Computers and electronic devices evolve day by day. Storage capacity, connectivity, and processing speed advance as a new model is released. Today the PC allows us to perform different tasks simultaneously . This process requires the existence of tools to organize them .
Microsoft and Windows 10 operating system provide the possibility of ordering the work windows in an efficient and simple way to visualize . Although this application comes by default, at first it appears to be difficult to find.
At the same time, being a novelty in their products, it can also be unintuitive . In this post we will explain how to use the function correctly and organize your work windows in a simple way.
What is Multitasking Mode in Windows 10 and what is it for on my computer?
Multitasking mode It is a tool that allows us to organize our workspace on one or more desks. Different windows can coexist within these work tables. This feature also provides the ability to choose the size that each program will share on the screen.
Advantages of using Windows 10 in Multitasking Mode What are the biggest benefits?
If you are a multifunctional worker and you use all kinds of programs in your daily work, this mode is for you. When your passion is video games and at the same time you need to have all your university files organized , multitasking can offer you a practical way to keep all your files and shortcuts separate and organized.
If you work with your laptop and use it both in the office and at home, you can separate work files from family photos and videos on different desks .
The main benefits of ordering your windows with Windows 10 multitasking mode are:
- You can have multiple programs in view at the same time. This will make it unnecessary to search for them on the taskbar.
- You have the ability to pin and order each program on the screen.
- If you have countless shortcuts, files and applications on your desktop, this function will allow you to organize them. The possibility of adding one or more desktops will help you separate all your links as appropriate.
Steps to activate and configure multitasking mode to use all its functions
Multitasking mode is enabled by default. However, it may happen that we have deleted your shortcut or that through formatting we have deactivated this option. Next, we will show you how to activate and configure this good tool correctly .
The multitasking or task view button is almost always located to the right of the search box on the taskbar . If it is not found in that place, it is likely that we will have to activate it manually.
To do this you must follow the following steps:
- Right-click on the taskbar that is usually found at the bottom of the screen.
- Check the button show task view button.
- Once this is done, you can access the “multitasking” view from the new icon on the taskbar or on the keyboard, by pressing the “start” button (usually symbolized by the Windows icon) plus the tab (Tab) key.
Enter the Windows menu by pressing the start button . It is located in the lower left corner of the screen or on the keyboard between the Ctrl and Alt buttons.
- Look for the settings icon above the power button. The first is shaped like a gear.
- A new window will open in which we must choose “System”.
- Once there we will choose the multitasking option that is in the sidebar.
In this submenu we can configure this mode as it is most comfortable for us. We will show you what function each option fulfills:
- “Dock windows”. Basically it allows the visualization of several windows in parallel. Activating this option we will only have to drag a window to one edge or another of the screen and it will be docked.
- “When you dock a window, it automatically adjusts to take up the available space.” Activating this option the second window that we select after docking the first one, will adjust its size to the space available on the screen.
- “When I dock a window, show what I can dock next to it.” Carrying out the first step, the windows available to be placed in parallel will appear in the space to be occupied.
- “When resizing a docked window, resize the adjacent docked window at the same time . ” With this box activated and two windows docked in parallel, when we adjust the width of one, the other will automatically adjust to its new size.
- “Show suggestions in the timeline” this option toggles the possibility that the system shows us a history of programs used in the multitasking menu.
The following options refer to the use of more than one virtual desktop. To add a new desktop we must enter the multitasking function and press “New desktop” . This will create a completely free one of the programs that we have open. In this way we can organize, if we wish, the tools we are using into categories.
Windows offers four ways to display programs when creating a new desktop. They are divided into two categories:
- “The windows that are open are shown in the taskbar.” Here we can choose whether the programs that we are using on the old desktop are shown on the task bar of the new one.
- “Pressing Alt + Tab shows the windows that are open.” Similarly, this option allows you to switch between windows on a desktop or all of them.
If you have two or more monitors installed on your computer, the system considers a single desktop to be what is shown on all screens . In other words, each monitor does not mean a new virtual desktop.
Try using this tool and you will see how your work is made easier by using two or more programs at the same time . Change the different options that multitasking mode offers you, until they fit the way you use Windows.