As they move the updates of the operating systems of Microsoft, more features are added, others are eliminated and move some place. In this way, when changing the version of Windows it is possible that we lose sight of them.
This is the particular case of the Windows 10 Library . It was present in versions 7, 8 and 8.1 . Although it is also available in the latter , it is hidden or disabled by default.
To learn more about this utility, how to activate it and how to use it correctly, we invite you to read the following post.
What is the W10 File Library and what kinds of documents are stored in it?
It is a very useful tool for both organized people and those who are a bit messy . This is because with it you will be able to locate your files quickly and easily. The library is a file that contains virtual libraries . That is, all the elements that we will find in it are rather links or links and not documents themselves (they do not take up additional space on the disk in a substantial way).
This service is very useful to manage content by characteristics and optimize searches. Strictly speaking, the class of documents that this file stores is that of links. They can be categorized into sub libraries . The advantages of the latter are that we can personalize them with arbitrary names and icons . In addition, to optimize them for search by the characteristics of their content.
Another advantage of using this tool is that we will have documents from different locations on the disk in one place . Without the need to create individual shortcuts. To this is added the benefit that each time files are added to the original file, the library will be updated automatically . Another one of the positive qualities is that the same location can appear in two or more libraries at the same time .
For example, if we have the category “Wallpapers”, “HD images” and “Animals”, a file that has these characteristics can be linked to all three. In the same way, each “virtual library” is capable of containing several real file addresses . And in turn other libraries . In this way, nothing prevents us from indexing the content manually.
Learn step by step how to access and navigate the Windows 10 file library
Now that you know the advantages of using the Windows 10 file library, we can start using it . Next, we will see how to do it correctly .
Follow these steps:
- The first thing we must do is make sure that this utility is visible in the Windows exploration panel . If not, open the browser from the “start menu” or press “Windows Button + E” .
- Select the “View” tab and then display the “Navigation Panel” menu . Both are in the upper right corner of the window.
- Choose “Show Libraries . ” From that moment on you will be able to see a new icon in the side navigation panel .
- Enter it. You will see six default categories within.
- “Camera album” containing images of the camera . If your computer doesn’t have one, it will have empty content.
- “Documents” that links the files in the location C: \ Users \ Administrator \ Documents .
- “Saved Pictures”, this library contains a link to the “Saved Pictures” file on the main disk.
- The same happens with the remaining “Images”, “Music” and “Videos” .
But what if we need to create our own library and / or add links to other locations .
Well, it is possible and easily with the following method:
- To create a new library, go to the “Home” tab .
- Within this menu, display “New item” and click on “Library” . You can also do it from the right mouse button options “New” .
- After the previous step, a new element will appear, which you must name .
- Open this new library and press “Include a folder” .
- Browse and select the file you want to add with Windows Explorer . To finish, press “Include folder” .
- If you want to add more locations, within this library, go to the “Library Tools” tab and select “Manage Library” .
- Within the pop-up window, choose “Add” and repeat the above process.
- As we mentioned before, browsing the content of your computer in this way has its advantages. One of them is to use custom icons for each library.
- To achieve this, right-click on the library icon and choose “Properties . “
- Press “Change Library Icon” and choose between the established Windows designs . Or add a custom one as we show in this post: Custom Icons
Within this window, it is also possible to adjust the library according to the content . Do this by displaying the “Optimize this library for:” menu and choosing the type of elements it contains. This modification improves the speed at which Windows finds the files with the search engine . Also, change the default icon size .