With Windows 8, Microsoft made a total policy change regarding its update methods . Until then, the Redmond company had always opted for what was known as “Service Pack “, large update packages with which they refined their operating systems, improving their performance, expanding their compatibility and solving all kinds of problems that might arise and will cloud the user experience.
However, they took this all apart and threw it out the window when they released Windows 8.1 . This hotfix is a free update valid for both Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 . Something that is accessible from the operating system’s own store so that anyone can download and install it without further complication. Thus, access is facilitated to a total improvement of the system that even changes its interface.
Despite the facilities provided by the company, many users do not know how to upgrade to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8 for free . For this reason, we have put together this comprehensive guide. With it, you can carry out this update process quickly and easily, you just have to follow the steps that we indicate to proceed and renew your operating system in a matter of minutes.
Steps to follow to update Windows 8 to the new version 8.1
It is a process that is carried out in a short time and that, in addition, can be done in several different ways, although the most common is to resort to the digital store that is available. Here we make clear all the alternatives and the available procedures to carry out this operating system update.
There are two possibilities when it comes to making the leap to update 8.1 of this operating system . If you want to know the steps to follow to install the latest Windows 8 update to the new version 8.1 both automatically and manually, you just have to keep reading and choose any of the two options with the methods that we explain in the following paragraphs.
How to activate Windows 8 automatic updates?
In case you want to activate Windows 8 updates so that the process is automatic and, therefore, the operating system is renewed and makes the leap to version 8.1, better in details, performance and functions, you must follow the steps that we are going to to be explained below point by point:
- Go to the Windows Start menu (bottom left) and right-click on it. In the drop-down menu that appears, you must click on “Control Panel ” to access the computer settings.
- Now, within this panel, you must search among all the sections for the “System and security” section, a category where you can modify the values for automated downloads. A new window will open in front of you.
- Inside this, look for “Windows Update ” and click on it, then click on the “Change settings” section . In this way, you can modify its values to choose the one we are looking for.
- In the settings window that now appears, you should look at the top . In it, the automatic update options appear, being able to choose any of the following :
- “Install updates automatically”
- “Download updates, but let me choose if I want to install them”
- “Check for updates, but let me choose if I want to download and install them”
- “Don’t check for updates.”
- Choose one of the first three (depending on the level of control you want) and you can have the updates installed automatically on your computer. If you choose option 2 or 3, the operating system will ask you every time there is something new to see if you want to install it.
- Without leaving the window, it is also advisable to activate the option “Offer me recommended updates in the same way that I receive important updates” so that Windows also warns you of other revisions that may be of interest to you.
After this, the system will start looking for updates and, among the important ones, there will be the one for W8.1 . Accept if it asks you about its installation and let it take care of the rest of the process in the background. Clever! We will have already taken the step to install this new version of your operating system and we will also be prepared for future upgrades.
How to do it manually?
To upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 manually, the process is somewhat more complicated and requires a bit of preparation. First of all, it is recommended to make a backup copy of the most important files you have, make sure you have 3 GB free space, have an internet connection, install previous updates that are important and, if you are with a laptop, connect it to the power adapter.
If you meet all these requirements, proceed by following all the steps that we will explain below:
- Enter the Windows 8 Start menu (click at the bottom left) and, once in it, go to the “Store “.
- When you are inside it, just look for the update for Windows 8.1 or, if you wish, for Windows 8.1 RT . Select the one you want of the two (in case of doing it from a tablet, better use the RT option) and click on “Download “.
- If you have completed all the steps that we explain before entering the store, the manager will begin to download this patch and proceed with its installation automatically. Otherwise, you will have to meet the demands that appear on the screen (free up space, install important missing updates or even connect the charger, among many others).
Normally Windows Update checks its availability, but if not, you can use one of the following links:
In case there is a failure during the process, you can download the installer again and retry it from the Windows 8 store. When everything has finished, a message will appear indicating that you must restart the computer for all the changes to take effect. Go ahead and wait, as this reboot will take considerably longer due to the fact that the team must apply all the changes in this patch.
When you log back in, you will be in Windows 8.1 . What remains to be done now is to finish making some small configuration adjustments that are indicated on the screen, or that you can even go through quickly using the quick configuration option, and finally, log in to use your computer as usual. .