Lock pages on PC
The blocking web pages on your PC, allows you to limit access to sites with malicious or unwanted content on your computer, such as download portals with security certificates unproven.
To block websites from computer functions there are four different methods you can use:
The add-ons or extensions for the browser are tools that allow you to more easily manage the different functions of the browser. There are some that you can add to Google Chrome to block children’s access to websites at home.
It is designed to block web pages and prevent any stranger or family member from accessing any inappropriate website. Its functions include:
- Temporary blocking of websites : This allows you to decide how long access to any portal will be restricted.
- Black list : It consists of adding all the portals that you want to restrict to a list from which Chrome will prevent their access.
- Keyword restriction : Blocksite has a function of blocking or restricting by keywords or search intentions. This allows the plugin or extension to prevent access to websites with content similar to what you initially blocked.
As an added bonus, Blocksite can be synced with all your devices, so that you can block websites on phones and Tablets. To install Blocksite in your browser, use the search engine with the term “Blocksite” and click on the first option in the list. Following this, you must follow these steps:
- Click on ” Add to Chrome “.
- Later ” Add extension “.
- Finally, click on the .exe file once the download is finished.
- Complete the Blocksite installation by following the steps in the installer and you can start blocking Chrome web pages with ease.
This add-on allows you to block web pages from a black list, where you add those sites to which you want to prevent access. In the same way, this extension gives you the facility to perform a Google search and restrict the portal directly from the results obtained.
Thanks to the aforementioned, the page will disappear as a suggestion in the browser even when keywords or search terms related to the web that you blocked are entered.
Adding Ublacklist to the browser is very simple, you just have to follow the previous steps, access the web, click ” Add to Chrome “, ” Add the extension “, wait for the download to finish and finally run the installation.
It is an extension created to block websites for set periods of time. Allows you to add the sites you want to hide to the blacklist. In addition, StayFocusd has a built-in function called “The Nuclear Option”, which offers the facility to enable all restrictions for a specified duration, with the push of a button.
It is worth mentioning that this blocking can be as broad or limited as you decide, allowing even similar domains to be blocked. Its installation is quick and easy as with the two previous plugins.
Blocking web pages from the PC settings is a process that is carried out with the implicit tools on the computer. It consists of the creation of a “hosts” file from the notepad, which basically prevents children from accessing highly graphic content, without the need to install an external program or add-on in the browser.
This method is compatible with different Operating Systems, from Windows XP to Android, including Mac OS and iOS. Follow these steps to block unwanted websites from your computer’s settings:
- Display the start menu of your computer.
- Locate the ” Notepad ” and right click on the application icon. Then click ” Run as administrator “.
- Once inside the notepad, press file> open.
- In the next window, you should change the search method from “Text documents (* .txt) to” All files “.
- Following the path Local Disk C:> Windows> system32> drivers> etc and locate the ” hosts ” file .
- Right click on the file and select ” Properties “. Once inside this window, click on the Security> Edit> Full control> OK section. Confirm once more by pressing ” Yes ” and finally accept one last time. Note : The letter of your local disk may be different from the one mentioned in the instructions. However, the steps to follow are the same.
- You will be shown a text file where you must insert the following information at the end of the document: ” 127.0.0.1 ( page you want to block )”. Example: 127.0.0.1 www.youtube.com
- Finally, press ” File ” and select ” Save.”
In this way, you will have managed to block any page you want. It is important to note that you can add different web addresses to restrict access simultaneously.
Using external programs
If you consider that the hosts file method is very complicated, you can always try to download a program that allows you to block internet sites. Its functions are exactly the same as any add-on or extension in the browser, so preventing visits to certain specific pages is very simple.
It is a very useful tool not only to block web content, but to monitor the activity of the different computers that work at home or in the office. It is configured by default to block inappropriate content or +18 on any internet page.
In the same way, it allows customization in different ways, through the creation of a black list where you can include all the portals that you consider inappropriate or any other that is necessary, such as Facebook, in work environments.
However, HomeGuard is not free, it requires the purchase of a license to use it. However, you have a 15-day free trial in which you can use the program and check whether or not it is what you really need.
It is designed to effectively protect your family’s activity on the internet, especially that of the little ones. Qustodio allows you to take care of your children from the risks of the web, from cyberbullying to pedophiles present on social networks and other online portals.
It adapts easily to different devices and allows setting time limits for computer use, avoiding Internet addictions. The only downside that could be mentioned is that Qustodio requires the use of memberships to run.
It is a free software that allows the instant blocking of any site on the Internet, you only need to install and run the application to restrict the entry of inappropriate content on your computer or any other device in the home.
The best thing about Website Blocker is that it is free to use, however it works only on Windows 8.1 (so far). It incorporates the function of separating adult pages, annoying and invasive advertisements, pirate download sites, etc.
From the equipment control panel
Another simple way to block pages or websites in Google Chrome is through the control panel of your PC. There is a direct way that you can apply to monitor and block your children’s access to certain Internet pages. Learn how to do it in a few easy steps.
Some computers with Windows Operating System have included a protection method called “Child Protection”. This allows you to obtain detailed information about the activity of children on the computer and also what they do when they are online.
Likewise, it gives you the option of setting time limits or restrictions on certain computer applications, in order to protect the psychological integrity of your little ones. To carry out child protection in Windows, you must:
- Access the control panel from the start menu of your computer.
- Click on ” Child Protection “.
Note : In case the control panel menu is divided by categories, locate the option ” View by ” or ” View “, depending on how it appears on your computer. ” Click on large or classic icons ” and you will quickly find the option you are looking for.
