Although it is true, the PDF format is one of the favorites of online users when sharing any document. This, mainly, due to the great lightness of its size and also due to the reliability it maintains in terms of appearance with the original. Taking into account that it also became an open format and such files are becoming more and more common .
Because of this, these types of documents also have the ability to maintain design integrity, regardless of the device from which it is viewed. Either on a Windows or Mac computer, on Android or iOS devices. Well, for this reason, it is essential to learn to handle a PDF document and thus manage to manage them perfectly.
Thus, one of the major requirements that are presented with these PDF documents is to find a specific word . Either to locate information of interest, confirm a data or simply curious. Even more so, when it comes to long documents. Therefore, in this post we will teach you the steps to take to achieve one or more words in a PDF, easily.
Steps to search and find one or more words within a PDF document
Luckily, the procedures to follow to be able to search and find a word or a phrase in a PDF document are totally simple to carry out and regardless of the device or operating system from which you do it.
Consequently, know below the step by step to carry out to achieve this task without any complication and whatever your case, below, you will find the most effective solution :
Using a key combination for Mac and Windows
Although it is true, when accessing a PDF document and interacting with it, the most widely used tool is Adobe Acrobat Reader . Which is totally free software that, in addition to having a Spanish version, offers a large number of functions to simplify the user experience. Bearing in mind that, it adds a powerful search engine .
In this way, there are several mechanisms to be able to reach the word or phrase you want. Thus, in the first instance, we will focus on how to achieve this from your Windows or Mac computer, only using a combination of keys that the famous software already mentioned supports.
In this sense, let us know the steps to follow to perform a simple search in a PDF document, in the following:
- Once Adobe Acrobat Reader is installed on your computer, proceed to open the PDF document that you want to investigate.
- Now, press the following keys, depending on the operating system you are using:
- In Windows: “Ctrl + F “.
- On Mac: “cmd + F “.
- Upon completing the previous action, the software will show you a search box at the top of the document, on the right hand side.
- With this, you can enter the word you want to locate or the phrase you want to find. Then proceed to click on the “Next ” button .
- At this point, the program will start its search process throughout the PDF document and in a matter of seconds, it will highlight all the elements found that match your search criteria .
- Finally, you can use the “Next ” or “Previous ” button, if you want to go from one element to another in the whole document.
On the other hand, there is also a trick that you can use by means of a combination of keys, when you need to carry out a more complex search within a PDF file.
If this is your case, you must carry out the following process:
- As in the previous case, access the PDF document with the software already indicated.
- Subsequently, perform the following key combination on your computer:
- If it is a Windows: “Shift + Ctrl + F “.
- If it is a Mac: “Shift + cmd + F “.
- Now you can see that, contrary to the previous situation, in this type of search they show you a window that contains many more options . Within them, the complete word search is located or even a search in which both uppercase and lowercase letters are taken into account. Like, the possibility of doing your search in all the PDF documents saved on the hard drive.
- Given the above, you can click to enter your search criteria and finally, click on “Search ” to find what you require.
On Android or iPhone phones
In the case of Android or iPhone mobiles, the procedures to follow are different. Therefore, let’s start with the steps you must take to locate a word in a PDF document, if you are an Android user.
What you should do on an Android device
It is important to note that, to execute this process, you must rely on an application that simplifies the management of your PDF document .
So, let’s get started:
- To carry out this procedure, it is valuable to have an application installed that allows you to open files with a “.pdf ” extension .
- The one we recommend is identified as “OfficeSuite + PDF Editor “. To obtain it, simply enter the Google Play Store, search for it with the indicated name and proceed to click on “ Install ”.
- Later, wait for the app installation process to finish automatically and click on “OK “.
- Now, you will access the main page of the application and in order to run it, you have to accept the terms and conditions, just by clicking on “Accept and continue .”
- In the main window of OfficeSuite + PDF Editor, click on the “PDF ” option and when a window similar to the one seen above is loaded, choose “Browse “.
- After that, choose the folder where you will find the PDF file to search and once you select it, it will open.
- When entering the document, you must click on the editing pencil icon that is located at the bottom of the screen.
- Later, go to the “Home ” tab at the top and click on the “Search ” option (with a magnifying glass icon).
- Finally, a navigator bar will open at the top and there, you have to enter the word or phrase to search for. In a short time, the app will shade all the matches found and to review each one, you simply have to press the right or left key that is in the same search bar.
To search on iPhone
The procedure to be followed by iPhone users is much faster and easier. However, they must also make use of a mobile application .
Thus, the steps to carry out are:
- To get started, open the “iBooks” app on your iPhone (it can also be done on an iPad, if you wish). Being this platform, a software app from Apple Inc.
- Inside iBooks, proceed to locate the PDF document that you have in your library, to open it.
- After that, they will show you a menu at the top of the screen and there, you have to press the magnifying glass icon .
- To finish, a search bar will be displayed where you can write the word or phrase to locate and now, click on the “Search ” option on your iPhone keyboard so that the application will show you all the results obtained, in a matter of seconds.
Using the Google Chrome browser
The famous Internet browser, Google Chrome; it is also considered an excellent mechanism to easily open a PDF document and, in addition, to be able to search for a word or phrase contained therein. The best thing is that the process to follow with Chrome is totally versatile and free.
In this way, let’s see the step by step that you have to do with this web browser:
- First of all, find the PDF document in your computer’s file browser and right-click on it.
- Automatically, a drop-down menu will open on the right side and there, you have to click on the “Open with …” option .
- Within the options provided by this section, you must select “Google Chrome “. But if you prefer to do it with just drag and drop the document in the web browser, you can also run it that way.
- Later, the same document will open in your search engine and now, you can proceed to search for the word you need in your PDF, just as if it were a website.
- At this point, it is time to click on the Chrome settings menu, to customize and control it. That is, press the icon of the three vertical dots.
- Within the options that they show you, click on “Search ” and finally, enter the word to be located so that the service will proceed to highlight all the matches found.
Advanced word search in a PDF using Adobe Acrobat Reader DC
In the previous section, we showed you how to run the word search using the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software using quick key combinations that work perfectly. But, you also need to know another way to use this program to locate a specific word or phrase .
Well, for this, you just have to open the PDF document from the main menu of the suite or even through the simplified menu that they show you after having used the program several times.
Later, when entering the file, click on the “Edit” option located in the upper horizontal menu and in the new drop-down menu, you have to select “Search”, which will show you a box to enter the word you want to get and when writing it, just click on “Next ” to find all the matches.
On the other hand, there is also the possibility of carrying out an advanced search for words with this program and it is about the facility that it emits to search for the same combination of letters in more than one PDF document, simultaneously.
To carry out this kind of search, the process is as follows:
- Open the PDF document with Adobe Acrobat Reader DC as indicated in the previous part and click on the “Edit ” option .
- Now, in the new drop-down menu that opened, locate the option “Advanced Search ” and click on it. This is just after the “Search ” button .
- Later, you will access a new window where you can choose the selection “All PDF documents in ” just by checking .
- Now, you must select the folder where all your files are . In order to do so, start the simultaneous search for the word you need to find.
In addition to this, the advanced search menu of Adobe Acrobat Reader DC also gives you the simplicity of making use of other functions such as searching for a phrase exactly , finding upper and lower case matches, searching in bookmarks, including in comments, etc. . In this way, to greatly refine the search process within various PDF documents.