Although it is not the most recent version of Microsoft Windows, the truth is that Windows 7 has been one of the most famous OS in the world . Since, thanks to its different advantages and functionalities, it managed to establish itself as a system with great capacity . Which is why, up to now, there are many people who make use of this version of Windows .
This, basically, is due to the fact that W7 supports various processor platforms, occupies little memory, provides greater synchronization between the user and the computer, also saves energy, etc. In this sense, currently, many Windows 7 users are looking for different solutions that allow them to optimize their experience . One of them is to use the main administrator account .
But, beyond knowing the steps to follow to enable an administrator account in Windows 7, operating system customers are also interested in knowing how to modify the name of said account correctly . For this reason, here we will show you what the administrator account is for and what is the process to run to change its name .
What is the Windows 7 Administrator account and what is it for?
Although it is true, the Windows 7 administrator refers to that user who has the power to control the entire computer and, therefore, decides who can access it, who cannot and what each person can do when running the operating system. This means that an administrator account is defined as a user account that allows changes to be made that influence the experience of other users .
Thus, in addition to deciding who can access the machine and determining what they can do on it, people who use an administrator account in Windows 7 are also able to install new software and hardware . In the like, change the configuration of security systems, access all files on the system, etc .
Therefore, using an administrator account serves to have permissions that other users cannot take advantage of . Well, as we discussed earlier, this type of account serves to oversee the entire system, unlike other accounts that cannot intervene in any way in the user experience of a different account.
Learn step by step how to change the name of the Windows 7 administrator account
Given that enabling an administrator account in any version of Windows requires a process that involves considerable work, surely you will think that modifying the name of an account of this nature is also complicated .
However, fortunately, it consists of an easy procedure to carry out that we present here:
- First of all, you need to create a restore point on your system . This refers to the configuration of the computer at a given time and, basically, allows the machine to return to that same configuration in case of registry damage when making changes .
- Once you’ve created a restore point with Windows Help, it’s time to open the Registry Editor . For which, you have to press the Start icon and from the search box, type “regedit” . When you get the results, select Regedit .
- Now, the system will probably ask you for an administrator or confirmation password and you will need to enter it correctly .
- Next, once the W7 Registry Editor opens, go to the left window and double-click on each of the following registry keys : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, SOFTWARE, Microsoft, and Windows NT.
- Later, you have to select “CurrentVersion” and double click on “RegisteredOwner” in order to change the name of the administrator user.
- At this point, you need to type in the new username and then click OK . With this, it only remains to proceed to close the Registry Editor .
- Finally, to confirm that the changes have been saved correctly, open the Windows Explorer window and right-click on “Open Windows Explorer” . Next, click on “Help” and then on “About Windows” ; from that window you can see if the username is the one you set.
BONUS: Rename the administrator account in Windows 10
In the case of the latest version of Microsoft Windows, it is also possible to change the administrator name .
Here we let you know what you need to do to achieve it:
- To begin, you have to access your Windows 7 computer and go to the start menu of it .
- Next, in the search engine that the system offers you in that section, enter the term “netplwiz” and then press the Enter key .
- After that, you will get the properties window corresponding to the User Accounts . Through this, search for the user you want to modify and double click on it .
- Once this is done, a new window will automatically open in which it will be possible to make that change.
- Thus, through the “General” tab , go to the “Username” box and modify the default name to write the new name. Taking into account that, you should not change anything in the “Full name” and “Description” boxes .
- After doing the indicated, all that remains is to click on the OK button and then click on Apply .
- In addition, to make sure that the changes have been saved correctly, you have to close the current user session to open it again and there, check that the name in question has been changed.