Including charts in a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet is a good idea to expose data that is often not so easy to highlight with a simple reading.
This is why Excel has different tools that allow you to generate illustrations quickly and with just a few steps. There are outline functions and also smart graphics, called SmartArt.
In this post we will show you all the styles that you can use in these types of graphs. We will also show you the steps you should do when you want to include a SmartArt . Take a look at all the tips that we will give you.
What is a SmartArt and what is it for in Microsoft Excel?
SmartArt is a smart tool that allows you to insert graphics into a Microsoft Excel document . In this way, these illustrations can be modified in a simple way, since elements can be incorporated or eliminated and the drawing will be rearranged automatically.
In addition, SmartArt graphics have preset designs, so the user only has to fill in the texts and modify small details to suit the needs.
What are all the SmartArt that we can insert in Excel and when is it convenient to do it?
A SmartArt graphic can be inserted into an Excel document when it is not related to data that may be modified in the future .
That is, it is not the same to use this smart illustration tool to choose graphics predesigned by the system (for example, pie or histograms). This is because the latter have the ability to vary automatically, according to the edition made at any time in the source data.
Also, when you have to represent different sizes of areas in a graphic, for example, participation types in percentages, with SmartArt you will not be able to do this type of design . This is because all the elements that make up a smart chart are the same size.
The different SmartArt that can be inserted in Excel are the following:
- Lists: you can find graphs that are characterized by showing ideas in blocks that are not sequential. This makes it possible to improve the reader’s display considerably.
- Processes: the idea of these designs is that they can expose information in a sequential order so that the data can establish a certain process.
- Cycles: in this case the information has the peculiarity of being exposed without a beginning or an end. They can be sequential or linear.
- Hierarchy: when smart graphics are needed to demonstrate progression at different phase levels, this type of SmartArt can be used. You can find horizontal and vertical graphics.
- Relationship: it is ideal to expose concepts that can be linked or that are opposite to each other. Additionally, group styles can be used to present ideas that are interconnected.
- Matrix: the graphs that you will find in this group show relationships established between the data.
- Pyramid – These smart charts are useful for demonstrating hierarchical relationships between ideas or processes. They can be from highest to lowest or vice versa.
- Image – This is one of the largest groups within SmartArt graphics. You can find illustrations that are related to columns, cycles, hierarchy and other topics. It is a representation of different types of processes, both horizontal and vertical.
SmartArt or Outline When is it more convenient to use one or the other?
As we mentioned before, it is convenient to use a SmartArt graphic if it is related to source data that will not have to be modified . Or, when you need to expose ideas without having the need for them to be linked to editable sources.
In the event of having to represent by means of a graphic information, whether numerical or text, that can be modified several times, it is advisable to use schematic graphics . This will cause them to be edited automatically and therefore you are not worried about the correctness.
Learn step by step how to insert a SmartArt in Microsoft Excel quickly and easily
To insert a SmartArt in an Excel spreadsheet you will have to follow this guide:
- Go to the “Insert” tab and then click on the “Illustrations” tool .
- Select the “SmartArt” function .
- You will see a pop-up window with all the smart graphics that you can choose, which will be divided into categories. If you want to draw cycles, so you must click on the function that bears that name.
- Choose the painting that you like the most by clicking on it.
- Then click on “Accept” .
- Edit the chart in the way that suits you best.