- In the next window, you will be shown the user accounts in which you require child protection, click on the one you want to protect.
- Press ” Create a password “.
- You will be asked to fill in the information in three boxes: password, password confirmation, and password hint (this will help you remember what it is about).
- Finally click ” create password “.
In this way you can limit access to computer functions since only you and the person you want will know the password.
Block pages on cell phone
Many times it is necessary to censor content on mobile devices, since some people tend to use these devices to do on them what they are not allowed on the computer. In addition, if your children have Internet access from the phone, it is necessary to restrict the use of the web on this type of equipment.
Although the Google Chrome browser allows blocking of pop-up windows, annoying advertisements and the request to play multimedia content from the settings menu, it does not have the function of blocking websites directly. However, there are alternatives that you can use for this task, such as the use of applications available in the Play Store.
Many of these have functions that range from setting time limits for internet use, to blocking websites to protect the user.
Although the appearance of Google Chrome is basically the same on the mobile device and on the PC, plugins or extensions that allow blocking websites cannot be installed in the phone version . However, there are certain applications that you can use on your Android to achieve this.
ES File Explorer
It is an application that allows you to modify the ” hosts ” file located in the memory of the Android terminal. In this way, it is possible to restrict access to web pages with malicious files or inappropriate content. It is installed on the phone like any other app and from its interface you proceed to modify the document in the same way as you would on the PC.
To block websites with ES File Explorer from your Android, you must:
- Download and install ES File Explorer on the device where you want to restrict access to websites.
- Access the Application.
- Open the side menu and select the “Local” section. Then click on the ” Device ” option .
- Locate the folder ” etc ” in the available options.
- The contents of the folder will be shown, select the file ” hosts “.
- It will ask you how you want to open it, press ” Text “. In the next pop-up window, select “ ES text editor ”.
- A document with 2 lines of text will open, click on ” edit ” and continue to write the following content: 127.0.0.1 (website). Therefore, if it is Facebook, it should be as follows: 127.0.0.1 www.facebook.com.
- Press ” return ” on your mobile’s touch keyboard and confirm ” YES ” when asked if you want to keep the changes.
It is the application of the renowned Google Chrome plugin to block websites. You can quickly download it from the Play Store and start censoring any page that you don’t want anyone to access from your device. It is useful to maintain control of cell phone use in minors.
To block websites in Blocksite you must:
- Download and install the App on your phone.
- Access Blocksite.
- Click on the ( + ) button located at the bottom right of the screen.
- Click on the option ” Search for a keyword, a site or … “
- Write the web address or related search terms in the search field of the App. Subsequently, you must click on the symbol (+) of each result to add it to the list of restricted sites.
- When you complete the block list, press the icon (✅) located at the top of the screen.
It is worth mentioning that, when you enter this app, it will offer you different recommendations of possible pages that you want to block.
It is a browser similar to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox that can be installed on Android devices, since it is fully compatible with this Operating System. Through SafeBrowser, you can block any website that you consider harmful to your family or even to the phone itself.
You can download it from the Play Store or any other alternative app store. Once installed on the device, you must log in with your Gmail account to start restricting websites.
It is important to mention that, after downloading from Play Store, you will have a 15-day license. Therefore, upon expiration of this period, you must purchase the user license. Although the application by itself is quite complete, if you want full control over the use of certain applications on your children’s device, you can download Kids Place – Parental control and children mode.
This is an additional complement to SafeBrowser that the same application offers you to increase the level of protection on children’s mobile devices. To block any portal or Internet search method with SafeBrowser, you must:
- Download the App from the Market Place of your choice.
- Access SafeBrowser on your device.
- You will be shown a window that looks similar to your default browser, Google Chrome.
- Click on the side menu icon (the 3 dots located in the upper right part of the screen).
- Press ” Settings “.
- Select ” Manage web content filters.”
- In the next window, repeat the previous step and click on the indicated option.
- You will access a new window where you will be asked to configure the search filter, fill in this information according to your criteria and click ” Accept “.
Block websites on Mac OS
Being able to block websites on Apple computers or devices is just as simple as on the Windows system. Mac OS has different methods that you can use to achieve the restriction you want, either through parental control, using the hosts file or using blockers installed in the browser.
With the hosts file
As with Windows computers, in Mac OS you can use the hosts file to block websites of dubious origin. For this you will have to:
- Open the Mac utilities menu and click on the ” terminal ” section.
- Write ” sudo / bin / cp / etc / hosts / etc / hosts-original ” (without quotes) inside the terminal window.
Note : If you have an administrator password, you may be asked to enter it before you can continue.
- At the end of the text, locate the IP address of your Mac (127.0.0.1) and write the web address you want to block, leaving a space between one and the other. Example: 127.0.0.1 www.twitter.com
Note: You must enter the IP as many times as pages you want to block.
- When you are absolutely sure that you are done with the list of censored pages on your Mac, press the ” Control + Q ” keys simultaneously to save the changes.
Note: You may need to restart your computer to fully observe the system changes.
Using Mac parental controls
This is probably the easiest way to block web content on your computer, to run parental control on Mac, you will only have to:
- Display the Apple menu from the icon located in the upper left part of the screen.
- Select “System Preferences “.
- Select ” Users and Groups ” and then the ” + ” sign located in the lower left corner.
- Press ” Parental Control Management ” to allow control of this function in the group.
- Complete the requested information (child’s age, full name, username, etc.)
- Go back to the system prefe