When you work on a spreadsheet you will have the opportunity to find hundreds of rows and columns available there, all this can become a real advantage when you have to work with very long documents, but sometimes it can get to become a real problem, especially if they do not remain fixed.
It is not a secret to anyone that working with Microsoft software can be a bit complicated, especially if you do not know how to use all its functions and a few tricks that make your work easier. That is why a very good option to avoid complications when working there is to block the rows and columns .
In accordance with this, here we are going to show you how you can start to freeze the columns of a spreadsheet, a very simple procedure that will allow you to work with much more comfort, especially in those large documents . To do this, follow in detail everything that we will teach you below.
When is it necessary to fix an Excel column and what advantages does it have?
As mentioned previously in the post, this column fixing tool is recommended to be used especially when you are working with a very extensive calculation document where you even need to work with several of them. This means that you will be handling many complete rows, so problems often arise when remembering which column you are working on, especially if you handle a lot of numerical data that can cause confusion.
It is also important to note that many computer monitors are very small, making it even more difficult to see the entire specific area of the table that is being used . Also, when dealing with a lot of data, the document tends to scroll down, causing you to lose sight of all the data that is being used in the spreadsheet . In this case, the user must be scrolling up every moment to be able to remember the information that is there .
All this will undoubtedly cause you a waste of time, so the productivity of your work will decrease . Therefore, being able to fix each of the columns will give you the possibility of working in a much more orderly way, so your work with long documents will be much faster.
Steps to pin a column in a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet
As has already been mentioned throughout the post, this is an option that is very useful and attractive for most users, especially for those who have to create very long documents on this platform.
This blocking option can be done for both a row and a column, they will remain visible although they cannot be moved in any way, either up or down . This is done with the possibility that users can see all the information they are handling all the time. This function is found in Excel as “Freeze”.
To apply it you must follow these steps:
- In the case that you want to freeze a row, then you must go to the “View” tab and there you select the option “Freeze upper row”.
- To apply this function to a column, then you must go back to “View” and there “Freeze first column”.
- However, when the “Freeze” menu is displayed you can see that there is a third option available, it is “Freeze panels” with this option you will have the opportunity to block both rows and columns that are above the selected cell and to the left of the same cell.
- In the case that what you want is to block several rows, then you must select the row below the rows to block and again go to “View”> “Freeze”> “Freeze panels”. While in the case of columns you must select the column to the right of the ones you want to select and then follow the same steps above.
- Keep in mind that this function of locking columns and rows works in the following way, if you lock a row first and then lock a column, then the row will be unlocked . You should also bear in mind that it only supports the first columns and rows, that is, it is not possible to lock the rows and columns in the middle of the spreadsheet , but only the first ones.