Today it is very common to use devices for automation of homes and industrial processes through the use of electronic controllers. This is achieved through the use of the branch of electronics known as home automation .
In this sense, it will be useful to have devices to control certain processes at home, such as the Sonoff Basic, so we will be talking about how to install and configure the Sonoff Basic device to control lights via WiFi.
Advantages of having Sonoff Basic devices
Among the advantages that you will have by having a Sonoff Basic device you have the possibility of fully automating your home with little money ; and it is that these devices have a low cost compared to others of similar performance.
On the other hand, you will not need other intermediary elements to carry out the work you are looking for; as these devices integrate both control and power. That is to say, you will be able to command the operating logic that the equipment already integrates plus the switching on or off of equipment.
In this sense, you will not have to program the microprocessor that incorporates the Sonoff Basic, you will only have to configure it to perform the function you need. Although if you like you can learn to program the internal microcessor of the Sonoff Basic and you will do it yourself.
Step by step to install and configure the Sonoff Basic device
In principle you must have a series of elements and tools that will allow you to do the job, among them you must have flat and star screwdrivers, wire strippers ; In addition, you must have a smartphone where you will install the App for the Sonoff Basic device. Here are the steps you must follow to install the equipment:
- First of all you must locate cables to power the Sonoff device, it is recommended to locate the input and output to make the proper connection of the device.
- Once you have the cables available for the input of the equipment, you must proceed to connect the cables to it, for this use the cable stripper tool and screw the cables into each corresponding pin. Remember that the device can operate at 120/240 V.
- Locate the lights that you want to control through your Sonoff Basic device, it is recommended to identify the power cables of these lights to make the interruption through the equipment.
- Use a tool to cut the wires from the lights and proceed to strip the wires at the ends that were left free.
- Place the cables of the lights in the output pins of the equipment, supporting yourself with the appropriate tools to do so.
- Attach the caps that protect the cables on each side of the device.
- Plug in the power cable of the device and verify by pressing the button on the equipment, you must turn on the lights when you press it the first time and then turn them off if you press it again.
Once you have made the connection of your device to both the power cable and the light cable, you must proceed to configure the equipment. To do this, we suggest you follow the following steps:
- Search your Apps manager (App Store for iPhone or Play Store for Android) for the eWeLink application and proceed to download it.
- Connect the WiFi on your mobile device and open the eWeLink App.
- Press the “+” button located in the central part of the App and then press and hold the physical button of your Sonoff Basic device for 5 seconds until it flashes rapidly.
- Press the next button on the App and enter the WiFi credentials.
- Press the continue button again and wait for the pairing process of the device with the App to finish.
- Put the name that the equipment will have to identify it in your App and you will have wireless control of your lights from your mobile.
Finally, you should know that you can have as many controlled devices as you want in your eWeLink App, you only have to place one Sonoff device for each load or item you want to control. You can also download the eWeLink App and see its details so that you have it handy.