When you browse on your cell phone or PC, light colors, apart from depleting the battery life, can cause damage to your eyes. Continuous use of these devices at night causes the brain to activate and this disrupts the normal sleep cycle. That is why, Google Chrome, has made possible a dark mode to solve these problems.
Known by many as “dark mode” or “dark mode” in Spanish, this presentation of the graphical interface of electronic devices is becoming more popular every day. Activate dark mode in Google Chrome, it is available for Android, iOS devices (iPad and iPhone), as well as on PC and Mac computers .
The dark mode for Google Chrome is configurable on PC with Windows 10 Operating System and later versions. However, there are ways to force dark mode for almost any version of Windows.
Dark Mode via URL
To enable dark mode via URL, you must first make sure the latest version of Chrome is installed. Simply, go to the Chrome application, click on the three-dot icon, select Settings, and then Chrome Information. If it says new version available, update it, reboot and you’re done. If it says “Google Chrome is up to date,” you’re good to go.
To activate dark mode, open Chrome and follow these steps:
- Place your cursor in the address bar, type: chrome: // flags / # enable-force-dark, and hit the enter key.
- Locate the option “ Force Dark Mode for Web Contents ”, ( Force Dark Mode for Web Contents ) in the Settings Menu.
- Display the list of options, in the blue box on the right, and select Enabled.
- Restart the browser for the changes to take effect, pressing ” Relaunch “.
In the list of options displayed, there are other alternatives that you can try and thus select the combination that you like best to navigate. When you want to go back to the original settings, just repeat the previous steps and select Disabled. Remember to restart Chrome every time you apply an option, to activate the changes.
Through Windows 10 settings
Another way to use Google Chrome in dark mode is to activate it from Windows. To do this, follow the steps below:
- In Windows 10, open the “Windows Settings” panel .
- Select the “Personalization” category .
- From the menu on the left side, select the “Colors” option .
- In the right panel, choose the accent color for the wallpaper. This color is the one that will be given to buttons, highlighted texts and tiles in the start menu.
- At the bottom, in the same right panel, locate the ” Choose the application mode ” section, and select the ” Dark ” option .
Automatically, the background color is now black. Change the tone of emphasis and try various combinations, until you find the one you like best. Use the sample preview, located at the top of the panel, so you don’t have to exit every time you change colors. To reverse the activation, just repeat the process and, this time, select the “Clear” option.
Dark Mode from any Windows
If activating from Windows 10 doesn’t work automatically with Google Chrome, or you have an older version of Windows, you can force dark mode like this:
- Locate the Chrome shortcut on the Windows desktop, right click on it.
- In the displayed window, select ” Properties”.
- In the “Properties” window, locate the ” Destination ” field .
- Place your cursor at the end of the line and type: ” –force-dark-mode ” (without quotes).
- Select ” Apply “.
- Choose the ” OK ” option .
To make these changes you require administrator permissions on Windows. Open Chrome from the shortcut you modified and you will get dark mode for browsing. To replicate the changes across all hits to Chrome, unpin and re-pin the file to the start menu and taskbar. Thus, when you open Chrome from any Windows access, the dark mode should appear.
Applying a Dark Theme in Google Chrome
An easier way to darken Chrome is by applying a dark theme from the Web Store. To do this, you must follow the following indications:
- Open Google Chrome and select the settings button (the three vertical dots), top right.
- Select the ” Settings ” option from the drop down menu.
- Once in the Chrome Settings window, select the “Appearance” category in the column on the left.
- Then choose the option “Themes” in the right panel, this will take you directly to the Chrome Web Store.
- Select ” Just Black “, considered the new official dark theme.
- The theme specification screen will appear, click the ” Add to Chrome ” button to install it.
- The process may take a few seconds, just wait for it to finish.
The Chrome Web Store offers you the Chrome team themes created for Google. There you can choose between different dark themes available, choose the one you like the most. You can always revert the changes by repeating the previous steps and selecting the “Themes” option; “Reset to default”.
From the cellphone
The dark mode feature on computers is referred to as “dark theme” on mobile devices. The dark theme in Google Chrome works on most smartphones.
The dark theme is available on Android 5 and later systems, to enable it, follow the steps below:
- Open the Google Chrome app on your Android device.
- Locate the three points at the top right and click on them.
- Select the ” Settings ” option from the drop down menu.
- Select the option ” Themes ” in the drop down menu.
- Select ” Dark.”
It may happen that the “Dark” option does not appear. In that case, you must update the Google application to a more updated version and repeat the process. To return to clear mode, go through the process again and select it from the menu.
The procedure to activate the dark mode in iOS, and therefore in Google Chrome in this type of device, is extremely simple. You just have to follow the steps mentioned below:
- Go to ” Settings “.
- Then select ” Display and brightness “.
- Select the ” Dark ” option to activate dark mode on your device.
Note : In some cases this part may appear in English on your device, so the last option will be “Dark” and not “Dark”, as shown in the following image:
Advantages of dark mode in Google Chrome
Although few, the reasons that drive to activate the dark mode in Google Chrome are very important. Thus, during dark mode operation, the browser uses black tones, this means that fewer pixels turn on and emit less light. Obviously, when they are off they do not consume energy.
Although some take the use of dark mode as a fashion, it is proven that having your eyes fixed on the computer screen has a negative effect on visual ability. This happens both at the cognitive level, with regard to information processing, and at the physical level of the person.
Now, although there is no serious scientific study that shows that exposure to electronic screens produces permanent damage, it is true that prolonged exposure causes visual fatigue, headache and dry eyes. These symp
oms decrease, among other practices, if the contrast and brightness of the screen are lowered.
Therefore, the use of dark mode in Google Chrome benefits us, in that:
- Reduces visual fatigue : This is because less light reaches the eyeball.
- Preserves visual health : A less amount of light, less fatigue and dryness of the eye.
- Improves sleep quality : Dark mode avoids the so-called “blue light” that negatively affects sleep.
- Power saving : By using less light on the screen, the battery consumption is reduced, which contributes to its saving.
- Screen conservation : Not having to turn on a pixel helps to preserve it, increasing its useful life.